AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Giving away services

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe when someone is doing windshield repairs for 4.95 even if its for charity it just not smart. When we as an industry devalue our labor it make me sick.

Re: Giving away services

I agree Larry nothing under $9.99. Again the windshield repair business is a fraud business $50.00 for a repair lol.

Jim
I agree Larry nothing under $9.99. Again the windshield repair business is a fraud business $50.00 for a repair lol.

a damaged w/s is replace because the damaged area is a visual obstruction. I've replaced many w/s where the "repaired" area & the drill dot were visible. The glass was hit & broken again beyond the "acceptable" criteria for a repair. The point is: if a W/S is replaced due to a vision obstruction & the repair remains visible, shouldn't it be replaced? Does Bel/Safe charge Ins. Companies once for the repair & then again if the w/s has to be replaced?

Sglass
Jim
I agree Larry nothing under \$9.99. Again the windshield repair business is a fraud business \$50.00 for a repair lol.

a damaged w/s is replace because the damaged area is a visual obstruction. I've replaced many w/s where the "repaired" area & the drill dot were visible. The glass was hit & broken again beyond the "acceptable" criteria for a repair. The point is: if a W/S is replaced due to a vision obstruction & the repair remains visible, shouldn't it be replaced? Does Bel/Safe charge Ins. Companies once for the repair & then again if the w/s has to be replaced?

Jim, laugh all you want. The insurance industry has been paying that and more for over 20 years. The problem is they now use TPA's and these antiquated rates
and we roll over. Windshield repair is a proven way to prevent further damage.
Check your own insurance policy to see if your insurance company doesn't make it your DUTY to protect your vehicle and prevent further damage after any type of loss including but not limited to rock chips.

Sglass,
Customer satisfaction is what counts. Most people don't concentrate on the glass itself. They look through it and concentrate on what matters, i.e. other vehicles, pedestrians, road signs etc. Haven't you ever driven at night and noticed the next morning that your windshield was covered with bug splats? A small dot from a drill hole will not obstruct vision.

If the customer is not satisfied with the repair, then the original claim should be escalated to a replacement so the policyholder is not charged with another claim.

Here is another way to handle this situation, if you do glass replacement at these dealerships why don't you offer chip repairs as well I hired a guy that is all he does and it keeps the whole business in house,repairs and replacements

We must now have 2 Jims.

JB
Sglass
Jim
I agree Larry nothing under \\\$9.99. Again the windshield repair business is a fraud business \\\$50.00 for a repair lol.

a damaged w/s is replace because the damaged area is a visual obstruction. I\'ve replaced many w/s where the \"repaired\" area & the drill dot were visible. The glass was hit & broken again beyond the \"acceptable\" criteria for a repair. The point is: if a W/S is replaced due to a vision obstruction & the repair remains visible, shouldn\'t it be replaced? Does Bel/Safe charge Ins. Companies once for the repair & then again if they did it has to be replaced?

Sglass,
Customer satisfaction is what counts. Most people don't concentrate on the glass itself. They look through it and concentrate on what matters, i.e. other vehicles, pedestrians, road signs etc. Haven't you ever driven at night and noticed the next morning that your windshield was covered with bug splats? A small dot from a drill hole will not obstruct vision.

If the customer is not satisfied with the repair, then the original claim should be escalated to a replacement so the policyholder is not charged with another claim.

Then why did I get hundreds or even thousands of complaints from my customers (wholesale), over the years, about replacement windshields that had minute scratches in them or minor/ major distortions in them and I had to replace them, because the car owner would not accept them? Did you ever Google "Distorted Windshields"? There are volumes of horses butt postings by know it all car owners that say their old windshield NEVER had a distortion and only the replacement ones do, and the ones who say all cars have distorted windshields and that no one can make them like the old days when the windshields were not distorted.
Seems like the ones who say people should look "through the windshield" rather than "at the windshield", are glass manufacturers and windshield repair guys that repair windshields that should be replaced.
Also what is one of the most common questions asked, when it comes to windshield repair? Especially if it is in the acute area.
How about this one: Will it COMPLETELY disappear? And the answer is: NO!! Why do they ask that? Maybe it is because it disappears in the Safelite add, now doesn't it? Every time he flicks his finger at that chip, it goes away.
Do you or anyone out there need practice doing repairs, that they know will not completely disappear, hopping that the customer will not see and say it is acceptable? Don't think so.
Ooops...

Jim
We must now have 2 Jims.

Well at least its not 2 Larry's thank GOD!

Consumers expect quality when they buy something new. Not distorted or scratched.

We train our people to give the customer a reasonable expectation of what the cosmetic results will be when repairs are done. Down play and then over achieve and the customer will be happy.

Larry
Jim
We must now have 2 Jims.

Well at least its not 2 Larry's thank GOD!

That might be bad LOL.

We do chip and small crack repair. We tell the upfront that no repair is invisible, and it might crack out during the repair. Finally they are told that if they are not satisfied they get the money back or credited to a replacement.

Surprisingly we are getting more laminated door glass repairs.

MrPhil. Do the door glasses repair as the w/s's do or do you do any thing different to them?

Lee
MrPhil. Do the door glasses repair as the w/s's do or do you do any thing different to them?

The only issue we had was our delta bridge didn't make it easy to get resin in the injector vertically. I made a curved mini funnel from a sanitized bendy straw.

I think the thinner resin works better since the majority of ours have the impact really low. If filling from the top down the medium viscosity fluid works ok.

Otherwise no real difference.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com