AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creation conversion window, ideas???????

I've got a 04 econoline with all the glass broke out of the conversion windows on the left side of vehicle. They are the sleek style 1/4" metal frame style with the exposed edge glass in the frame. Parkin says all they have is Hoerr replacements that are the old "T" style frame with sliding vent windows, and wide frames.

Has anyone had to deal with this? And if so what are my options? Do I just explain to customer that he'll have to go retro with the old windows, or are there any options other than Parkin to get the glass and reglaze it. I'm assuming that Duncan has nothing as Parkin is the company that bought out all of Creations inventory with they went out of business.

Thanks for any ideas, or actual experiences you can share.

Have a great day.

Re: Creation conversion window, ideas???????

Try these people. They mite have what your looking for http://www.coachglass.com/

Creation has been bought out by DCM. They are a great company and will help you find it. Google "DCM van windows" and you will see them. Also here is a quote from their site..........Creation Window Company has ceased production and their windows are no longer being produced for vans, shuttle busses and recreational vehicles. DCM has in stock over 2000 Creation windows of various sizes.

Check here for your replacement needs before you seek a substitute.

xs
Try these people. They mite have what your looking for http://www.coachglass.com/
Coach is a good option also.

Jamie Browning
Creation has been bought out by DCM. They are a great company and will help you find it. Google "DCM van windows" and you will see them. Also here is a quote from their site..........Creation Window Company has ceased production and their windows are no longer being produced for vans, shuttle busses and recreational vehicles. DCM has in stock over 2000 Creation windows of various sizes.

Check here for your replacement needs before you seek a substitute.

Great info....

CRL

Make patterns for glass. Get 1/8 inch G2 glass. Cut to size, polish edges. Get glass tempered. Clean out broken glass, remove units from van. Prime glass and frame, lay bead of urethane in frame. Beg borrow or steal as many clamps(wood,c-clamp, bar clamp etc). Lay glass in bottom of frame clamp and work your way up clamping as you go(no metal on glass). Let urethane set up reinstall unit. 1/8 inch will bend quite a bit before braking. Most if not all of the shuttle buses have flat glass in them the frame holds them in place so they look curved. HTH

Make patterns and have the glass cut and tempered. Gray should be available. We leave the frame mounted to the van. Some will fit channels, some will need to be glued in, but 1/8" is easy to bend (that's what Creation does) and the lock strip wedges in place to hold the glass.

I agree that that will get job completed, but doesn't all glass in a street registered motor vehicle have to have a DOT code on it?? Or did I miss something here. Privacy tempered glass is AS-3 and I am pretty sure that designation has to be on it also, just like AS-1 has to be on a windshield and AS-2 has to be on a regular tinted side lite. Do you send an extra piece or 2 to have them do test breaks, to make sure that the broken pieces are meeting DOT specs?? If you do, do they even know what the specs are, regarding the maximum size of the broken pieces, if they have not been assigned a DOT Code? Potentially a really big liability issue here.
Ooops...

thanks for all the info, looks like we are goin with DCM van conversion windows, they have windows that look like creation but no vent. so no big deal. thanks again

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com