AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dodge power slider

We took a job to install a used power slider.when we got there the cables were cut on the used back glass. we looked at the cables on the broken one and there was no tension on the cables so we disconnected them from the window and let them sit until the used window was installed. we reconnected the cables they snap in place real easy. when we tried to use it it would only open an inch. the regulator was moving but it was just spinning around in the enclosed plastic. The customer drove back and said it was working fine before and now is saying i need to pay for his regulator and for someone to install it. I never did a power slider before but it seemed so strait forward disconnect the cables that had no tension and re connect them. Is there something I missed?

Re: dodge power slider

What you missed is never warranty a customer supplied part or used part, that is our policy, try taking in your own eggs to a diner and have them cook them for you see how that works for you...jmho

yup! your right! its so rare I run across someone like this I guess I got lazy. He wasn't there when we started the job or i am sure I would have mentioned something. He just had his credit card payment declined.

the job is one thing the cc trans action is another.

job
as mentioned before, why warranty a used part or a client supplied part? document everything and communicate with client. use your smart phone and take pictures and attached to invoice if possible.

credit card
if the client declined/ contested charges you still have options. if swiped his card( be it a stand alone terminal or mobile app with swipe, checked there id( we document every id for cc transactions) and verified they were the card holder, and then captuered their signature( orginal with pen or on a mobile device) you can contest the "charge back" and keep your earned money.
if you elect not to fight for your money and are "charged back" you not only have that money taken, but also admin fees. fight for your money.
credit card processors rate you as a merchant. the more charge backs the higher risk you are and will be charged higher processing rates.

customers will always throw you under the bus a big lesson we all have learned in this business. I would have not started the work until the customer was present and there was something signed stating that the supplied part was damaged. Live and Learn

I agree people with used glass I normally pass on

Let me see if I have this straight.

The customer's back glass was broken.

He supplied you with a damaged used part.

You installed the part he supplied, and used his original regulator and cables attached to his used replacement part.

And now he wants YOU to install a new motor and drive?

Exactly what legs is this guy standing on? I can't imagine any judge in his right mind siding with the car owner on this one. At BEST in the customer's favor, it's equally your word against his what was working and what wasn't.

In reality, you removed his damaged part, and at least attempted to install the part he provided, which was also damaged, for him, and make it work.

Seems cut and dried to me. Politely say no, and thank him for his business and tell him he is free to call someone else next time, and hope he does.

Of course, that's JMHNLO.

I would have told the guy to pound sand from the door.

Thanks for all the responses. The advice on this forum helped me out a lot over the years. I definitely need to tighten up some things here. Its so rare this happens but when it does it makes me look back at all the procedures I did early in business that I don't do now to protect myself.

Also just a side note I will not install a customer supplied or used part unless they pay green dollar bills ...they cannot cancel the payment that way

We actually have a stock of used glass we got from a salvage yard that got bought out. It is a CASH/NO WARRANTY of any sort transaction. We will install the part if asked and the same process is followed. I think the owner also has the customer sign a waiver of some sort as well.

Customers are always right even if wrong. That explains why I am content to get paid by the hour. The owner has far more relaxed attitude about the whole thing than I would have.

Good luck. I hope you eventually get paid.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com