AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fixed Auto Glass Installation

Mr.Phil
Mike Untsmels
You should clean that debris out with water BEFORE trimming the urethane.

Mike Untsmels
And....you DID contaminate the bonding surface...regardless of what you claim in the comments on your lame video.

I guess I just can't leave well enough alone. But after reading all the crazy stuff about contamination I decide to call the horse and ask him straight up. I got an answer. Dale Barham of Dow automotive at 601-209-0331 says that GC800 is approved to clean the pinch weld again after trimming the bed if additional contamination is found.

He did clarify that once-upn-a-time only water was to be used. But, when they approved GC800 for use as a cutout lubricant, it was tested to see about any adhesion issues.

The only caveat that he added was the recommendation to spray the paper towel, vice the trimmed bed, then wipe away the contamination. This minimizes the possible chances of any other contamination getting on it. And if you're in the winter you don't have to worry about the chemicals in the GC 800 freezing. So there it is. The car is apparently safe to crash and that's our goal.

Thanks Phil for being a true professional and reporting the facts as you know them. I am a very proud professional myself with almost 30 years working experience, but I also realize that I'm only human and are capable of making a mistake or misinterpreting facts just like anyone else. Rick Nelson was calling me out for demonstrating improper techniques in my video. My first thought was does he know something I don't know? I double checked my facts and reported them back, but instead of accepting that he may be misinformed he continued to try to discredit me. Why? I don't know. If he was truly more concerned about improper procedures, he could have saved face and wrote me a private email or called me on the phone. We could have discussed it privately rather than posting it on my public video. This G6 vehicle lost most of the bead in the areas that I scrubbed due to paint failure, hence the title of the video. Had that not occurred, I would not have cleaned anything after cutting back the bead because I want that fresh cut surface to bond to. This is something my Dow rep taught me 20 years ago.

We're not there to detail the car around the bonding surface. That's why I like to apply the bead directly to the body as opposed to the glass, and my setting system makes it easy for me to get the windshield properly aligned with the opening. I know that I have achieved the desired results. My long knife is not barbaric, but more like a surgeon's scalpel. I have much greater control with my cutting depth and avoid damage to the substrate as opposed to a scraper. It's all how you learn. People will see what they want to see. I'll bet if my critics stare at the video long enough, they will see a unicorn in the background.

Keep doing what you do Dan, these guys have no clue who you are and your knowledge. I personally have used Rolladeck and i think it is a great tool. There is always people with negative thoughts, and of course perfect forum here, you hide behind a keyboard and a screen name. Some of the guys here may have shook your hand at conventions. lol just funny to me .

Ok you all are the best installers My windshield is installed with a tape kit
been there 20 yrs no rust and not killed one of us yet or leaked Been doing this for 38 yrs Same old story

In the wide world of glass; All of us have used many typs of thing to set aW/S. I have used the glass bot ,little buddy, all the others to. I have made tooles as well. We can say nasty things about every body's installs, but if you can get your hands on a rolladeck and use it you will see it does do as it is ment to do. For the people no here that bash others shame on you your the bad one here not the man in the vidio of the G6 install with the Rolladeck. The man uses a method with Dow products and he is doing it right as Dow instr. Water is good to but it's not the only one so stop being an a-..... and use your head , your methed is not the only one that is right . I have been in the glass ind. for over 35years an have don things different 365 day a year for 35 years and it all can't be right can it so be a man and stop bashing it shows how stuped you must be , you can't be that dumb to think you are the only one that is right? Teach your self befor you talk you do not know it all!!! And no one can . Every product has it way so have an open mind for one tyme in your life and try something new. I have used it and it works very well, and I will never use a little buddy after one let go on a SEL 600 one day with me , and no it was clean and brad new not old unit. $3500.50 in damages. Al you bellron girls need to get a life and read some books on other things to use . Maybe one day you can be a real Glass Man to.

I don't see any problems with how this guy prepped his job. He clearly says that if the factory bead had not peeled away with the paint he would not have cleaned because it would not been necessary. I totally agree with his approach. I do my installs the same way. I never saw a brush come out after he trimmed back the urethane. You can clearly hear the paint peeling off the pinchweld while he's trimming back the bead. What was he supposed to do prime over dirt? I would do it the same way to expand the contact surface and seal what remains of the factory paint system to areas beyond the area of paint failure.

This guy is right about his claims that Dow's GC800 is approved by them for use in this manner. Don't take his word for it, check the guide.

Good job Glassman! Takes a lot of stones to put yourself out there like that. Your Rolladeck tool looks very ingenious. I'll keep you in mind.

OLD BB GUY
Ok you all are the best installers My windshield is installed with a tape kit
been there 20 yrs no rust and not killed one of us yet or leaked Been doing this for 38 yrs Same old story

20 year old cars are constructed different then cars of today. You may think smoking is ok, seat belts are useless, women shouldn't have the vote or and of course you can drive home after after 8 scotches after work. Wake up and please keep you silly opinions to yourself. Ps speaking from 50 years of exp.

If auto glass is so precise and so much depends on the technician, then why are they paid so little?

Rob
If auto glass is so precise and so much depends on the technician, then why are they paid so little?

I can answer that one for you,

YOU CHOOSE TO WORK FOR THAT LITTLE BIT OF MONEY. that's why.

Plus the way the industry is going there wont be much money in it to pay a decent wage..

I,MYSELF consider MYSELF to be a pretty good tech. I wear gloves, scrub frit, prime scratches, and shoot V beads(where my 13 years of experience tells me it's the appropriate place for). I also am not likely to remove a cowl if the entire lower bead is exposed. I also work deep into sub freezing conditions, because I don't have much of a choice. I do things that logic and experience dictate can be done right, and if I'm wrong I learn from my mistakes. But the truth is, that I loathe the people on this forum for forum for a multitude of reasons.
You almost all cry about safelite constantly. You all judge all other businesses and installers with no real knowledge of them.
Engineering dictates that V beads must be shot on anything, but when you guys swear by lil buddies, do you disregard the engineer that designed that window regulator. regulators are not load bearing, but you treat them like they are and call someone a hack for not removing the cowl panel on a fw3260.
truth is that I come on here time to time to use search function, but I trip over the garbage here that everyone throws around. no wonder Ive never made friends in this business.

That is a good point. It is for that point that the new thing to use is a Rolladeck , it doesn't put any thing on the windows to damage the car. It goes on the whipper post and it takes minutes to put on and off . Win I see people on here bashing others for trying new ways to install W/S 's it's almost always someone that has not been a vet. In the world of glass and has not tried anything but what they are given to use. That is how you can tell how much exp. someone has . The industry is going down hill day by day and I see Rome falling in the future,but in the mean time. Be good to your body and use something to help your self ,and be as safe as you can! 35+years has taken its toll on my body and I wish this Rolladeck system would have been sooner coming for me!

Y'all are some wild and crazy guys. I gotta say that I am more inclined to believe someone posting a reasonable spin off off his real name who is easy to find as opposed to the girl who just admitted her private parts need some hygiene.

I have a lil buddy and to be honest it only gets used when there is no other option because of the setup issues. My boss is afraid of that whole collapsing regulator thing as well. But it's what I can afford for now.

I'm really saddened that this industry has so few professional resources. As a 22 year Marine I had access to libraries of info and data and training and standard based measurements. As a Dish Tech for two years I had multiple knowledge bases and a genuinely helpful forum called satellite guys.

We got this. A few nuggets surrounded by crapola. I can see why the autoglass u is underway and targeting body shops. And folks here just make up anatomically wired screen names. Truly awesome demonstration of "Embrace the Suck".

I hope Agrrmag is listening.

At a minimum we ought to have tool and technique reviews that tell it like it is. One of the many things learned in the Corps was how to field test a piece of gear and write an honest review. But, I've yet to see that in the AGR industry. Send it to me. I'll hook you up with the real deal. It's called being professional. I'd really like to see this place become the go-to resource for AGTechs. But what do I know? I am an hourly installer with only eight years in.

Hey Rollerdeck and Glassbot Guys, thanks for trying. Personally I hope ya make a million or two.

When did the laws change allowing women to vote???

I rolled back and I do not see where Rick Nelson called you out? If he did he did, he is a little like me, I think he just says what he thinks :) And that's why I would let him buy me a stiff drink anytime I see him :) And I have & use his tool, now not all the time but when appropriate and I love it. Other than seeing you use the tool in one of your videos I have not seen it in person, I would like to and years ago had a similar sort of Idea. Well not anything you rolled... Matter of fact I will not say I am sure someone will call it a dumb idea :)

I think you should also realize that many things have changed with lil buddy, what they currently offer, and the the difference from what Belron sells as the lil buddy pro2. I understand that there are situations which people think they can't use the tool, but those are few and far between.

Pssst, Dan.

"The only caveat that he added was the recommendation to spray the paper towel, vice the trimmed bed, then wipe away the contamination. This minimizes the possible chances of any other contamination getting on it."

According to Dale Barham of Dow automotive at 601-209-0331, you did it wrong.

Dead horse. Let it go.

Rick Nelson
Pssst, Dan.

"The only caveat that he added was the recommendation to spray the paper towel, vice the trimmed bed, then wipe away the contamination. This minimizes the possible chances of any other contamination getting on it."

According to Dale Barham of Dow automotive at 601-209-0331, you did it wrong.

Dead horse. Let it go.[/quote

Hey Rick,

If you look at the dates on this thread, it's old news. I let it go a long time ago. I still however stand behind my methods in that video when I cleaned the bare pinch weld where paint delaminated leaving little to no urethane remaining on the surface in question. The areas where urethane may have remained were thin. My bead was applied to the primed pinch weld surface, not existing urethane except for along the bottom where the factory bead had not released and post strip cleaning was avoided. I assumed you had let it go as well. I don't know Dale Barham, but I do know Dale Malcolm. When you called me on my procedure, it concerned me that maybe I should consult with someone I know and trust to shoot it to me straight. I called Dale Malcolm and asked him to view the video in question. He came back to me and said that I was within an "acceptable procedure" being there was "little to no urethane present from factory paint release where you cleaned the pinch weld."

You are not wrong in insisting that saturating fresh cut urethane is in fact contaminating it. I believe you may have taken my methods out of context. I now try to avoid discussing procedures in videos related to anything other than the practical applications of my product, not that I'm wrong but it's not my responsibility to demonstrate these procedures. It is the responsibility of the respective adhesive manufacturers and their representatives.

Peace Brother
Dan

Glassmandan:
I've asked you before & not been answered, do you do mobile w/s installs outside in parking lots or people's driveways?

Sglass
Glassmandan:
I've asked you before & not been answered, do you do mobile w/s installs outside in parking lots or people's driveways?

I apologize Sglass, I must have missed that question. Yes, I run mobile every day. Insurance customers at their home or place of business. I also service too many dealer and body shop accounts to count, as well as heavy equipment and RV accounts including flat lami and custom tempered to order. Florida has favorable weather all year, just have to dodge the rain drops and find shade when possible. Oh and drink lots of Gatorade.

glassmandan
Sglass
Glassmandan:

I apologize Sglass, I must have missed that question. Yes, I run mobile every day. Insurance customers at their home or place of business. I also service too many dealer and body shop accounts to count, as well as heavy equipment and RV accounts including flat lami and custom tempered to order. Florida has favorable weather all year, just have to dodge the rain drops and find shade when possible. Oh and drink lots of Gatorade.

As a person who claims to follow safe w/s guidelines to the strictest letter & someone who professes to care so much, I find you to be hypercritical when it comes to putting $$$ in your pocket. Every mobile install you perform legitimizes this practice in the industry. You aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I can say this because I DO NOT do mobile. I was part of the AGRSS comitte that formed the guidelines so please spare me the excuses. Just get off the pulpit & admit you are like other people in the industry.
JMHO

Sglass
glassmandan
Sglass
Glassmandan:

As a person who claims to follow safe w/s guidelines to the strictest letter & someone who professes to care so much, I find you to be hypercritical when it comes to putting $$$ in your pocket. Every mobile install you perform legitimizes this practice in the industry. You aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I can say this because I DO NOT do mobile. I was part of the AGRSS comitte that formed the guidelines so please spare me the excuses. Just get off the pulpit & admit you are like other people in the industry.
JMHO

Ok Sglass, you got me. I actually get up and go to work every day to make $$$ I have to wonder though, you seem awefully sore over the competition providing mobile service to their customers. Does this make it difficult for you to compete in today's market? I don't see the problem you speak of. I've been providing mobile service to my customers for almost 30 years. I've studied the AGRSS standard in great detail. I don't recall a clause anywhere that states it is impossible to deliver a factory equivalent quality installation in a parking lot or a driveway. Do you have commercial accounts like dealers, body shops, municipalities? Do they bring everything to you? What about the single mother of 3 whose basketball hoop fell and crashed through her windshield rendering the vehicle inoperable? Do you force her to call a tow company to bring her vehicle to you, then call a cab to come and retrieve it when you are finished? I'll bet the insurance company gladly pays that tow bill, NOT
Your market may allow you to function in an all in shop operation. What about rural markets where there's not a glass shop on every corner like 7/11?
Do you think that people are going to drive over a hour when there is a service provider willing to come to their door?
If you are interested in learning how to operate a mobile service unit, give me a call. I will be happy to train you for a nominal fee. As you pointed out, I am not a not for profit organization.

Not offering mobile service these dayz is like running a 3 legged horse in the Kentucky Derby............

Having a standard is a good thing but it is hard to tell what the real intention of those on the original safety council were all about. Not sure that consumers were the ones who the safety net was originally erected for.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com