AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2 part epoxy for mirror bracket

had a customer come in with a Lincoln mirror hanging off, tried Loctite 1 min held for bit then came off, next j b weld two part 5 min still no good, what is every one else using on brackets with ceramic paint.. thank you markk

Re: 2 part epoxy for mirror bracket

Always used Loctite with no problems. Clean bracket and frit with degreaser, then scuff frit and back of mirror bracket with a scotchbrite pad, clean up both with glass cleaner, and apply Loctite primer to both surfaces. Put Loctite adhesive on rear of bracket and hold in place for 1 min. Always works for me.

Ditto, it's all in the prep.

Also make sure there are no burs, high spots, or low spots on your bracket. The two surfaces must meet up consistently or the adhesive will not cure properly. Over clamping in a vice or vice grip can cause these brackets to flare.

Knock it down with a sander, or sand paper. OR if you think it might be the bracket, buy a new bracket they are really cheap mygrant carries them

If its a mobile job and have no access to a sander. Find a level concrete sidewalk or road and run the button across it a few times to even and scrape it down. Then loctite it as usual

I have a mill ******* file that I use. You could always urethane it on and come back and then put the mirror on, only ever had to do this once on some goofy honda bracket like a 703 / 709 something like that..

are you talking about the normal mirror glue on the shields with frit? I thought that would crack around the bracket.. I should have scruffed the frit. I did wire wheel the bracket.. thank you for the tips

Ditto on the prep work. Clean, abrade and clean some more.

I have been using the Equalizer mirror bonding adhesive. I used Loctite for decades but have had issues with the primer spray losing pressure and it seems that it does not have a great shelf life. Been using the Equalizer product for 2 years with no problems.
Pilkington really has had major bonding issues with its DOT177 products. I have profited by rebonding many of their brackets from walk in customers but on balance lost time, money and customer confidence when they have failed with my installs. Especially when it came to bonding to frit paint.
It's hard to buy their "clear vision" ads when faced with the loss of vision if the rear view mirror has fallen off due to adhesive or cost cutting issues.
Actually had a mirror bracket pull off taking glass with it when tightening the torax set screw after an install this year. That has NEVER happened before. Some Pilk or PGW lites have had brackets so badly bonded that I have twisted them off by hand prior to install and rebonded them. Prefer that to happen than have to replace a brand new windshield because a quarter size chuck of glass came off when a bracket failed.

Agree on the Loctite primer losing psi. We used to get the big kit and it was a waste when the primer can starter failing. I actually sawed one apart to see what the problem was. The actual primer was eating away at the plastic nozzle parts. Thus causing psi loss and leaks. Guess they dont make anything the way they used to?????....lol

Sometimes we unbond the mirror/rain sensor bracket on purpose of known part# issue and rebond with urethane and let sit overnite. This preventive procedure will avoid future issue's with your customers...

I always level the button on concrete, sandpaper will work as well but I learned concrete in the service, then clean it and the glass/frit. Then dummy dot the outside of the glass. Then dummy dot the bracket (because I HAVE put em on bass ackwards) when the primer dries. Apply glue to bracket and match the dummy dots up. Hold for a count of 90. One of a hundred will fall off from heat. Clean off the dummy dot from the outside of the glass.

Thanks for the scoop on the Loctite Can. We just figured it was us and the local climate going from cold to holyHeatWaveBatman in about 9 min. Might look at another vendor.

xs
Agree on the Loctite primer losing psi. We used to get the big kit and it was a waste when the primer can starter failing. I actually sawed one apart to see what the problem was. The actual primer was eating away at the plastic nozzle parts. Thus causing psi loss and leaks. Guess they dont make anything the way they used to?????....lol

Sometimes we unbond the mirror/rain sensor bracket on purpose of known part# issue and rebond with urethane and let sit overnite. This preventive procedure will avoid future issue's with your customers...

Here is an interesting side note on the primer. After selling and using Loctite mirror adhesive for over 30 years, someone told me why the primer goes bad so fast. You know when you use a can of spray paint, you are supposed to turn the can upside down and spray it until the nozzle has no paint left in it?
Well you are supposed to do the same thing with the Loctite Primer. The primer does not cure like the paint does, blocking the hole, it just breaks down the plastic, rendering the primer unusable over time. I have not tried this myself, but it is worth a shot

Try this two part from Sika,it is Sika Fast 5215NT it works with the black patch and door glass Brackets.
It is easy to clean up. You will have to purchase mixing tips and a caulking gun from your supplier.
Cost outlay is not much. I also keep some single application cards on the truck. Right Know I use it for door glass and windshield with the the black patch.

Google
Sika Fast 5215NT
Click on
PDF SikaFast 5215 NT-Sika Canada

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com