AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Small Shops See a Slowing But Bel/Safe Backed Up

Sglass
m
10 yrs at Safelite and i see Many customers coming back. I just dont get it from some of you , the installer goes out , greets the cust, explains the install, wire, no scratch at times, prime and shoot. why would they not come back? the just got a good job done and are happy. (Most) thats why we have been busy for a couple yrs, I havent done less than 6 a day in a year.and 6 days a week.

The big issue isn't the installers, it's the major intrusion of Bel/Safe between Indies and THEIR customer base. The unfairness of the Bel/Safe model to their competition is incredible. It's not about all the work being done, it's about how it's acquired.

Ok m I am sure safelite has some good installers. They have to have SOME anyway. But I have known many over the years and currently. I agree with Sglass on his statement.

I have seen first hand most of the WORST installs done by safelite installers than any other company HANDS DOWN. I have known installers who were pushed to do 10-16 PER DAY and they got real good at HACK & STUFF. 20 minute jobs, no primers, and they didn't care. They told me many times "Doesn't matter I will not see that vehicle again so I will crank em out and make as much $$$$as I can".

I am not saying ALL safelite installers are bad, I have also know a few, very few, that were EXCELLENT. They took pride in their work. And I would trust them completely. If the management would focus on the installers slowing down and doing GREAT work, the company would be Totally different than it is. It would be a real good company. But the big dollars and numbers would not tally up, because safelite operates strictly by VOLUME and CHEAP (GAI). Without the SGC network, safelite would be LONG GONE. You may not understand how it works, But take away their ability to steer and steal they would be right back to BANKRUPTCY. Just in case you can't or don't want to believe it, just look at the $$$$$$$$$$$ and effort they are spending in Connecticut, with their fight against the legislation to stop them.

You are most likely a very good employee who is one of their best installers, and you will love them right up and until they stab you in the back. Benn there, seen it several times, and more. good luck to you.

Sglass
Local Indies I've spoken to see a slowing in daily replacements but are getting more "can you do my car today? My Insurance Co. tells me I have to wait 7-14 days before I can have it done." phone calls. Why isn't there investigation into why this is happening in our Industry? Can't put my finger on it but it seems like an unfair advantage in the market place is going on.
JMHO

Good question, but who is going to investigate it? The claims delay police??
Sadly the insurance companies do not care and are not going to investigate it.
It is clearly a good thing for the company getting all of the work, with the blessing of the insurance companies, so they do not care. The not-so independent TPA, who sends most all of the work to their sister company, surely will not. So who's left??
Sadly the big Ooops on this one, are all of the insured's who actually thinks, "my insurance company", was telling them to wait, when they were actually talking to the not-so 3rd party administrator. I think the only recourse is to have the car owners complain to the Department of Insurance in their respective states and pile on the complaints.

Ooops...

My doctor is so good and popular people are on a waiting list to have him operate on them.

Went to dinner for my birthday to a restaurant that is booked 6 or more months in advance.

People are willing to wait for things worth waiting for.

But they can't be worth waiting for, .....but they are because people do.

DL is gone, you won't be far behind. I'm gonna miss you. Your misguided comments bring a chuckle to start my day.

If you hand a technician more then 6 jobs a day. Expect them to remove cowls, use of interior protection, Set up wire removal system, work the 1tech, no long knives or extractors, clean all exterior windows, vacuum interiors, invoicing, customer service, travel time, 30 minute lunch's, paid 15 minute breaks for every 4 hours worked. How is the technician able to do all that in 8 hours?

Xs,
I do it every day u idiot.
0 warranty rate for 7 years

****. You all wish s l was bad,
I've seen your installs xs and u s u ck worse than any SL trainee.

There is a reason u r fired

Tech
Xs,

My,My only adolescence children call out names when they have nothing else to say....

0 warranty rate for 7 years??? Are you saying you still install glass for them? I left in over 15 years ago. And I didn't install glass for them at least 10 years prior leaving them. That makes you extremely a rare veteran there if thats the case. Very doubt you know who I am.... But good try.. well maybe NOT....lol

I know who you are and he is right you have no reason to cut SL down
I agree with that guy, he does know you

Another tech
I know who you are and he is right you have no reason to cut SL down
I agree with that guy, he does know you

Who's on 1st. What's on 2nd, I don't know is on 3rd. Who am I again???

Tech
Xs,

I think he's mad because he is a seasonal worker ?

.uh
We xs it's the truth

But
That script is written by the insurance co not s l
Even l y n x script is written by what ever ins they represent
If you think otherwise you really don't know tp a .
I do ...I work for one.

I can't believe how little some people know here how their industry actually works.
I'll make it easy for you.

Insurance co to T p a "you want to manage my claims?....then this is what you say and all you say or you don't manage anymore"

Dear .uh'
Give us a break! It goes more like this... Hey, Mr. Ins. Co. Please can we handle your glass claims, please oh please oh please! We will guarantee you average invoices, discounts on glass that you buy from us and we will even protect you from our dastardly competitors! Best of all, we will even write all of the scripts. (with your final approval of course, wink-wink)and we will even set up a network so we can help you control prices. But wait, that's not all. We will even do your inspections for you so we can capture even more of the market!

Well jb if you know how it works start your own TPA.

Another tech
Well jb if you know how it works start your own TPA.

Well at least he's not a slavelite DRONE. Washing windows and vacuuming cars like a jiffy lube oil change flunky

HMMM..just received another call from a person to set up a w/s replacement. They didn't care if Bel/Safe did it or not but didn't want to wait for the AGR company their "Insurance CO." wanted to use, so they called me. They were concerned about driving around with a broken w/s. Can only conclude Bel/Safe doesn't care about the safety or ticket possibilities the person faces while waiting. Only concern is that Bel/Safe gets the job.
Funny how the "official industry watchdogs" have blind eyes on this issue.
JMHO

While they are an easy target to direct an industry's wrath, in reality Safelite is no more than a well-paid stooge for the insurance companies. As "uh" said, they didn't write the garbage they spew everyday...their clients did. Look at the collision industry anti-trust suit in FL. Exact same scripting for those guys that we endure, but with no TPA in the middle of every transaction like we have.
It's a nice arrangement for SGC...until the heat gets a little too hot...at which time they outlive their usefullness and the insurance client throws them under the bus. Farmer's subsidary Bristol West recently moved to Lynx. Testing the water perhaps? Hartford? Others in queue? We'll see.

Bob
While they are an easy target to direct an industry's wrath, in reality Safelite is no more than a well-paid stooge for the insurance companies. As "uh" said, they didn't write the garbage they spew everyday...their clients did. Look at the collision industry anti-trust suit in FL. Exact same scripting for those guys that we endure, but with no TPA in the middle of every transaction like we have.
It's a nice arrangement for SGC...until the heat gets a little too hot...at which time they outlive their usefullness and the insurance client throws them under the bus. Farmer's subsidary Bristol West recently moved to Lynx. Testing the water perhaps? Hartford? Others in queue? We'll see.

You have an opinion, do you have any facts or credentials to back it up?

Just did another job where the customer didn't want to wait for Safelite. I love it when the tables are turned. Only negative is Safelite had replaced it before and made a mess. As usual.

Sould i post every job i get from a one man show? Out their names on here everyday? Man when are some of you going to grow up and move on with asking q's on installs and repairs or giving advise?. So tired of the bashing. I did a 2012 Ford Explorer which the One Man Band in the town over did says customer. Side moulds glued down, cowl tabs broken (well 1 made it safe). Looks like they pumped the urehane with a shake, oh and they never primed the lovely fein knofe gash at the top. Maybe i should tell who they are like you do?????. But i wont, i will just fix what i can and show the customer what was wrong. Another satisfied customer from a Safelite Install.

m
Sould i post every job i get from a one man show? Out their names on here everyday? Man when are some of you going to grow up and move on with asking q's on installs and repairs or giving advise?. So tired of the bashing. I did a 2012 Ford Explorer which the One Man Band in the town over did says customer. Side moulds glued down, cowl tabs broken (well 1 made it safe). Looks like they pumped the urehane with a shake, oh and they never primed the lovely fein knofe gash at the top. Maybe i should tell who they are like you do?????. But i wont, i will just fix what i can and show the customer what was wrong. Another satisfied customer from a Safelite Install.

Every rule has it' s exceptions. The problem is not so much the Tech as the fact that Bel/Safe's TPA is just a big steering & stealing mechanism.
JMHO

I understand what your saying but the BIG S isnt on her looking for advise or helping. The little guy's are. Not alot of hiring out there so we have to do what puts food on the table.

Why not try learning how to spell? If you struggle with English chances are you struggle with installing too. Just saying.

m
Not alot of hiring out there so we have to do what puts food on the table.

I feel your pain M. You do what you have to do.

because i forgot an E spelling her instead of here? You are #1 . Such a moron, post something usefull or dont post at all. Not everyone on here or in America was brought up speaking English 1st my friend. French, German and Dutch here. Sorry for the forgetting an E ant the end of a word. You need a girl a Pet or a Job. I need to get some sleep as i'm doing 7 hours on OT tomrw. Thats 45.00 an hour, did you understand that?

Wow. Somebody needs a time out. Look at your posts again. Ever heard of spell check? And $45 an hour? I wouldn't get out of bed for that. Just saying. By the way, I have a girl, a pet and I own the company.

Smiley
Wow. Somebody needs a time out. Look at your posts again. Ever heard of spell check? And $45 an hour? I wouldn't get out of bed for that. Just saying. By the way, I have a girl, a pet and I own the company.

I dont care about spell check, I am writing on a computer (playing) I'm not writing a paper or doing a test. If you own the company and posting that i spelled something wrong you must be a hoot to work for. I'm going to start to call you "THE KEYBOARD COMMANDO" And of course if you own the comp then 45 isnt much maybe. But do you pay your techs that? thought so..

Actually with wages and profit sharing my installers do make those kind of wages and they're worth every penny because they're the best hands down. And they don't have to work overtime or weekends. We all have families and there are more important things. We still don't make our customers wait as long as safelite does.
By the way, where are you finding time this morning to post when you have 6 jobs to do? And kudos on your spelling. You forgot to capitalize an I, but otherwise a stellar performance.

Your boring me already. I work OT because i'm not lazy.

Right : )

We had someone today that says when he called for a quote it would be 2 days. He said he couldn't wait. At that point he was told " no one else will do it right."
My customer had timely service and quality installation, but that is not what is being spewed to people. This was a cash job who called the number thinking they provided service 24 hours a day. This is the stuff that small shops must contend with daily.
We take pride in our work. We give our best service to every customer.
What a shame that sl has to bash the work of a shop they know nothing about.

Does m stand for meatball or moron

Yes : )

DAG You guys on here do it everyday.

Does DANO stand for Da-Know Nada . .

Guys and Girls what's wrong with the people on here?
I go to work, learn, teach, Interract with my customers, do the installs (JUST AS YOU) some maybe better some maybe not, never said i was the best but for example lets say a 2014 jeep cherokee i did today, Mirror off, wipers off, cowl off, wired (or can cold knife as there is plenty room to do it) Didnt scratch so just cleaned the pinchweld, shot a V Bead and set. The 7 guys and 44 jobs we did today all went smooth and all customers got a survey and 40 sent in already with all good things to say. What more can we ask? I'm a tech not the owner or a suit that sit's at a desk. I come here and all i see is Bashing of Belsafe, Slavelite, ETC..I cant say what steering they are doing as i dont care, if it's Bad it will stop if the Machine cannot be stopped then i guess we will have to live with it and MOVE ON. If your that good then you will get your biz by talking, ad's ,good workmanship.I would love a forum where i can talk autoglass and not how i spelled a word wrong..

M For what ever you like
DAG You guys on here do it everyday.

Does DANO stand for Da-Know Nada . .

Guys and Girls what's wrong with the people on here?
I go to work, learn, teach, Interract with my customers, do the installs (JUST AS YOU) some maybe better some maybe not, never said i was the best but for example lets say a 2014 jeep cherokee i did today, Mirror off, wipers off, cowl off, wired (or can cold knife as there is plenty room to do it) Didnt scratch so just cleaned the pinchweld, shot a V Bead and set. The 7 guys and 44 jobs we did today all went smooth and all customers got a survey and 40 sent in already with all good things to say. What more can we ask? I'm a tech not the owner or a suit that sit's at a desk. I come here and all i see is Bashing of Belsafe, Slavelite, ETC..I cant say what steering they are doing as i dont care, if it's Bad it will stop if the Machine cannot be stopped then i guess we will have to live with it and MOVE ON. If your that good then you will get your biz by talking, ad's ,good workmanship.I would love a forum where i can talk autoglass and not how i spelled a word wrong..

M

To be on this forum. You have to have thick skin. When you work at Slavelite. You have a big target on your back. No matter how good you are.

When I worked @ Slavelite. Most indies here try to slam me. When I became a Indie. Slavelite tries to Slam me. You will never win......

Hey m please tell us where you hide your extractor and long knive in your van

I bash no one. If I have a question I will ask. If I have something that I can add, to assist someone, I do it.
I only passed on what my customer told me. No more No less. I did, however, add that it is a shame.
It is a shame that small businesses are bashed by a script that doesn't know anything about the shop this customer may or may not choose.
The call center didn't know what shop he would call, so in general, they took another opportunity to say that we are bad. That is ALL OF US SMALL SHOPS.
This is not a script that is limited to one customer. It is not isolated.
I did not post to bash but you can be sure that, if I hear it from my customer, I am going to share it.

Dano
Hey m please tell us where you hide your extractor and long knive in your van

LOL..........Good one.......

I dont need an extractor or a long knife to do auto. We just cant have a Fein Knife,Long knife. Doesnt bother me 1 bit. If your good with a scraper then they work out just fine IMOP. Serious ? How is J.N Phillips?

M is for MONKEY

lol
M is for MONKEY

Wow did you think of that on your own? You are the new Jay Leno. Oh and monkeys are smarter than alot of humans , yea that means you. Your boring me again, please post of some work you did today, oh wait that would take 5 seconds...

M
lol
M is for MONKEY

Wow did you think of that on your own? You are the new Jay Leno. Oh and monkeys are smarter than alot of humans , yea that means you. Your boring me again, please post of some work you did today, oh wait that would take 5 seconds...

You are right, Monkeys are smarter than M. I agree with you on that. And you are so bored you sit out here and wait for a response, that's hilarious.As for the work I did today, well that would take about an hour or so just to post about, because a REAL glass shop does so much more than just auto glass. We have real challenges to fabricate, and CREATE more than you can even imagine in your little safejunk world. All fLAT GLASS, plexi, mirrors, ss, ds, 3/16, 1/4 plate, special fabrications, tempered, ig's residential to commercial.... This is WAY beyond what you can even dream of because you have no clue of what ALL glass means. you will never have the experience to "do it all" stuck in the mire of safecrud. If you want to really learn more than you can comprehend, learn how to do all types of glass in every form. You will then become a real glass guy. Until then you will remain a safecrap monkey.

You might even have a bit of talent for auto glass but that is just a small part of what it takes to be true GLASS SHOP. Some get it most never will, you MR. Monkey are the most who never will. Slash and hack away stinkjunkie.

lol
M
lol
M is for MONKEY

haha, I have been in Glass since 1993 and have done Flat for many yrs, Lexan, store fronts, In Boston buildings, Laying mirror on the walls of Gym's, You think u know all. I know plumbers that are very good but dont do OIL burners, So when your cut,sand and polish that 12x24 mirror and charge a cust 28.00 you can be proud of the profit you just made. haha..I'm an Auto Glass Tech never said a Glass Man. And i love this backed up thing, a few stories out of a thousand. I can give you the #'s of customers that said to me that i couldnt believe you got to me today as i just called yesterday. You dont know what your talking about. Ever call a dealer and say i want my car done NOW? aint going to happen bud. Believe me when i talk the truth and not what you read/Hear from others. I'm in the Mix and know what's going on, You dont plain and simple. Goodnight and dream on.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com