AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Windshield Urethane Compatibility

If you care to put your e-mail address on here I will respond there.

dsrtracing@beyondbb.com

Thanks OC

69 Camaro 1/4 in buytle tape and back fill with glue is the old way of doing things.
1 I wouldn't use 3M products that glue is way to thin no viscosity to it.
2 never put glue rite over paint primer, Most paint primer is PORUS and most glue is moisture cured.
3 Paint the pinch weld or at least cut in the jambs and pinchweld with the paint
Then use you urethane primer on the paint, most urethane primer have a etching chemical in it to adhere to the bonding surface.
4 you mentioned on you glass didn't have the frit band. that is because they used buytle tape back then and rubber gaskets.
so to use urethane wet scrub the outer area of windshield at least 3/4 in of edge all the way around then if you glue has a activator use that then a black primer over your 3/4 wet scrubbed edges

I think you would be better off just going to the 3M website for product information.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtmxf6nxMEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_08695_08564.pdf

Jamie Browning
I think you would be better off just going to the 3M website for product information.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtmxf6nxMEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_08695_08564.pdf

Jamie Browning, I have to ask. Do you even INSTALL GLASS? or do you just read about it? maybe you should read that 3M site you just posted on me.
It clearly states that 3M is a MEDIUM VISCOSITY D a m n using adhesive...
Also the last time I was in a automotive parts store, they only carry primerless 3M glue. That is so thin I wouldn't even use it to back fill on a car. I would rather use the old 2 part chemical Beta glues with the special gun and long a s s tip for mixing.

Now us older guys that have been doing this for a long time, We have used most every product out there, Not by choice but because that is what the company wanted us to use at the time. Once we find the glue we liked we wouldn't let them switch to something else.

D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

Jamie Browning, I have to ask. Do you even INSTALL GLASS? or do you just read about it? maybe you should read that 3M site you just posted on me.
Also the last time I was in a automotive parts store, they only carry primerless 3M glue. That is so thin I wouldn't even use it to back fill on a car. I would rather use the old 2 part chemical Beta glues with the special gun and long a s s tip for mixing.

Now us older guys that have been doing this for a long time, We have used most every product out there, Not by choice but because that is what the company wanted us to use at the time. Once we find the glue we liked we wouldn't let them switch to something else.

Had to chime in here. Jamie posted on this thread precisely what needed to be posted. The author had questions about a specific product that should only be answered by the people who produce that product. Good job Jamie, that is what this forum should be all about. As for Jamie's credentials as a professional, I can tell you that he is a seasoned veteran of this industry that makes it his responsibility to obtain and report the facts. Think of him as an old soldier that retired from the front lines, that is now a war correspondent journalist. Not a pencil pusher that never got his hands dirty. In this ever changing industry we need information sources like Jamie.

glassmandan
D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

Had to chime in here. Jamie posted on this thread precisely what needed to be posted. The author had questions about a specific product that should only be answered by the people who produce that product. Good job Jamie, that is what this forum should be all about. As for Jamie's credentials as a professional, I can tell you that he is a seasoned veteran of this industry that makes it his responsibility to obtain and report the facts. Think of him as an old soldier that retired from the front lines, that is now a war correspondent journalist. Not a pencil pusher that never got his hands dirty. In this ever changing industry we need information sources like Jamie.

Go Home Yankee !!!! You just been called out as the Butcher of Auto Glass that you are !!!!! Hop in your pick-up truck and drive far away.......lol

xs
glassmandan
D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

Go Home Yankee !!!! You just been called out as the Butcher of Auto Glass that you are !!!!! Hop in your pick-up truck and drive far away.......lol

well I guess I am not aloud to post on here for awhile my post keep getting pulled

D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

DY, you just proved you are the most uneducated person on this forum, and that's saying a lot. If you think Jamie's advice was bogus you sir, are an @#%&! If you think you know more about 3Ms products they they do then you should call them up and ask to be the new president. Jamie teaches safety and did not endorse the product, he just said the best info is to go to the source. Also if you knew anything about Jamie (you obviouslydon't) you would know where he works and that might explain why your post get deleted lol

smarter than most
D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

DY, you just proved you are the most uneducated person on this forum, and that's saying a lot. If you think Jamie's advice was bogus you sir, are an @#%&! If you think you know more about 3Ms products they they do then you should call them up and ask to be the new president. Jamie teaches safety and did not endorse the product, he just said the best info is to go to the source. Also if you knew anything about Jamie (you obviouslydon't) you would know where he works and that might explain why your post get deleted lol

I could really care less who, what, where, he is. second when you come on here looking for info to print in your magazine that my friend is lousy. and yes your rite I don't know who he is but apparently you do, Brown noser, This forum is a joke most of this forum is for AMUSEMENT. There is only a few guys on here that has the KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXSPIREANCE, from doing this work over DECADES of SERVICE. So stick that in your PIPE KNIFE AND SMOKE IT.

D A M N YANKEE OUT!!!!!

D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most
D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

I could really care less who, what, where, he is. second when you come on here looking for info to print in your magazine that my friend is lousy. and yes your rite I don't know who he is but apparently you do, Brown noser, This forum is a joke most of this forum is for AMUSEMENT. There is only a few guys on here that has the KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXSPIREANCE, from doing this work over DECADES of SERVICE. So stick that in your PIPE KNIFE AND SMOKE IT.

D A M N YANKEE OUT!!!!!

I really wanted to avoid posting to this but DY in all seriousness I think you should seek some education in the industry maybe from adhesive manufacturers or Auto Glass University. I posted the link to 3M so Larry could receive accurate information. "OC" offered to give him advice and that was nice, but your advice lacked facts.

When I first started in 1991 I used butyl and would never use a 1/4" kit on a windshield assuming that's what you were talking about when you said "1/4 in". It is a domestic vehicle so at the time before HV adhesive it would have required a 3/8" kit.
Also I personally have never used "glue" to install anything other than a mirror bracket.
You said 3M "has no viscosity to it. 3M does make a high viscosity adhesive that meets FMVSS 212.

"Never put glue rite over paint primer", this is also incorrect. Depending on the application and adhesive manufacturer this is acceptable. An example would be Volvo that is also one of the safest cars in the world and has high consistency in its crash tests.
From 3M: A very convenient and easy-to-use primer. The Single Step Automotive Glass/Frit Primer:

Does not need an activator.
Can be used on encapsulated glass.
Can be used to touch up scratches on the pinchweld.
Other Major Benefits:

Promotes adhesion of urethane to automotive glass and frit.
Promotes adhesion to automotive paint primers.
Protects urethane from harmful ultraviolet rays.

The above sums up your advice on frit bands also.

I am curious why you think its lousy to come to an auto glass forum to seek technicians input for an all auto glass magazine? Also I can take what people dish out but this is not 3rd grade so lets keep the name calling out of the forum to other people who post here.
If you need any help or information in the industry feel free to call or email me, thanks.

Jamie Browning
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most
D A M N YANKEE
Jamie Browning

D A M N YANKEE OUT!!!!!

I really wanted to avoid posting to this but DY in all seriousness I think you should seek some education in the industry maybe from adhesive manufacturers or Auto Glass University. I posted the link to 3M so Larry could receive accurate information. "OC" offered to give him advice and that was nice, but your advice lacked facts.

When I first started in 1991 I used butyl and would never use a 1/4" kit on a windshield assuming that's what you were talking about when you said "1/4 in". It is a domestic vehicle so at the time before HV adhesive it would have required a 3/8" kit.
Also I personally have never used "glue" to install anything other than a mirror bracket.
You said 3M "has no viscosity to it. 3M does make a high viscosity adhesive that meets FMVSS 212.

"Never put glue rite over paint primer", this is also incorrect. Depending on the application and adhesive manufacturer this is acceptable. An example would be Volvo that is also one of the safest cars in the world and has high consistency in its crash tests.
From 3M: A very convenient and easy-to-use primer. The Single Step Automotive Glass/Frit Primer:

Does not need an activator.
Can be used on encapsulated glass.
Can be used to touch up scratches on the pinchweld.
Other Major Benefits:

Promotes adhesion of urethane to automotive glass and frit.
Promotes adhesion to automotive paint primers.
Protects urethane from harmful ultraviolet rays.

The above sums up your advice on frit bands also.

I am curious why you think its lousy to come to an auto glass forum to seek technicians input for an all auto glass magazine? Also I can take what people dish out but this is not 3rd grade so lets keep the name calling out of the forum to other people who post here.
If you need any help or information in the industry feel free to call or email me, thanks.

News Flash...."Yankee gets served again" Told you that ex-Diamond days of installation wont fly in the real professional world of Auto Glass Installations.. Now be a good little boy and jump in your little Tonka dump truck that you call a service vehicle and drive fast and far away !!!!!

True, Yankee go home. Enough of the name calling, the Guru of Glass just schooled you, then offered to help you. Who is the better man now? And you are old if you still use or own a pipe knife. It's 2014 not 1974

And please, use proper grammar and spell check. It doesn't have to be perfect but good grief! Better to be quiet and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

O GEE, Quotith Not All Ye Sinners. Save a tree guys!!!!!!!

OG
O GEE, Quotith Not All Ye Sinners. Save a tree guys!!!!!!!

another idiot speaketh

OG
O GEE, Quotith Not All Ye Sinners. Save a Vette!!!!!!!

Fixed

Larry
I realize this forum isn't for the typical DIY'fer but with so much misinformation out there on glass installation, I needed some expert opinions on this. I'm a small-time restorer who typically has glass installed by various shops in my small town, USA. I am going to have to start doing this myself as the shops' performance have been marginal at best.

I plan to use 3m Urethane, #08693, on a 69 Camaro windshield. The data sheet says to apply their pinchweld primer, #08681, on the windshield perimeter. Is this assuming that the windshield is the type that has the black coating (Frit?) around the perimeter? My windshield is bare, without any such coating. Will the primer adhere to bare glass? Is urethane directly to glass the best way to go?

Also, the pinch weld area has been sand blasted and two coats of epoxy primer applied. Is it still necessary to apply the pinchweld primer over the epoxy or is it just to cover minor scratches that go to bare metal?

And, one more... Does anybody know where I can get the proper sized dam material for this car?

Thanks!

Larry

This is the original post that started it all, look up the part number..

medium viscosity we all know this is like water, now someone that has had other shop's do his work, and now going to do it on his own. With no prior KNOWLEGDE of how a medium viscosity urethane acts. He will have it squish out all over the place. He restores cars, There for why not point him into the rite direction with a much better quality brand glue that is more user friendly. Would you want to go behind him after the glass was matted down to the pinch weld on a car with a nice paint job? If he isn't going to use a tape kit for the height there is going to be a big gap between the glass and moldings. So in all seriousness instead of using a urethane that most of us don't even use anymore. why not a SIKA brand or ESSEX brand with a higher viscosity build and he would have less troubles down the road.

Now with that said Larry the poster of this tread said he was going to have to use the black primer on the glass. ( and Jamie mentioned it also ) 5 years down the road, we all know that primer will start to shrink peal and crack away from the glass. Then what do you have but total bond FAILURE. Would you want that on your restored 69 Camaro..
We all know with out any protection from the sun and UV rays the glue will break down faster and dry rot.

I don't totally agree but I have to say you're spelling and grammar was much improved. Thank you. Remember, others read these posts and form an opinion of us, good or bad.

Ohhhhh, now someone is backpedaling lol I have only been in the industry 8 years and I know Essex has not made urethane in over 10 years. It's called Dow. Also if you use the 3M primer as directed it will not peel off and crack as you state. If you do not use black primer it will fail from UV exposure. So here you are again giving bad advice. Why don't you just tell him to unroll some butyl and let it ride old timer. And Smiley is right, much better but still a total of 17 grammar mistakes. Just write what you want to say, copy it and paste it in Microsoft Word then copy that and put it on here. Not making fun of anyone because mine is bad also so that's how I do it. Jamie trained me, he once told me he that most people with a lot of years under their belt are set in the old ways of doing things, apparently he is right. You can keep your "decades" of experience, if I need a tape kit or a 55 Chevrolet roped in I'll call you. Now apologize to everyone and let's move on.

smarter than most
Ohhhhh, now someone is backpedaling lol I have only been in the industry 8 years and I know Essex has not made urethane in over 10 years. It's called Dow. Also if you use the 3M primer as directed it will not peel off and crack as you state. If you do not use black primer it will fail from UV exposure. So here you are again giving bad advice. Why don't you just tell him to unroll some butyl and let it ride old timer. And Smiley is right, much better but still a total of 17 grammar mistakes. Just write what you want to say, copy it and paste it in Microsoft Word then copy that and put it on here. Not making fun of anyone because mine is bad also so that's how I do it. Jamie trained me, he once told me he that most people with a lot of years under their belt are set in the old ways of doing things, apparently he is right. You can keep your "decades" of experience, if I need a tape kit or a 55 Chevrolet roped in I'll call you. Now apologize to everyone and let's move on.

Ooooh-My. Only 8 years experience student and he schooled a supposedly 20 year "professor". Don't take offense smart one. Just the amount of "experience" compared to Yankee termed that.

Hey Yanker,

Remember the black primer that you will use to make the frit band will be somewhat hidden from the UV lite when the metal molding are installed. That will give further protection from UV breakdown.

Gotta get a GED before you can go to the Auto Glass School of professional installations there little boy !!!!!!!!!!

smarter than most

Smarter than most.. you must be of hit your head or something.. I am that OLD I'm so old that I forgot my first 8 YEARS of experience, I'm so old I can remember when the first power caulk gun come out in the equalizer catalog.. I'm so old that I can remember how a 55 chevy actually rides down the road.. Your 8 years has nothing on me let me, know when you hit the 25 to 30 year mark then we can talk about the old days, when you started in the industry.

Now maybe you didn't realize it, but maybe you should learn how to read between the lines, and you would understand things more clearly. most of the glue companies have changed everything so I am speaking from past experience in my first 8 years of auto glass service.. Just like we used to push glass out with our heads, and use a BANA KNIFE before a long knife even came out. We used CORK to install door glass's in the slide channel.

So smarter than most, any time you are down here in South Carolina and you want a challenge? Look me up, just stop on by SLAVELIGHT and ask anyone how to get ahold of me, more than likely they have my number. I might be OLD but I will still run CIRCLE's around you..

D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

Smarter than most.. you must be of hit your head or something.. I'm so old I can remember when the first "AEGIS 2.4V" power caulk gun come out in the equalizer catalog. most of the "URETHANE" companies have changed everything so I am speaking from past experience in my first 8 years of auto glass service.. Just like we used to push glass out with our heads, and use a "BANANA" KNIFE before a long knife even came out. We used "PACKING TAPE" to install door glass's in the slide channel.

" " indicates fixed fields

If your really want to show your age. Tell him you used PTI adhesive. That would let me know its not your 1st time around the corner.....

xs
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

Smarter than most.. you must be of hit your head or something.. I'm so old I can remember when the first "AEGIS 2.4V" power caulk gun come out in the equalizer catalog. most of the "URETHANE" companies have changed everything so I am speaking from past experience in my first 8 years of auto glass service.. Just like we used to push glass out with our heads, and use a "BANANA" KNIFE before a long knife even came out. We used "PACKING TAPE" to install door glass's in the slide channel.

If your really want to show your age. Tell him you used PTI adhesive. That would let me know its not your 1st time around the corner.....

XS no it's not a banana knife it was called the BANA knife and we did call it packing, that's what you use for boxes. we called it cork. And oh my I forgot about PTI adhesive now that's stretching way back.

xs
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

I cut my teeth on glass second-generation three other members of my family came up in glass I'm the only one left that still does it. Yes we used to use our heads my cousin is disabled now because of it. I've been at it for almost 30 years, and I'm sure glad that I had an open mind and listened and watched others and learn better ways from others and my own experiences. What was standard procedure 20 years ago is no longer. What will be 20 years from now will be totally different I'm sure. He who learns from the past embraces the present and prepares for the future wins the game. And to date myself yes I used to use protective treatments Inc. urethane also as well as crest brand, and Adco. Whatever was cheapest back then was what we used. You Younghans stop picking on the old-timers you old timers try to learn something from these kids they know what's up in today's world.

D A M N YANKEE
xs
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

XS no it's not a banana knife it was called the BANA knife and we did call it packing, that's what you use for boxes. we called it cork. And oh my I forgot about PTI adhesive now that's stretching way back.

OMG... Your like a roach !!! You just wont die when STOMP on !!!!
Banana knife http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Banana-Knife-CR-Laurence/dp/B002CXNWJ4
Packing tape http://www.glasslinks.com/trivia/oldagtech.htm Looks like we was both rite on this

Trivia for the old timers. What was PTI used for ???

xs
D A M N YANKEE
xs
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

Packing tape http://www.glasslinks.com/trivia/oldagtech.htm Looks like we was both rite on this

I'll give you hint a lot of things from the 50's and some 60's needed it.. Heck for that matter some back glass's nowadays could use it.

xs
D A M N YANKEE
xs
D A M N YANKEE
smarter than most

Ok you got me on this BANANA knife I'm sorry. LOL. I thought back in the old sommaca catalog it was a bana knife. But yes the scalloped edge BANANA knife, is the one I used to have back in the day

The only PTI I remember was butyl tape and liquid butyl. Never liked it as well as 3M Window-Weld. How many remember cutting out butyl set ws on a 90 degree day. The banana knife got kind of messy on Torino's and LTD. Then they started putting that @#%^ urethane on across the bottom! Memory Lane!!

#trainwreck

Slavelites fault!!

I am sorry but I have to chime in, GM used poly sulfide not butyl like Ford with a dam material to install windshields and back glasses before urethane. I have been in the industry over 30 years and work on allot of older cars and have never seen a stock GM windshield with butyl ...I could be wrong but I haven't seen it

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com