AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has the new Connecticut Anti-Steering Law made any noticeable difference?

Has the Connecticut Law requiring Safelite to mention an additional glass shop made any difference yet? (It started January 1.) Have any Connecticut shops noticed more business from insurers where Safelite is the Administrator? Have any Connecticut shops heard anything from their customers about the law?

Re: Has the new Connecticut Anti-Steering Law made any noticeable difference?

YES !!!!!! OVER 40 JOBS IN JANUARY THAT MEANS 40 CUSTOMERS DID NOT HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS FOR W/S OR TEMP. REPLACEMENT . ITS ALL ABOUT CUST. CHOICE

I can't help but ask the question is that higher or lower than your normal number for the month taking into consideration weather conditions and all the variables. i hope you are correct, would love to see the numbers month to month over time to prove it works, please keep us updated.

Yes had 2 jobs in January that were not my original customers and they told me safelite recommended my shop. As far as I can tell it hasn't made much difference around here yet. But on a second note have had quite a bit more referrals from lynx than normal

2 weeks, what planet do you live on?. Our wait is a day and if not booked in the afternoon then same day. I know this

Yes, Mostly Geico and Progressive. I personally believe those two companies told them to follow the law. On the others no. I would also point to the fact that SGC is suing the attorney General because they DON"T want to share. But I do think the law is working however JN Philps and Gerber are not doing it at all. I know the attorney General is asking if they are adhering to the law so hopefully we will win the appeal and then we see some prosecutions to get the other companies to abide for the consumers sake.

The consumers are seeing better turn around times which is what it was designed for because 2 week waits is ridicules.

Is your State next?

Hey CT,
When you call in a claim, are the insurance companies answering the calls with live people or auto attendants? Are the callers advised the name of a licensed non-Safelite shop in the area where the repair is to be done before forwarding the caller to Safelite? If not, why not? Doesn't the law require the insurance companies to do that?

Davey,

Safelite is answering the call live. Safelite, at lest with GEICO and Progressive are giving Safelite and another licensed shop name. I believe SGC is ONLY doing this with the two companies mentioned not with all the company.

The laws states that a TPA can answer the phone but if the TPA owns an installation shop and is going to give out said name. They have to give at lest one other name of a shop in the area of the job.

Simply, if Safelite is going to give out Safelite's name they have to give out at lest of other shop

As I read it, they can give out the name of a network shop, and be compliant wtih the law so you are still tied to the network membership.

The law does not say they have to give out the name of a "non affiliate" shop, does it?

If not, aren't you still tied to the pricing agreement, and if you're still working for free, while the network is working off of a GAI or flat out marking up your bill in the middle, what's the gain, or is it enough gain?

Another thing, safelite complained that it targeted them, when Gerber also owns shops, for example, and so do others as was pointed out in another reply, and frankly, Lynx might just as well be owning shops because they send work to the members via JOB ASSIGNMENTS.

Yet NONE of these people, as YEAF says, are the customer, none are contracting for the repairs to the car, so we have yet to address the real issue. In fact, in a way, this new law codifies the network model.

Maybe I'm just not reading the law correctly, but if I read teh news right, Safelite didn't even want to give out the names of the NETWORK shops! That flat out seems to be a huge issue right there, and I wonder if any network members in CT actually spotted that in the court proceedings?

Just asking...

Bobby
As I read it, they can give out the name of a network shop, and be compliant wtih the law so you are still tied to the network membership.

The law does not say they have to give out the name of a "non affiliate" shop, does it?

If not, aren't you still tied to the pricing agreement, and if you're still working for free, while the network is working off of a GAI or flat out marking up your bill in the middle, what's the gain, or is it enough gain?

Another thing, safelite complained that it targeted them, when Gerber also owns shops, for example, and so do others as was pointed out in another reply, and frankly, Lynx might just as well be owning shops because they send work to the members via JOB ASSIGNMENTS.

Yet NONE of these people, as YEAF says, are the customer, none are contracting for the repairs to the car, so we have yet to address the real issue. In fact, in a way, this new law codifies the network model.

Maybe I'm just not reading the law correctly, but if I read teh news right, Safelite didn't even want to give out the names of the NETWORK shops! That flat out seems to be a huge issue right there, and I wonder if any network members in CT actually spotted that in the court proceedings?

Just asking...

Bobby, you are very astute! I think Safelite's testimony in the CT lawsuit could and should be used against them.

According to the law, they don't have to mention a network affiliate but they do have to mention at least one other "licensed glass repair facility located in the area of where the repair will be made."

With the passage of the law, I do not know why any shop would stay on the network and help bolster the Safelite brand.

P.S. If you haven't seen the most recent glassbytes letter, check this out:

http://www.glassbytes.com/2014/02/connecticut-anti-steering-law-a-month-later/ and pay particular attention to how the CT Dept of Insurance responded as well as the comments at the bottom.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com