AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
painting frit, construction equipment

Making a flat back piece for a bulldozer, I use Dow products, have painted frits before with their 5504, but they are ok but not perfect, easy to get brush marks so to speak. 4-5 inch wide frit needs to be painted. urethaned to cab

Any suggestions on another product or technique ?

Thanks, Dave

Re: painting frit, construction equipment

Hire an artist

I tape it off with masking tape, then use a cotton dauber. They usually look about perfect. HTH's

Larry
Dumb question is this a gasket or a Glue in?

Larry

Dave in Mass
4-5 inch wide frit needs to be painted. urethaned to cab

Thanks, Dave

Try reading. It's fundamental Larry

Picasso
Larry
Dumb question is this a gasket or a Glue in?

Larry

Dave in Mass
4-5 inch wide frit needs to be painted. urethaned to cab

Thanks, Dave

Try reading. It's fundamental Larry

Hard to read from the screen on my phone but you got me good :)

For better results pick up an airbrush kit from a hobby store. Uses a can of air and you get great results with no brush strokes.

I have masked off where the frit needs to be and scuffed the glass with red scotch brite pad and used a throw away spray paint sprayer,you can usually get them at a hardware store or paint store, they come with a glass jar and a co2 spray nozzle about 10 bucks and I use 5504g Dow and a couple coats works great. I haven't had any problems yet and it gets 115 degrees here in the summer and 20 in the winter and we do allot of heavy equipment that needs a frit to protect the urethane, you just need to make sure no sunlight gets through and you cleaned glass and scuffed it good. Just remember its not a show dozer but make it look as good as you can..HTH
John

We now use black vinyl wrap on the outside of the glass. Used it for several years now. The vinyl has not peeled or discolored yet. This way urethane will stick better to raw glass when akitaveted...

Larry,

Most smart phones these days have screens that you can enlarge the window to read the print....lol....

We use a touch up paint gun. We mix 1/2 primer with 1/2 MEK. We use fine line 1/4 tape for the outline and then cover the area we don't want painted with masking tape and paper. Works great. If you do this you have to clean the gun with acetone immediately or you will need a new gun. HTH

foam brush

Spring for individual primer sticks (they have a foam head) and apply in one direction, let flash and give a second coat if necessary.
Ooops...

Don't have a problem with any of these methods as long as they prep the glass properly and of equal importance protect the urethane from UV rays.

Black vinyl tape looks good and guarantees uv rays won't degrade the primer/urethane.

If this is so then all glass urethaned in should have a frit all around where it is urethaned at. There is a lot that don't have this.
DW 724,785,709,++++++++++++++++++++++++++. When they first started using frits in the late 60's, it was cosmetic; to hide the sealant. Where is proof that UV rays damage/degrade the urethane? If we are told to use urethane to install glass, why don't the manufactures put frits correctly on all glass that is to be urethaned in???

WU
If this is so then all glass urethaned in should have a frit all around where it is urethaned at. There is a lot that don't have this.
DW 724,785,709,++++++++++++++++++++++++++. When they first started using frits in the late 60's, it was cosmetic; to hide the sealant. Where is proof that UV rays damage/degrade the urethane? If we are told to use urethane to install glass, why don't the manufactures put frits correctly on all glass that is to be urethaned in???

Nags,AGSC,DOW,SIKA,and a few others are good sites for you to read and learn.

WU, IF, you have taken any certification classes for any urethane you would have learned that that one of the things the frit does is block uv rays from attacking the urethane bond.

WU

Then why are the older glasses without a full frit, are not converted to a full frit? If this is so important you think the manufs would do this. I can't read.

Because all of the windshields you have listed originated before urethane was used by the manufacturers. They probably consider the chrome molding on these part #'s to be efficient enough to protect the urethane from UV.

WU
I can't read.

The site has pix's.........

Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest and the ungrateful.
Ooops...

L.W.
Because all of the windshields you have listed originated before urethane was used by the manufacturers. They probably consider the chrome molding on these part #'s to be efficient enough to protect the urethane from UV.

DW0837 is a prime example of what L.W. is saying. Dow and Sika both recommend you paint a frit with black primer even with the chrome moldings. And all factory installs was with tape kits on this. All technicians had to convert this into urethane sets to be NHTSA compliant...

I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. LW, the 887/888 changed into the 1016. the DW 871/2 had numerous changes to the 1066+++. On these the frit went up the sides but was never on the top, doesn't the top count?????????????

WU
I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Change from your right hand to your left and maybe you will equalize your vision!!!

Those models had wide chrome moldings that obviously kept the uv rays from degrading the urethane.

Dave in Mass
Making a flat back piece for a bulldozer, I use Dow products, have painted frits before with their 5504, but they are ok but not perfect, easy to get brush marks so to speak. 4-5 inch wide frit needs to be painted. urethaned to cab

Any suggestions on another product or technique ?

Thanks, Dave

I believe Dave's post was centering around equipment and machinery, not automotive applications. In that context, I also assume that means he's looking for wide applications of blackout that are commonly found on glass parts to hide dashes, roll cage supports and such from the exterior view, not necessarily there to protect the urethane from UV.

In that context, he's trying to avoid an expensive "dealer part" for the customer by cutting a lami part or just having a flat tempered part fabricated, then applying a primer to simulate the frit the OE part originally had.

As one poster said, it's a bull dozer, the customer is after cost savings, and willing to sacrifice the perfect pretty dot matrix frit to get those savings.

It's not uncommon to be able to save a customer 30-40 percent by doing this.

HTH and JMHNLO

Smiley
Those models had wide chrome moldings that obviously kept the uv rays from degrading the urethane.

Assuming the suns rays refract throught the glass the frit should be between the thane and the inside of the inner sheet of glass. Some frits are on the inside of the outer piece of glass. Would the suns rays degrade the thane faster with the frit on the later way??? If this was so important all glass urethaned in would have a full frit covering the thane.

Uri thane
WU, IF, you have taken any certification classes for any urethane you would have learned that that one of the things the frit does is block uv rays from attacking the urethane bond.

WU

Here you go Uri Thane & WU:
Germany’s Aachen University conducted a study between 1989 and 1995
on the value of UV-blocking “blackout” primers. The study was supported
by 13 European automotive suppliers and manufacturers,
including Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and most or all of the major European OEM urethane manufacturers, (I will let you figure out who they are/were)
The Aachen study concluded that blackout primer is necessary for
use with ceramic coatings typical in today’s auto glass, in order to
protect the bond from deteriorating due to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.
According to the study’s summary:
“For all adhesive systems a distinct destruction of the bond was found if
no glass primer (blackout) was used.
Only the bonds using a blackout primer gave acceptable durability.”
conditions – accelerated weathering, UV light, and water.

So the frit bands only partially block the UV light, not all. Just shine a light on most of todays frits and light will be visible through many (90% or so) of the frits.
Ooops...

Used the co2 powered glass jar Preval brand sprayer and it worked great. 5504 dow primer, needed 2 coats , scuffed with pad first, could'a been a SHOW DOZER.

Sometimes you don't save the customer a lot of money, but you get the machine back in service quick and that makes him a lot of money.

Thanks for the input all.

Dave

mask the zone, pour primer into a disposable container, dip foam pad in and apply to area on glass. one direction in one sweep for a smooth finish, or dabbing with the foam for a pickled finish.
can buy mini paint roller sets with foam roller, about 3 inches wide. also works well.
prefer to mask off with a fine edge tape to avoid the "fuzzy edge" left by masking tape.

We use Sika products, so we use the 207 Primer to apply to custom made glass that require a frit. Im not sure if this would work with Dow products though, check with your rep.

Application is with a micro sponge. They are also called magic sponges (used for getting marks off walls with only water). Sika also has these sponges and they recommend them for cleaning the glass edges also. Im not convinced they do much good for cleaning, but to be fair they do no harm either. If you cut an "L Shape" in them you can obtain a perfect edge without masking, especially handy when painting a radius or shape. See demonstration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kKpL6Ru4As

You should aim for several applications especially if in a hot climate. What can happen if painting a large area of the glass (to hide windscreen wiper box etc) is the primer can crack up and flake off months later. We have had some of these problems recently on work less than 1 year old. We rectified these problems and are investigating our methods. It does appear common especially here where it gets 30 deg plus in summer.

Advice is to shake tin well, clean the glass well, and wait the full flash off time between applications. NO NOT use alcohol based window cleaner, its said to contaminate. Use several sponges /daubers if large area. Don't double dip.

The problems we had were on Lanfill Drotts so the working environment was not exactly ideal. That said there was no other option to take a 30 ton Landfill Drott back to the workshop.

Hope this helps

Michael Smedley
Service 8® Auto Glass

I always want my bulldozer to look chic and stylish when it trudges through the mud on a construction site. I will never tolerate a brush mark on the glass!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com