AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Auto Glass University

Anyone go to a Auto Glass University class? Just wondering what it cost and if it was good. Might send a new guy if it doesn't cost a ton.

Re: Auto Glass University

Well worth your investment. Cost effective, informative, up to date and very helpful for new and current employees. Highly recommend it.

I'm biased because I developed the course but if you want info on it contact us with an email and we can send you info. ann@autoglassuniversity.com

Jay,

Doesn't your dad run this program? If he does it might be a conflict of interest to not state that, such as you cant review your own business online, you have to disclose that stuff.

Who knows I do not know if he runs it or not..

Ok well thanks Bob, at least you step to the plate and acknowledge this :) Dad's always have a better business sense...

AGRRinCA
Anyone go to a Auto Glass University class? Just wondering what it cost and if it was good. Might send a new guy if it doesn't cost a ton.

It's not cheap I was thinking it was like $800 awhile back ?

Go for it, heck three weeks ago I couldn't spell Autoglassinstaller now I B 1. You know what it says in the ad, "be a Auto Glass Installer or look like one". HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG? THEN YOU CAN WATCH THE BODY SHOPS TRAIN ALL OF THER EMPLOYEES AND YOU WONT HAVE A JOB OR A SHOP.

I went through the university and most of the people were guys who had experience in auto glass already. We were basically doing continuing education and refreshing our skills. Its never to late to keep up with education. This is not a class that someone with no experience can go through and then be ready to go out on their own and do the work. It was about 2.5 days of class room and 2 days of hands on, with half a day watching the instructors do a replacement if I recall correctly.

Pros

The staff was extremely accommodating and knowledgeable about what they were teaching. The facility was very nice and I never really felt like they were pushing Equalizer products while we were there. Yes, they do teach the correct ways to put in a windshield safely and well, correctly. It was good to see other people's input about the industry and try other tools out, many not being Equalizer tools. I say that so people wouldn't think we were just using their tools. We got to meet with many vendors, some I knew, and some I met for the first time. Having Bob there for a few days was really great as he forgot this morning what most in the industry will learn over their entire careers. The man knows his stuff.The class was basically 8-5 Mon-Thur and 8-12 on Fri.

Cons

Someone said earlier it was around $800 for the class, no it was $1200. I think 800 would have been a more reasonable price. As I said, if you have no exp with auto glass, this class will teach you the basics and a few good tricks of the trade but you are far from ready to go out on your own when you get out. There was no hands on with door glass which I thought would be important for guys with no experience to see a few of them done. If they are wanting this to be a training program to get newbies ready it will need to be a 2 week class and shouldn't be more than maybe $1500. I felt for the 1 week class, 2 days of class was a bit much when hands on is so important in this trade. Although saying that, the information was excellent in the classroom part, very well taught.

Again, the instructors were great and it was an awesome facility. I met some great guys in the business. Some have been doing it for 25+ years and a few had no exp. Everybody was friendly and Round Rock Tx is a great town to spend the week. If you are a newbie I would still recommend the class if you have the money. It will teach you the RIGHT way to install but you still need to find someone maybe in another town to let you ride with for awhile to get experience if you are gonna be an independent. The class will be fine if you work with a company and ride with veteran guys after the class. You will know your stuff and not be lost when trying to get experience.

I find it suspicious that Jay Beranek who rarely posts here ever, jumps on 1 hour almost to the minute that this question was asked , almost like people talking to them selves to boost whatever they are peddling ... there is a few here that do that...

I thought the Same thing this morning when I read this but Bit my tongue, What a load of crap, Probably from the same IP address... LOL When I got my start I was sent to Guardians training center in Columbus, To this day I believe I was trained by the Best, My record shows it. It was class room and a lot of hands on training as well with several cut out cars they had at the training center, We even got to go to Upper Sandusky and tour the Windshield plant. I want to say it was a 2 week course, I remember saving the money they gave me for food to buy my first set of tools. I sure hope they don't expect to be handed the keys to a van and a cold knife when they return from this class. I rode with another employee for a good 6 months before I got to go do my first Mobile... An 847 which I broke... LOL I know my Manager was thinking.... OH BOY, but I turned out to be the go to installer for new accounts and Insurance agents etc.
Yea, I Know.... BEEP BEEP!!!!

WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. DONT FEED THE LEECHES. If you own a auto glass business and you have to send your employees somewhere else to be taught the very basics then you really should shut down. I know of two people that went through the so called university and they are even more worthless than the day they started. Consultants and fake university's are just a few of the useless services that are just WORTHLESS CRAP. put your trainee with a tech who knows the real world of auto glass. DONT FEED THE LEECHES!!!!!

I know very little about Auto Glass University, that being said I think any training from people who are industry leaders is a good thing. I have trained over 300 technicians around the world and helped write transportation laws for the most populated country on earth. Why? It doesn't matter how good you think you are you can always learn from others. Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps both have coaches. The reason they are the best is because they know they can always improve their skills and it makes them better at what they do. To say the companies or governments that have asked me for their help to make the industry a safer place should not be in business is a pretty misguided statement. I started my 23rd year in the industry last month and I continue to learn from people who are 30 plus years in the industry and technicians who have one year or less in the industry. Its also a good marketing tool. If your family member was having the brakes or airbag replaced on their car and one person took time to be trained by some of the best in the industry and continues to seek knowledge, and one person has not, who would you tell them to use? If its not for you then so be it, don't bash people who are trying to help other techs.

Dear DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY, YOU are the epitome (that means "ultimate example" btw) of the auto glass industry's problems. DWYM How can education ever be considered worthless crap? I've been to several schools (30 years in AGRR) and have always learned something new or made a bad habit better. I haven't tried the AGU, but with all the experience and support there, I'd say its probably great. I'd say more but you'd enjoy it way too much and spend your day on here typing more garbage. Have a nice day DWYM. Cheers to you.

The last class i attended i learned to install a w/s without removing the cowl, and on the same vehicle we learned to ignore all the rust. The vehicle was an employee of the sponsor (distributor) who paid for the instructors. The expert instructors were from wisconsin,
and highly acclaimed. i no longer believe in experts of any kind, your experience may vary.
If installers are going to have bad habits, i want to be the one who taught them those bad habits. Un-teaching someones bad habits are harder than teaching from scratch, it is easier to establish limits for your installers yourself. i don't see the need to tear down anyone who disagrees with you or me.

jimmy in all fairness how long ago was that?
Yesterday
Last Week
Last Month
Last Year
5 years ago
10 years ago
15 years ago
20 years ago
25 years ago
No one has promoted rust since the Carlite School brought it to the forefront!

guessing within the last five or eight years. there were speakers at the iga show explaining the rust issue prior to this class. Had it not been for the IGA promoting the importance of the rust issue, i would not have been aware of the rust issue.
all they did was ask the employee if he wanted to get the rust fixed, that it was bad enough to go to a body shop. The employee didn't want to spend the money to get it fixed correctly, so they installed the windshield.

The two places I worked (back when I was a kid) and in my own shop, always pushed to have rust repaired properly. Back when it wasn't a safety issue we pushed because it was a water leak issue

Jamie, That was well said.... There are so many people in our profession that think they know it all!!! I to learn new stuff all the time, I read and I research... The Class at Guardian I talked about earlier... There was a student in my class.. We were being trained on how to install a rubber set slider, The instructor was feeding the rope in the Gasket with his finger tips, One student took a tip from a urethane tube, fed the rope through it and had the rope in the Gasket fast and easy. The instructor was very pleased and it was a valuable lesson, We had a student teach the Instructor a trick. On the same subject, I have always cut off the little guide on the urethane tips with a razor knife, My daughter was helping me one day and I watched her put a tip on a tube and she hit the guide in a fast motion on the edge of my tool box and off it went, Guess who does it that way now?? Are you really an industry leader if you in fact try to recruit Body Shops to take your class so they don't have to use Auto Glass Shops anymore??? More like an industry C@ck Blocker if you ask me!!! How bout I teach the Mechanics at my really big Trucking company accounts how to install 1308's, I mean they are SUPER EASY to do, Why should I make 20 grand a year from one account when I could simply teach a few of their employees how to do it for lets say... 800 bucks!!! While I am at it I might as well tell them to buy their own repair kit too!!! You ARE NOT an industry LEADER when you are out trying to take money from the companies that work hard to gain and maintain Body Shop Accounts by recruiting them to do their own glass work!!!

Jimmy don't hold back who is the "Expert" From Wisconsin? I thought all they did up there was make beautiful cheese? I do not know anyone from Wisconsin , only thing I know besides cheese is the Wisconsin Dells

Thanks to all of those with legitimate feedback on Auto Glass University, both praise and critique. I value all comments equally and work to make improvements. I have tried hard not to comment on this thread because of the subject matter, but I have to remark on a few things being said and correct some misconceptions.

The first auto glass installation school I ever developed was a two week course and some still thought it was too short. When does the training end? The reality is that we will never have “enough” installation training. Every year new vehicles are introduced and every technician has to learn new tools and techniques again. Wisconsin seems to be a haven for experts, but just to be clear, I would never teach someone to install a windshield without removing the cowl or to ignore the rust!

The curriculum for Auto Glass University does not promote any business or product. Students get an unbiased look at a wide variety of tools, sealants, software and services for the industry. It is based on teaching basic concepts that can be replicated from one vehicle to another. I realize it is not possible to teach every clip release, every molding removal, every tool available and every technique to make your job easier in a week. Auto Glass University is designed to set a foundation on which to build the skills you need to become proficient and maybe more important, to learn where to go to find the information you need to do the job right. If anyone has a better idea, I am open for discussion.

In the 30 years I’ve been training, I’m continually amazed by the number of experienced technicians who come to me after class and tell me that they never knew they were putting in glass incorrectly until now. The tech that learns his trade by riding with another installer does not necessarily learn best practices or how to protect himself from liability and keep the customer safe, he just learns how the other guy does it.

There are trainers who have done the work and others who have never pulled a cold knife. Some of the earlier posts give perfect examples of guys that have done the job and think they can teach. How many of you expert technicians out there forget to put on safety gloves and glasses? How many of you automatically do something without thinking. It’s not easy to demonstrate correct technique perfectly time after time. Training conducted by experienced industry experts is an investment in your career and money well spent.

Think this about says it all.

http://www.autoglassuniversity.com/

How much do you spend on auto glass services?

Bob Beranek

President of Automotive Glass Consultants Inc

A collision center or dealership can spend up to $500,000 per year on auto glass related services. During this tight economic market, saving is the key to survival. Automotive Glass Consultants (AGC) can save you thousands of dollars by training your employees to do auto glass installation on-site for a fraction of the cost of outsourcing the auto glass replacement service. There is no more cost effective way to train your employees than at your own location, doing your work and pleasing your customers. They will learn:

What is urethane and why is it necessary?
What is safe-drive-away time, and why it is important?
What tools will offer the most productive glass removal?
What value added options require special procedures?

The course work, designed by renowned industry expert Bob Beranek, offers a diversified combination of learning options at prices that include special collision center/dealership discounts. Choose from:

• On-site lecture, hands-on training or a combination of the two to meet the experience level of the technician.
• Distance learning through online course work coupled with a hands-on follow up.
• Design the training program that fits your business needs.
• We can even supply “Tech Support” for a nominal monthly fee.

AGC trains to the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS). We research the most up-to-date information from vehicle, adhesive, tool, and glass manufacturers and compile the data into easy to understand learning modules for your employees to follow. Your technician will master auto glass removal and installation tools more quickly than you ever thought possible.

OH G

Don't understand the point of your post.

This is the way they promote themselves and their agenda.

This site was supposed to not allow anytype of marketing or promoting of

a business.

BLA BLA BLA

The first link has a direct connection to Equalizer. The rest is self explanatory; you are not needed you can be replaced by body shop people doing your jobs. Are you people that lame????????????????

are nitryl gloves warm? don't see a lot of pictures doing mobiles in the snow with nitryl glvoes.

expert needed
are nitryl gloves warm? don't see a lot of pictures doing mobiles in the snow with nitryl glvoes.

Buy bigger ones and put them over your gloves, double them up.

expert needed
are nitryl gloves warm? don't see a lot of pictures doing mobiles in the snow with nitryl gloves.

Hey Troll,

You should totally go to a class! You'd learn that most urethane won't cure properly in freezing temperatures...

Total waste of time and money.

Wasn't a review, I answered a question honestly.

Isn't this a question/answer forum. Sorry, next time I'll put my resume up before answering a question.

Any Carlite grads out here?

I remember one class, had the clown in the front row all slouched down, bobbing his head around as Len Stolk was running the class. In the afternoon a few of us pulled him aside for a "talk". He was typical of some of the above negative posters, knew it all yadda yadda.

Well come Thursday and graduation, where we all put on suits and ties to celebrate our week, and who was crying in his beer that night about how wrong he was? I do mean physically crying.

This was typical for the Carlite Class, much sharing of information, techniques and open minds for learning. Those of us who were there to demonstrate tools for our various employers were more than happy to step up and demonstrate our competitors tool if their rep couldn't make the class.

Gil, Eric, Trevor, Malcolm, Mark, Frank, Tommy, Mike and many others put in time to teach and learn from these classes.

Bob has been in front of our industry teaching for many, many years. If you don't learn anything from a classroom setting it is only because you didn't pay attention.

Are they worth it? Are you?

I am a veteran Heavy Equipment and Automotive Mechanic with an Associates in Diesel Technology and a Bachelors in Entrepreneurial Business. I knew a bit about auto glass before I started my mobile service this last December. I had done side windows, repaired regulators and had bolted in glass and roped in about 20 Peterbilt windshields. So, before the AGU class I bought some tools, watched videos & went to the junkyard where I would not destroy anybody's ride and began to train myself. Despite thinking that I had a decent grasp on the process I knew that as a new business owner it was important to avoid a torpedo to my ship before I got out of the harbor. I also knew that I'd get exposure to more tools at the course and I could probably pick somebody's brain to find out what I was doing wrong with my viper. So, I went to Auto Glass University and I have no regrets. When I returned home, I caught up on my workload and then easily passed my AGSC & NWRA tests without studying. Gil and Bob were great but the vendors were not around much the week I was there (only a Dow Rep for some evening grub n'learn. Initially when I was contemplating where to go get training I thought $1200 plus food, fuel and lodging sounded like a lot but in reality it was minimal in the grand scheme of things and also when considering the consequences of a lack of training. Now, once I onboard employees I can teach them the AGRSS standard and then send them to a course as well. This course is all about installing automotive glass safely and without scratching your clients cars.

Those of you that don't value education are close minded.

Snowman, first off, thanks for serving and sorry I wasn't able to attend. I was scheduled to be there and present the Glass Bot to the class but something came up that prevented me from attending. I hope you got to see our product demonstrated. Hopefully next class I can personally attend if someone else sponsors the class.

I also offer a discount to veterans as a Viet Nam Vet myself.

Rick

Having gone from Glazier to installer to Technician in the past 50 years, taking the AGU course and the trying to go out and replace glass is like mastering the See Spot Run book and then trying to read an encyclopedia. I trained many people over the years and it take a minimum of six months of constant guidance & training to get them to beginner level of doing replacements.

Sglass
Having gone from Glazier to installer to Technician in the past 50 years, taking the AGU course and the trying to go out and replace glass is like mastering the See Spot Run book and then trying to read an encyclopedia. I trained many people over the years and it take a minimum of six months of constant guidance & training to get them to beginner level of doing replacements.

SGlass - Have you taken the Auto Glass University course? Without beginning with (and learning) the "See Spot Run" book, one cannot expect to ever read an encyclopedia. Of course one will not master auto glass installation in a week either. It takes knowledge of basic principles, exposure and practice on specialized tools, experience in different vehicles and skills developed over time. However, the quickest and safest way for a tech to get productive is with an experienced instructor who allows the student to study in a controlled environment at his/her own pace and to learn from their mistakes.

Riding in a truck with a productive technician is not the most efficient way to learn auto glass installation, it only prolongs the process. The new tools and vehicle designs make the art of installation physically easier but the technology built into the new vehicles make our job more important to the safety of the vehicles' occupants. There is a place for the ride-along-trainer to explain "how to" if given the proper time, but if the basics aren’t covered in the beginning the "whys" are not answered and that can be a disadvantage to an installer all through his career.

Sglass

A person with good mechanical aptitude that already knows a lot about cars or equipment could take this course and have absolutely no problem doing solid replacements. I am living proof.

Mercedes GL320 CDI - Installed Friday -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12920327_1764070047155039_6933515024906698278_n.jpg?oh=866f8f483fbfdbbc4610ef409f7fe18a&oe=57BA697D

2011 Honda Pilot - Installed Thursday -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/12670686_1764292203799490_7595787595405083543_n.jpg?oh=1895159512895f4c1c5796c64c3027b6&oe=5772FA83

1998 Dodge Ram - Cutout (Also last Thursday) -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12495085_1759971994231511_2943179673936633964_n.jpg?oh=5b7a4964a0a2b8f49fa53bd94d6eb9f9&oe=577DCF6F

SNOWMAN
Sglass

A person with good mechanical aptitude that already knows a lot about cars or equipment could take this course and have absolutely no problem doing solid replacements. I am living proof.

Mercedes GL320 CDI - Installed Friday -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12920327_1764070047155039_6933515024906698278_n.jpg?oh=866f8f483fbfdbbc4610ef409f7fe18a&oe=57BA697D

2011 Honda Pilot - Installed Thursday -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/12670686_1764292203799490_7595787595405083543_n.jpg?oh=1895159512895f4c1c5796c64c3027b6&oe=5772FA83

1998 Dodge Ram - Cutout (Also last Thursday) -->

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12495085_1759971994231511_2943179673936633964_n.jpg?oh=5b7a4964a0a2b8f49fa53bd94d6eb9f9&oe=577DCF6F

Not trying to burst your bubble or be stubborn but the cars you named sound impressive, but they are easy replacements.

Jay Beranek
Well worth your investment. Cost effective, informative, up to date and very helpful for new and current employees. Highly recommend it.

In all fairness he should disclose that his dad is an instructor.

Conflict of Interest?
Jay,

Doesn't your dad run this program? If he does it might be a conflict of interest to not state that, such as you cant review your own business online, you have to disclose that stuff.

Who knows I do not know if he runs it or not..

You are correct,

1 hour later?
I find it suspicious that Jay Beranek who rarely posts here ever, jumps on 1 hour almost to the minute that this question was asked , almost like people talking to them selves to boost whatever they are peddling ... there is a few here that do that...

LMFAO

Sglass

Not trying to burst your bubble or be stubborn but the cars you named sound impressive, but they are easy replacements.

They are all easy if you have the proper training!

I am only stating here that the class is perfect for motivated individuals that already have a good mechanical background. If your sending somebody who has no business being there in the first place then yah, its not long enough and would benefit from more hands on with door glass and sliders.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com