AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brinks Truck WS

ws made by Saint Goban and truck made by Griffin. Anybody have luck orther than going back to Grifin ?

Re: Brinks Truck WS

Aren't they flat lami? i didn't think they are curved. If it needs to be shaded get a sheet of shade.

they are flat but 1 1/8 thick

Most are flat lami 1 1/2 inch thick. With glass and lexan laminated together. If you have glass Co that laminates you may be able to do this. We have these services in LA.

OG's little nephew"YG"
Lee
Most are flat lami 1 1/2 inch thick. With glass and lexan laminated together. If you have glass Co that laminates you may be able to do this. We have these services in LA.

You call yourselves auto glass professional's ?. Stack 1/4 inch laminated glass on top of another and urethane the outside edge were you cant see it and slap the slab top first and let it settle down to the rubber stop.[/quote

What's this comedy hour? These vehicles use AS 10. Bullet resistant the same glass they use in bank windows. Quarter inch annealed, quarter inch Poly carbonate three layers glass two layers poly carbonate.

what?
OG's little nephew"YG"
Lee

You call yourselves auto glass professional's ?. Stack 1/4 inch laminated glass on top of another and urethane the outside edge were you cant see it and slap the slab top first and let it settle down to the rubber stop.

Really? og's little dumb nephew. DO you really know the difference of Bullet proof and Bullet resistant?

Sorry about the first post I breezed by it and didn't catch the BRINKS.

Ok so the og nephew way, lets stack 2 layers of 1/4 lami, 1 inch less thickness hmmmm.
ok nephew oh so smart one, lets put you behind the wheel, and i will take my 9 mil and fire a few rounds at you. are you really going to sit there? LET'S TRY IT smart azzzzzz. What a total stick.

Your math must suck. Stack up until its 1.5 inches thick. A 9mm ? that's a little girls gun. That would bounce right off. As soon as the bullet comes out the pipe its a slug. Try a .45 or better.

Actually I think the only way to go on this is with the OEM windshield. When it comes to this level of protection I would just contact Griffin. Also make sure you are prepared, this windshield depending on if its a half or full size can weigh up to 300lbs. As far as the penetrating characteristic of a 9mm go compaired to a .45.......The 9mm will penetrate 40% deeper than a .45 auto. The average 9mm round is 124 grain and travels at 1150 feet per second. The average .45 auto round weighs 240 grains and travels at an average speed of 850 feet per second. I have tested both bullet resistant Lexan and laminated glass. The 9 mm is a lot smaller and travels faster so it will always penetrate deeper.

Little nephew got schooled for sure! Thanks Jammie good to hear from someone who actually knows the truth and backs up logic. That would be the correct answer. I don't think Og's little smurf will sit behind his layered method TOO FUNNY. And no one actually died or was injured in that demonstration.

Did one of these a few years ago. Had to squeeze fit from inside out on rubber. Weighed in well over 300 lbs. built a frame inside cab to provide support and step up into opening with four people. Fun. Not. Good luck.

Jamie Browning
Actually I think the only way to go on this is with the OEM windshield. When it comes to this level of protection I would just contact Griffin. Also make sure you are prepared, this windshield depending on if its a half or full size can weigh up to 300lbs. As far as the penetrating characteristic of a 9mm go compaired to a .45.......The 9mm will penetrate 40% deeper than a .45 auto. The average 9mm round is 124 grain and travels at 1150 feet per second. The average .45 auto round weighs 240 grains and travels at an average speed of 850 feet per second. I have tested both bullet resistant Lexan and laminated glass. The 9 mm is a lot smaller and travels faster so it will always penetrate deeper.

Really ?
Average muzzle energies for common pistol cartridges[citation needed]
Cartridge Muzzle energy
ft-lbf joules
.380 ACP 199 270
.38 Special 310 420
9 mm Luger 350 470
.45 Colt 370 500
.45 GAP 400 540
.45 ACP 400 540
.40 S&W 425 576
.357 Sig 475 644
.357 Mag 550 750
10mm Auto 650 880
.44 Mag 1,000 1,400
.50 AE 1,500 2,000
.454 Casull 1,900 2,600
.460 SW 2,400 3,300
.500 SW 2,600 3,500

Class is now dismissed.

OG's little nephew"YG"
Jamie Browning

Really ?
Cartridge Muzzle energy
ft-lbf joules
.380 ACP 199 270
.38 Special 310 420
9 mm Luger 350 470
.45 Colt 370 500
.45 GAP 400 540
.45 ACP 400 540
.40 S&W 425 576
.357 Sig 475 644
.357 Mag 550 750
10mm Auto 650 880
.44 Mag 1,000 1,400
.50 AE 1,500 2,000
.454 Casull 1,900 2,600
.460 SW 2,400 3,300
.500 SW 2,600 3,500

Class is now dismissed.

Actually, I think you overslept and missed the bus! HAHAHA Those are muzzle energy stats. Thats how much force the projectile emits just after leaving the barrel not FPS or weight. The reason the numbers go up in conjunction with bullet caliber is because you will have more potential for higher muzzle energy numbers with larger calibers but the larger the bullet the chance of it going through glass is reduced. Unfortunately the .45ACP is not going to be one of those because its small case limits the amount of powder it can hold. A 9mm will always penetrate deeper than a .45ACP. Call a gun or ammunition manufacturer or do some research. This is based on fact and physics so its pretty easy to draw a factual conclusion. This is all in good fun, I like debating and I am just as knowledgeable with ballistics and firearms as I am with glass.

Jamie Browning
OG's little nephew"YG"
Jamie Browning

Really ?
Cartridge Muzzle energy
ft-lbf joules
.380 ACP 199 270
.38 Special 310 420
9 mm Luger 350 470
.45 Colt 370 500
.45 GAP 400 540
.45 ACP 400 540
.40 S&W 425 576
.357 Sig 475 644
.357 Mag 550 750
10mm Auto 650 880
.44 Mag 1,000 1,400
.50 AE 1,500 2,000
.454 Casull 1,900 2,600
.460 SW 2,400 3,300
.500 SW 2,600 3,500

Class is now dismissed.

Actually, I think you overslept and missed the bus! HAHAHA Those are muzzle energy stats. Thats how much force the projectile emits just after leaving the barrel not FPS or weight. The reason the numbers go up in conjunction with bullet caliber is because you will have more potential for higher muzzle energy numbers with larger calibers but the larger the bullet the chance of it going through glass is reduced. Unfortunately the .45ACP is not going to be one of those because its small case limits the amount of powder it can hold. A 9mm will always penetrate deeper than a .45ACP. Call a gun or ammunition manufacturer or do some research. This is based on fact and physics so its pretty easy to draw a factual conclusion. This is all in good fun, I like debating and I am just as knowledgeable with ballistics and firearms as I am with glass.

Then why do law enforcement officer's purchase a .45 to use on duty then the police department issue 9mm ? This is legal to do in many states.

I give up, this has nothing to do with personal preference of firearm choice. This post is all yours, carry on. When most people lose a debate they rapidly change the subject.

The point little nephew was I did not agree with your method of repair by urethaneing layers of lami. Many bullets will penetrate. I saw your method as unsafe and I would never do it. Build one sit behind it, (or best not) and see what bullets penetrate. you will get a surprise.

The 9m will penetrate more than the .45. the 45 will have more PUNCH, but it depends on what the target is, a bear or a brinks truck, 2 completely different animals. enough said

Thanks Mr. Phil we r and r one a few months ago so yes they are a bear and heavy. Got a quote and not as bad as i thought i have paid more for a lexus ws

Jamie Browning
I give up, this has nothing to do with personal preference of firearm choice. This post is all yours, carry on. When most people lose a debate they rapidly change the subject.

K

After reading all this all I can say is, WOW... I would go back to the place that made the truck or who specializes in Bullet proof glass.

There was a news story about a Brinks driver had a heart attack in the cab. The guy in the back is separated from him so he couldn't get to him. It took the fire and police dept something like 45 minutes, just to break thru through the glass to get to the driver. So I would go with who ever made the glass for the trucks or who specializes in bullet proof glass.

The stats are all good that they are giving but you need a piece of glass to fit the opening.You may have to go back to Griffin to do it right, You don’t want to screw this up, a life could be at stake.
I had to supply a piece of glass for an industrial application on a vehicle a few years back I called C.R. Laurence and spoke with them very helpful it was expensive and they made it to my requirements and it was ULC approved.
You could also remove the glass and take measurement size and thickness and find some company to make the glass, that will take a few weeks.

Mr. Yankee I have experience from fire and rescue depts. We will not go thru the glass to gain entree but can get in to one of these in less than 1 minute, maybe less than 30 seconds. I am not dissing you but No rescue unit will take the hard way in, but in fact will gain entry in the easiest way possible. With a jaws of life I can be in thru the door in seconds. Fact jack.

Just sayin'
Mr. Yankee I have experience from fire and rescue depts. We will not go thru the glass to gain entree but can get in to one of these in less than 1 minute, maybe less than 30 seconds. I am not dissing you but No rescue unit will take the hard way in, but in fact will gain entry in the easiest way possible. With a jaws of life I can be in thru the door in seconds. Fact jack.

Just saying here you go

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/brink-s-driver-died-of-heart-attack-coroner/article_1428792e-8aa7-11e3-b639-001a4bcf6878.html

read that. I was wrong it says it took them 10 minutes to get in thru the glass

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com