AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Build your own express, stingray out of sawsall

Can you avoid the expense of buying these tools and buy just the sheath and blade? I'm new to the biz and we are responsible for our own tools (I was told this prevents theft, abuse to tools.) I think we are paid fairly for these conditions, but even at that those are really $$$

Re: Build your own express, stingray out of sawsall

No the insides are changed.We had a express go bad and I bought a dewalt sawzall and had to convert the insides from the old one.HTH

yes and no. last time i checked the head unit for these would only be sold to you if you returned the damaged one to equalizer.
however, we had one go out and i ourchased a dewalt and transfered over the head unit, sheath, and a threaded sections to the dewalt. works fine and is less expensive than purchasing the new part from equalizer.
best bet is to look on ebay for one. if not buy a new one.

That's really too bad. While a harbor freight sawsall probably wouldn't last long, I wish there were cheaper options than the "official" one. Maybe someone can't invent a conversion kit to sell?

ttech
yes and no. last time i checked the head unit for these would only be sold to you if you returned the damaged one to equalizer.
however, we had one go out and i ourchased a dewalt and transfered over the head unit, sheath, and a threaded sections to the dewalt. works fine and is less expensive than purchasing the new part from equalizer.
best bet is to look on ebay for one. if not buy a new one.

You are correct that many parts interchange.

And if you spend $150 or so on the Dewalt Sawsall kit with the SRP batteries and charger, at worst case you save tons of $ and have a couple extra SRP batteries!

The problem is they shorten throw from 3/4 inch to 3/8 inch ( how far the blade goes in and out) in the transmission, it is an easy fix if you are good with mechanics and machine work, but you still need a sheath and the clamp to hold it, but you can save a couple hundred bucks even buying the sheath and clamp

Hi, I'm a doctor just getting started performing surgery. I am looking for some cheap razor blades and a utility knife blade kit. I want to make my own bone cutting tools from some cheap tool sales company. Can you guys recomend something.

New guy, step up to the plate and buy the proper tools you need to perform the task at hand. It will last longer and you will have someone to go to that developed the device in the first place.

The Express tool takes quit a beating, I would suggest buying the best tools you can afford, don't cut corners on a tool you depend on to do your job.

Soon all the Safelite Techs will be selling there exstractors.Big Safelite says we cant use them!

I cant even cut a windshield out without one anymore, they got me by the balls

power tool man
I cant even cut a windshield out without one anymore, they got me by the balls

You can use your long knife to cut them off.Oooops you dont even have that anymore....lol.....

Anyone ever hear of a patent?

Thinking
Anyone ever hear of a patent?

Who cares? Not like anyone is selling it, were just trying to cut out some glass and get on to the next job. I can duplicate equalizer express wobble gears in my sleep, and I build them out of 304 stainless not cheap pot metal like they do so they can sell ya a new one when it breaks down.

I look at it this way. When I was young and doing a lot of jobs around the house I would use the tools I had available to save money. As I grew older and wiser, I was sure to have the proper tools first before I began doing any jobs. It made the job easier, relieved a lot of frustrations, and made me proud of the work I had done. It freed up time for me which in turn could mean additional work for you. Your choice.

First of all, who is the coward posting behind "Dr. Vinnie Boombutts"? Second, are you telling me that there is no competition in the world of medical equipment? You bet there is, that's a much larger market than glass tools. I won't claim to know if equalizer has a patent on their tools, but I'm pretty sure they are making a pretty penny on them. Are you to goober type installer who is sucked into their marketing vortex? The goofy catalog covers depicting future "Glassman"? It's just marketing to make all of us driving around in trucks, vans, hanging out in various degrees of shops think that we are saving the world from broken glass. It's just a job. While I want to do as good of a job as possible, I'm also in this biz to try and make some $$$ for my family. Maybe you are the type that just uses the power cutout tools on every job without any lube on the blade. In that case you had better get the strongest tool on market.

New Drew
First of all, who is the coward posting behind "Dr. Vinnie Boombutts"? Second, are you telling me that there is no competition in the world of medical equipment? You bet there is, that's a much larger market than glass tools. I won't claim to know if equalizer has a patent on their tools, but I'm pretty sure they are making a pretty penny on them. Are you to goober type installer who is sucked into their marketing vortex? The goofy catalog covers depicting future "Glassman"? It's just marketing to make all of us driving around in trucks, vans, hanging out in various degrees of shops think that we are saving the world from broken glass. It's just a job. While I want to do as good of a job as possible, I'm also in this biz to try and make some $$$ for my family. Maybe you are the type that just uses the power cutout tools on every job without any lube on the blade. In that case you had better get the strongest tool on market.

First of all Mr new drew guy it was tongue-in-cheek. The point is if you cannot afford to buy the proper tools to do the job correctly find another profession, so we don't have to fix you newbie ef-ups!

Well, your going to do what you want any way, so when your untested make$hit tool fails and hurts you or the car your working on .. your responsible for the damage for wanting to save a few bucks.

The Harbor freight sawzall works just fine. I've. Been using mine for years now and still never had an issue

You could invest in a tool that offers a lifetime warranty. Vibration kills reciprocal tools.

I actually tried it with a harbor freight Sawzall. I made my own sheath. Made the foot rigid so it doesn't pivot and it works great. For $20. It can be done as long as the saw has a throw shorter than 3/4". I've been using it for a while. I'm going to make a cordless one soon.

I was one of the last Techs at Safelite that they bought a extractor for! We got to pick the one we wanted between corded or cordless and Milwaukee or Equalizer. I went with Milwaukee corded express. Been an awesome tool.

Does anyone have pics or video of how to achieve the 3/8 stroke on a Makita cordless? I have access to a machine shop. The shoe adjusts or can be removed quickly, is there an easy solution to adapt the glass cutting blades? The quick quarter turn blade release is a real time saver as well as keeping my blades from getting damaged or bent when on the go. Thanks D

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com