AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: trying to decide

There is no 1 tool for all cut outs. The true professional will use the tool that they are most comfortable with for the job at hand. Yesterday had to cut out a broken back glass 99 dodge p/up. Grabbed the old Fein knife and 2 minutes later out and mostly stripped of thane down to 1-2 mil. Some quarter glass are still best cut out with the original equalizer, hands down the best tool for the job. You can't get an express in to tight spaces to cut out some quarters.

Same goes for wire tools, some are great, some I can have that w/s out quicker than you can set up the wire tool.

It comes down to the right tool at the right time for the right job. There is no such thing as 1 tool fits all, just like network pricing, one price does not fit all jobs. Wake up people....... Just sayin!

If you can't afford the tools maybe you need to learn how to bill for what you do so you can afford the tools for all jobs. Just a thought.

its nice we have all the babble. i want to see a head to head comparison of the wire/line tools so a person can make an educated guess. fein has a now too, and there are several in europe, until someone does a head to head comparison how can we make an educated guess.

Thanks for the reply. I have been in business for 21 years, installing for about 25 years. I have seen the inductor, however I have seen some articles about how it weakens the metal so I never gave it a second thought. That was quit awhile ago and maybe they were not so accurate. I have all the goodies except for a wire tool. So you like the glassbot? Im leaning towards that myself. Nick...

Tools should not be rated on how quickly it can remove or install glass. I rate them as how effectively they do the job without damage to the user and the vehicle and longevity of that tool.

Yes the GlassBot is a great tool. But as said before it has its place and time like other tools do. Sometimes the ole cold knife is very effective.

The Inductor,Just like any other tool has to be mastered to be effective. In the wrong hands it can be disastrous. One of the side effects is compromised metal bonding area if not used correctly.

There is not one single tool that will effectively remove glass in every situation. Its like a Safe. There are many combinations that must be used.

babble
its nice we have all the babble. i want to see a head to head comparison of the wire/line tools so a person can make an educated guess. fein has a now too, and there are several in europe, until someone does a head to head comparison how can we make an educated guess.

Well IMHO you will NEVER get that from this place (AGRR) they don't want to step on a potential advertisers or current advertisers toes. I have a Glass Bot I love my Glass Bot. Now with that being said its my least used tool, I have a Fein also and a Express, don't use them much either. Maybe I am old school or maybe I just do not do enough to be relevant, most likely the later of the 2 ... Anyway I used a glass bot lite the other day. In all fairness I would consider the Glass Bot people my friends, so my opinion might be biased.

I would LOVE to have an inductor, there are some glass's that they make virtually impossible to pull without damage...

xs
There is not one single tool that will effectively remove glass in every situation. Its like a Safe. There are many combinations that must be used.

I wish my company could understand this

Right you are. Our old tools as Fein and BTB might still be useful in
some matters but today we use to prefer square wire with two handles for
many jobs because it cuts fast "just like a hot knife in butter" and doesn't
damage the pinch weld. Our latest tool is a "KONG" what is okay for many
jobs though the "Gorilla wire" isn't yet really good enought for what it
ought to be.

Worth reviving this thread? I would love to see more input if at all possible- I really should have a wire system, but I'm becoming a surgeon with my old tools- lol

I would love fast, easy, high quality and cheep price too- ha!

glassbot the only lifetime warranty?

atech
Worth reviving this thread? I would love to see more input if at all possible- I really should have a wire system, but I'm becoming a surgeon with my old tools- lol

I would love fast, easy, high quality and cheep price too- ha!

I personally own a Glass Bot. I do not use it on quarters, BUT that's because I never tried, but you would have to use the glass bot lite. Which i have also. I would pick a BTB on quarters, and as far as the viper is concerned on quarters there are many that it will not fit in..

I've had pretty good luck with a worn out equalizer blade. Grind a new edge and wrap the bottom end with duct tape to make a handle of sorts. It isn't perfect and it isn't fast. But it does get into places you just can't get a power tool into.

I keep trying to get the boss to buy an inductor. But, he is terrified of potential liability. So, I won't see it if I don't buy it. And I am not buying it as an hourly employee.

Mr.Phil
I've had pretty good luck with a worn out equalizer blade. Grind a new edge and wrap the bottom end with duct tape to make a handle of sorts. It isn't perfect and it isn't fast. But it does get into places you just can't get a power tool into.

I keep trying to get the boss to buy an inductor. But, he is terrified of potential liability. So, I won't see it if I don't buy it. And I am not buying it as an hourly employee.[/quote

not sure if you know this Equalizer makes a handle for there blades. So does BTB

inductors (and the tech using it) can burn the paint and also light things on fire. I have one. Burnt the paint before (white). Your boss is correct- plenty of potential for disaster. I haven't used mine in about 4 years now.

The Inductor is one of the most misunderstood and misused tool for the auto glass industry for removals. tThe tool has rules.
#1 any proximate of flammable interiors must be removed
#2 you must move the conductor unit steadily. Not leave in 1 place
#3 practice makes perfect.
#4 confidence in using to tool

All of use trained on this tool at recycling yard. We removed glass for free to get practice with tool. After a few sessions we was no longer damaging the metal or paint HTH

Larry
not sure if you know this Equalizer makes a handle for there blades. So does BTB

I have the BTB pinchweld winged blades with a handle. I know about the equalizer handle for express knife blades. I wasn't aware they made a handle for the old equalizer blades. The one I'm talking about looked like a beefed up jigsaw. You had to change sheaths to vary/control the cutting depth. I'll look into it. The tape works, but it does look a lil bit redneck even in my part of Texas.

atech
inductors (and the tech using it) can burn the paint and also light things on fire. I have one. Burnt the paint before (white). Your boss is correct- plenty of potential for disaster. I haven't used mine in about 4 years now.

I get his fear. After all it is HIS business on the line. But, if you are interested in selling your inductor let me know. I'm not rich but if we can work out something...

xs
... All of use trained on this tool at recycling yard. We removed glass for free to get practice with tool. After a few sessions we was no longer damaging the metal or paint HTH

I floated that exact same idea. Told him to buy the tool. I would take it to the salvage yard on a saturday off the clock and would work it till the bugs flew away. He still balked. But I like the way you're thinking....

Mr.Phil
Larry

I have the BTB pinchweld winged blades with a handle. I know about the equalizer handle for express knife blades. I wasn't aware they made a handle for the old equalizer blades. The one I'm talking about looked like a beefed up jigsaw. You had to change sheaths to vary/control the cutting depth. I'll look into it. The tape works, but it does look a lil bit redneck even in my part of Texas.

atech
inductors (and the tech using it) can burn the paint and also light things on fire. I have one. Burnt the paint before (white). Your boss is correct- plenty of potential for disaster. I haven\'t used mine in about 4 years now.

I get his fear. After all it is HIS business on the line. But, if you are interested in selling your inductor let me know. I'm not rich but if we can work out something...

xs
... All of use trained on this tool at recycling yard. We removed glass for free to get practice with tool. After a few sessions we was no longer damaging the metal or paint HTH

I floated that exact same idea. Told him to buy the tool. I would take it to the salvage yard on a saturday off the clock and would work it till the bugs flew away. He still balked. But I like the way you're thinking....

Interesting I never would think of using an old school EQ blade by itself.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com