AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dw 1817 Cadillac SRX Rain Sensor Not working now

Installed a gby Fyg , Glass came with attachments as well as sensor bracket. Now customer says sensor not working, I searched the archives on here and saw another post regarding the 1817 sensor issues. This is like our 2nd time ever with a sensor related complaint, as we always use the bonded with attachments on Bmw. Mercedes, ETC. Anyone know how I might solve this issue ? Thanks

Re: Dw 1817 Cadillac SRX Rain Sensor Not working now

My first thought is check the owners manual and turn the feature off. Remove the key from the car and then start from scratch. Turn the car on and turn the feature on using the directions in the owners manual. In my experience this helps with about 50% of rain sensor 'not working' issues.

Did your replace the gel? Sometimes if you get an air bubble between the glass and the gel it will cause it to not work. Also, when I worked for the big s, we had issues with sgc glass and rain sensors and when we used a different brand, it would be fixed. Hope some of this helps....

This rain sensor set up does use a gel pak. It just slip in between a friction clip. Did you unplug the sensor at all?

Every one of these we had to use dealer glass. All the aftermarket ones we have tried do not work. They come with the eye on the glass, but if you look close from the outside, there is no cut out in the frit in the third visor to let it "see". Check a dealer part and you will clearly see a rectangle cut out behind the eye in the frit.

xs
This rain sensor set up does use a gel pak. It just slip in between a friction clip. Did you unplug the sensor at all?

Edit insert does not use a gel pak

We have seen a few of these have bad lenses on the aftermarket parts. The inside surface of the new lens looks rough as though somebody sanded it. It should be shiny (it's an optical component after all). Replacing with dealer glass fixes the problem.

Can-am
Every one of these we had to use dealer glass. All the aftermarket ones we have tried do not work. They come with the eye on the glass, but if you look close from the outside, there is no cut out in the frit in the third visor to let it "see". Check a dealer part and you will clearly see a rectangle cut out behind the eye in the frit.

Had a customer return one last week PLK said the frit wasn’t cut out. Of course they didn’t bother to inspect the glass until it was in the car… So I grabbed a blade and cut off the sensor to find that yes the frit is cut out.

Due to the part being a shade and the tolerances being so close you can’t see it from the front of the glass. So as suggested earlier I would try and reset rather than re-do. Yes we carry FYG as well and they are cut out as well.

Warehouse guy, I have a pilk and fyg on my rack. They most certainly do not have the cut out from the front. You are welcome to come look at I them If you don't believe me. Why didn't you check the part before deliverIng it? I had this problem six months ago and the warehouse knows of the complaint and still sells them knowing they don't work. We had three different aftermarket ones, none had the cut out. We dry fit all of them and tried the rain sensor and none worked. We then dry fit a dealer part and the sensor worked immediately.

"Due to the part being a shade and the tolerances being so close you can’t see it from the front of the glass. So as suggested earlier I would try and reset rather than re-do. Yes we carry FYG as well and they are cut out as well."

If you can't see it from the front of the glass then the sensor can't see through it either, Those of you doing these cars, please don't listen to Warehouse guy, he's been delivering unwashed , scratched and chipped glass too long. Save yourself the headache and just use the dealer part..

Can-Am explanation makes a lot of sense. Im not buying the Warehouse Guys reasoning. We never unplugged the sensor just remove and re install it. But if it cannot see, then it cannot need the rain. How do I explain to my customer that he got a defective part and needs to come up with another $$$$ to fix the problem?? CRUD

UNBELIEVABLE
Can-Am explanation makes a lot of sense. Im not buying the Warehouse Guys reasoning. We never unplugged the sensor just remove and re install it. But if it cannot see, then it cannot need the rain. How do I explain to my customer that he got a defective part and needs to come up with another $$$$ to fix the problem?? CRUD

You cant... You suck it up... And you set your table... You have to eat this one for customer service and make it up on the next one... Don't get your A$$ all cut up when it comes out the other end....lol

Re did one, think we went PGW (go figure), Pilk N/G ! Cust cool .

Just installed on late Friday afternoon/evening using a Pilk glass. We'll see what I walk into on Monday morning.

Just curious why I have to eat it when I did nothing wrong. I'm sure I can just send the bill to My#### Glass. They sold me a defective part and need to be held responsible. LMAO

unbelievable
Just curious why I have to eat it when I did nothing wrong. I'm sure I can just send the bill to My#### Glass. They sold me a defective part and need to be held responsible. LMAO

At best the vendor will just reimburse you the cost of the glass.
You retailed the glass out to "your" customer
You are responsible for "your" customer satisfaction.
Yes, If you was aware of the problem. You would have quoted a different price to "your" customer
'Your" most likely going to have to eat the cost of the mistake. Even thou its not yours. I know we would have to sit at the table and say pass the salt please...

anyone know if Pgw glass the sensor will work ????

there is NO GEL pak for this windshield. I just put in a fyg GTY and am told that the glass is too thick for sensor to work. (caddy Dealer told the Customer)now going to go out and put in a Pilkington GTY to see if that will work....wish me luck. The car had GTY and so will only try GTY. Will not take chance on GBY. Also the FYG pegs were not in the correct places on the windshield compared to OEM and had to cut plastic holder to make everything fit....DONOT try FYG.

Hi there I was wondering if changing the windshield out has helped your issue? We are having the same problem with a DW1817 GTY FYG & PPG. We have also had it calibrated and it is still not working.!

yes

We recently installed a GBY XYG and are encountering the same problem. We took the vehicle into the Cadillac dealership and had a rain sensor diagnostic run on it. They said the rain sensor was working fine but there wasn't a "cutout in the frit" for the rain sensor to read through the windshield. Also, we have contacted our distributors and asked them if there is a gel pack for this windshield. I did the installation myself and don't remember seeing any gel but they are listing the GGS901 sensor tak gel or the precut GGS1659. So does this rain sensor actually need gel and if so, the shape of the rain sensor is totally different from the gel pad that is listed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The DW01817 current application for a replacement GGG Rain Sensor PAD is the GGS 915 PAD or the Kit GGS 915 KIT. The Sensor lens should come on the windshield.
You may call me 603-483-2435.

Thanks again for the feedback Mark. It was a pleasure talking with you. We went to the Cadillac dealership and saw the differences between an OEM GM windshield which was GTY and a generic XYG windshield which was GBY. I agree with your thought that the blue shade is probably inhibiting the rain sensor from detecting rain through the windshield. We are going to go to PGW to take a look at their DW 1817 GTY. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Going to lose money on this one but sometimes in this industry that's what it takes to keep a customer happy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Glad you are able to make a determination for a fix for your customer.

you can always go to www.gggcorp.com and look up part specific stuff!! Great people over at GGG (yes I am a fan boy!)

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com