AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SL Dis-Advantage

Dl was the ultimate slavelite superhero defending that illegal business to the upmost. Well what he did to others was finally done to him. I hear slavelite is making all kinds of management cuts throughout the company finally getting rid of DEAD weight and bullies that claim to be managers. There so called managers are only one source of there problems there bigger problem is retaining and keeping good installers but in slavelite case it will always be a revolving door thanks to the BIG B.

Need to get as many done before people get tired of waiting for them & decide to go to an affiliate shop, even if their "Insurance Co." STRONGLY recommended using Bel/Safe only. They can redo later once $$$ is in pocket. If someone is injured in an accident, Oh Well.
JMHO

I hear they are hiring new deputies for the Slavelite Police Department. so they can roll up on techs alias QUALITY MANAGERS

buddboy
Dl was the ultimate slavelite superhero defending that illegal business to the upmost. Well what he did to others was finally done to him. I hear slavelite is making all kinds of management cuts throughout the company finally getting rid of DEAD weight and bullies that claim to be managers. There so called managers are only one source of there problems there bigger problem is retaining and keeping good installers but in slavelite case it will always be a revolving door thanks to the BIG B.

are you trying to say they 86ed Dave????

Doubt it ,

--EDIT--

Son of a B he sure is not there anymore! When did this happen???

buddboy

Just for the record, I think many would disagree with the "karma" and "what he did to others" comments, but I guess those type of statements are par for this course. Think what you want...DL will be just fine.

As far as "what he thinks of slavelite"...I think they are a company that is free to do what they see fit to achieve their definition of success. While I may disagree with certain aspects of things, I have no issue with them. That is business. The market and customers will ultimately decide whether they are right, or wrong. I have a ton of respect for Belron and many at S. Conversely, it drives me nuts to see independents continuously underestimating what the competition is good at and getting beat. WAKE UP, understand your inherent strengths and work to them....there is no magic bullet - but working to your strengths is as close to one as you will find.

My defense in the past regarding the snipe hunt that many of you are on to bring more government into business stands....shut up...MARKET, and RUN YOUR BUSINESS...how many court cases can you lose, or lobbyists can you pad before that becomes clear? you are not entitled to a marketplace where the competition plays nice. There are a ton of glass shops that are doing just fine by actually making an effort and investment, not waiting for jobs to come to them. I don't disagree with those that choose to eschew the networks, those that chase short pays, or those that aggressively fight to keep their own playing field level with solid phone strategies and innovative (legal) marketing tactics; what I do disagree with are those that feel this industry owes them jobs and blame others because they haven't done the right things to be successful. By the time the "ought to be a law" strategy pays dividends, many will be in a new line of work. Until the share gets to the point to draw scrutiny, it is an exercise in money wasted against an opponent that has more of it than you do.

Best of luck.

DL,

Sorry to here your departure from Stinklite. At these hard economical times no one should lose their job. But believe me it's better on this side of the fence. I left on my own behalf because I didn't agree with many of their practices. I had the opportunity to make my way to where I wanted to be. I'm not mad at them at all. In fact they gave me all the training to be their best competitor. I just don't have a muzzle over my mouth to voice my opinions anymore.

As far as a even playing field goes. Every business out here has to fight for equal market share. But its hard when the TPA is owned by the same replacement company and manufacturer. It's called the funnel effect. But that's just big business. Giant was Stinklite adversary for many years. They couldn't beat them and Giant made money. So they bought them finally. So there are ways to thrive in this industry. You just have to find what works for you.

Being upper management has difficult choices to make. Mite not always be morally correct. But has to be executed. But the choice is ultimately yours to choice what you need to do for one's self consciousness.

Nice reply...actually a productive conversation

The level playing field analogy is fine...as long as the definition of level playing field is accurate. There are FAR too many in this business that mistake a fair playing field and a subsidized business. Just because one tries hard doesn't mean one succeeds. Talent and strategy have to be part of the equation. I've been on both sides on the fence now...22 years as an indy and 8 in a corporate environment...both do things well. Both have weaknesses. Both have good people and bad people. The biggest difference I have seen in most small businesses fail to visibly exploit their own strengths on the right platform. The irony is those same strengths are often a larger businesses weaknesses.

As far as leadership / ethics / morality... I have to live with my actions and I have always led with that philosophy while keeping whatever objective at hand in mind - sometimes detrimentally to my own career. I'm ok with that. I sleep well and have helped far more folks find success than a new job.

I can now have a conversation like this with you. Reason is I believe you are no longer restricted in anyway.

Being on this side of the fence has opened many doors. I agree with complimentary competition weaknesses and strengths. One must exploit those weakness of the adversary with counter strengths they can apply towards a business plan for market share.

Also as a independent shop. You can not depend on your competitor to dispatch you work. You have to make that happen. Market yourself as you must to secure your own market share. You can change the rules of the game. But the game will remain the same.

As being in management positions in the corporate world. I had to make tough decisions. Some that haunted me. Some that was not morally correct in my opinion. But I accepted what I had to do. It was a choice I made at the time.Now comes the easy part for you. You will get the opportunity to follow your philosophy when seeking your new job.

Think what you want...DL will be just fine.
glad to hear you'll be ok, hope you'll be even better, working on putting the wheels back on a company whose wheels are falling off. You get the down wind drift.

DL, sorry to say you fought for the foreign invader. They ignore our moral, fairness & trade laws (in my opinion) in this industry. You helped them & now you are on the outside. I wish you luck personally in the future but trying to rationalize what you've help happen in our industry doesn't fly. Being ok & getting yours doesn't make what you've helped do to others acceptable.

Yeah New Yorker
But SL puts in more glass in one day and has more satisfied customers in one day than you will in a lifetime .
It's all relative to volume

U hate em because they are doing well.

Is
Yeah New Yorker
But SL puts in more glass in one day and has more satisfied customers in one day than you will in a lifetime .

Another humorist in the group. I don't hate them, I'm outraged that our government allows their business model to take over an industry. FYI statistically your statement holds no water.

Is
Yeah New Yorker

But at least we can enjoy our fruit in our lifetime with out volume. You can never obtain the fruit working for someone in your lifetime with volume. Your just making them the fruit and they are throwing you the spoils of it.

More satisfied customers. That's too funny. Just read consumer reports from real customers and you'll see what we've always known. No one does worse installs than SL. Except maybe the one man pickup installers that used to work at SL.

SPOT ON!

DL-Nice to read your posts again. As always - living your motto.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com