AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old School job

Ooops
D A M N YANKEE
Yesterday I had a an old DW 1022 to do. For those of you that cant look it up or know what it is, 1987 Buick Somerset Regal. The car was in surprisingly good condition, So I decided to try cutting it out the old way, cold knife and long knife, pushing with my head. Well let me tell you that pushing with our heads was the dumbest thing we ever did back in the day. It was uncomfortable top of my head started to hurt, seemed like the long knife wasn't cutting so I gave up and got out the extractor. 5 seconds and bottom was cut out.
That's when you can appreciate the tools you use nowadays, Do it the hard way first. Sure wish I came up with the idea of the extractor.

A DW1022, had the bead of urethane on the edge of the glass, all of the way around. Back then, we had a 3/4" cold knife blade and that was it. My guess if you were using a long knife, the cowl was still on, correct? Take it off, cut it from the outside, your neck will be fine.
Ooops...

Hey Ooops yes the wiper cowl did come off, That's when I got the idea of doing it the old way. I never used to pull wiper cowls at diamond. So this post was to just have a old school blast from the past, now you want to try and tell me how to remove a windshield. I'll bet your more of a Hack than most on here if your first thought was to remove wiper cowl. for some people like me that is the a natural thing to do is remove the cowl first. So I don't think of posting that part in a tread. And yes I did try to pull cold knife across bottom wasn't happening. Also I even put new stops in where they where supposed to go. you said something in the aspect of cold knifing all the way around on theses cars, Well how many fenders did you scratch and bend seeing that the bottom corners of that windshield go right next to the fenders and with that curve of the glass you would have SCRATCHED the fender for sure.... So here is a lesson for you KNOW what your talking about before you decide to call someone out.

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

Re: Old School job

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE
Yesterday I had a an old DW 1022 to do. For those of you that cant look it up or know what it is, 1987 Buick Somerset Regal. The car was in surprisingly good condition, So I decided to try cutting it out the old way, cold knife and long knife, pushing with my head. Well let me tell you that pushing with our heads was the dumbest thing we ever did back in the day. It was uncomfortable top of my head started to hurt, seemed like the long knife wasn't cutting so I gave up and got out the extractor. 5 seconds and bottom was cut out.
That's when you can appreciate the tools you use nowadays, Do it the hard way first. Sure wish I came up with the idea of the extractor.

A DW1022, had the bead of urethane on the edge of the glass, all of the way around. Back then, we had a 3/4" cold knife blade and that was it. My guess if you were using a long knife, the cowl was still on, correct? Take it off, cut it from the outside, your neck will be fine.
Ooops...

Hey Ooops yes the wiper cowl did come off, That's when I got the idea of doing it the old way. I never used to pull wiper cowls at diamond. So this post was to just have a old school blast from the past, now you want to try and tell me how to remove a windshield. I'll bet your more of a Hack than most on here if your first thought was to remove wiper cowl. for some people like me that is the a natural thing to do is remove the cowl first. So I don't think of posting that part in a tread. And yes I did try to pull cold knife across bottom wasn't happening. Also I even put new stops in where they where supposed to go. you said something in the aspect of cold knifing all the way around on theses cars, Well how many fenders did you scratch and bend seeing that the bottom corners of that windshield go right next to the fenders and with that curve of the glass you would have SCRATCHED the fender for sure.... So here is a lesson for you KNOW what your talking about before you decide to call someone out.

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE

Ooops...

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE

Ooops...

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE

Ooops...

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE

Ooops...

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
Ooops
D A M N YANKEE

Ooops...

that is all for now
D A M N YANKEE OUT !!!!!

You could be right!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com