AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Any good female auto glass installers out there?

I've never met a female auto glass installer. Has anyone out there ever met one? Was she any good? I think it would be impressive to have a female on payroll and also may even be great for marketing purposes. I've heard they really don't have the strength to do the job. So I imagine if there is one out there she could probably beat me in hammerschlogen and hold her own in the beer tent.

Re: Any good female auto glass installers out there?

never happen

In 2006 at the tech olympics there was one.First rate installer.

This place is owned and operated by a female and friend of mine. http://www.bestpieceofglass.com/

I have had four now that knew the job inside and out. They didn't set them by themselves but their attention to details and quality were so much better than most of the males. Yes they struggled strength wise with some cut outs.
I always have females doing the chip repairs. They can make the sale easier at the car lots and again the patience and quality are tops.

If I could keep all their personal drama(men and the other females) out of their lives, I would proably still have them all employed for me.

I have train about 3 ladies and ALL did excellent! We don't set many with 1 person anyway. Trained X-wife, 1 secretary after a divorce, and now current wife 95 lb spitfire, that can split wood faster than I can, and can break a plastic nut driver with one hand. And she can cut glass, measure and install IG's. and she is a great asset on door glass when my big hands and arms can't get in the door, her's can.

She comes from a farming, and construction back ground. If I had a few more of her I would be rich!!! (with her by my side I already am rich).

And never have any, go and start their own show! But the key is finding a gal who doesn't mind getting dirty, and has a mechanical aptitude.

Got one, she is good, does it all and even sets by herself. She is mine and you can't have her.

We should hire the best person for the job, regardless of the shape of their skin.

My wife comes with me occasionally. She will run the 'thane and help me set all day long. She likes it. I've thought about us doing it full time together...the problem is she would probably make me work too hard...LOL. :)

Her real job is as a Sheriff's Deputy...so she is plenty tough from wrestlin' inmates and other scum.

AGN

My wife helps the in shop tech set windshields sometimes when we are short handed.

Although a few years back AGRRR did a story about a 16 year old girl that was certified and installed. I think it was in an issues in 2001 or 2002. Penny maybe able to locate it and do a follow up article on it. Maybe a Women in Auto Glass article.

We do like SBOK we have a two women that do repairs for us works out great.

My wifey is the collection agency.When someone stiffs us with a check or tries a credit card charge back I give it to her.Man I feel sorry for those people............

Me! I have grown up in Glass really. I have been taught auto glass since I was 12. I'm now 23 and I do installations on my own while my father keeps the books. He's 56 so he's aging out of the business.
I love it, but I don't love the looks I get when I show up. Ugh hate repair (doesn't everyone?)! I'm also not a pro at glass cutting. I mean I'm good enough to do little stuff like stickers and what not but I haven't quite got the touch yet. We do alright and I'm slowly taking over the business half of the business as well.

I can tell you that it's not easy. The strength part initially slowed me down but there are ways to get around it like finding your balance and the right angle for me to pull the knife or hold the glass is different as I haven't got as much upper body strength as lower.

anyway, give a girl a chance. If she's anything like me she'll be a perfectionist and go the extra mile to get it done right, quickly and the first time

My sister can put most guys to shame.

my mother use to cut the pattern and would install back in the late 40's 50'. wife and daughter will wrench when i am busy but since we get less for install they make more money re doing screens

About ten years ago, in a shop in Campbell Ca, there was a woman installer that was the daughter of the owner. No mobile just in-shop.

I hired women that did windshield repair and they had to help my mobile guys if they need a hand setting a glass at a dealership.
I would have given any one them a shot at installing if they had asked or had shown interest.

with the tools today, bull strength is no longer needed. I would say I would value attention to detail a more valuable asset which I think more women possess than a guy.

I TOO, OWN MY OWN AUTO GLASS FRANCHISE. I AM A WOMAN WHO DOES WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE. ALL WHILE BABYSITTIN THE BOYZ...

I've worked with some for a few years. Family drama is a problem and there are some places that are not female friendly. I wouldn't shoot down a female installer, my secretary helps set and occasionally goes on the road to do jobs. I have also noticed that because women lack strength, the finess with tools are questionable.

I've been installing my entire life. I also have a female helper.

AB
I TOO, OWN MY OWN AUTO GLASS FRANCHISE. I AM A WOMAN WHO DOES WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE. ALL WHILE BABYSITTIN THE BOYZ...

Great, but you don't have to yell! CAPS is not necessary!

There was a woman installer who owned & installed about 45-50 years ago. Her name escapes me but I'm sure Ira would remember.

The EZ wire and the Little buddy were supposed to bring waves of female installers to Belron's installing force.

Anybody know if the Big B was able to land the female techs?

Jimmy crack corn ...
The EZ wire and the Little buddy were supposed to bring waves of female installers to Belron's installing force.

Anybody know if the Big B was able to land the female techs?

When I was in the Columbia market 4 to 5 years ago, They hired a female to install. She was only about 5ft 3in but very well built, From what they said she worked out everyday. They trained her to do everything from repairs to installs, From I can recall she did very well. Don't know what happened to her if she quit or got laid off, But I was told she would only set a glass on a 2 person set. After that I don't think this market ever hired another female to install.

NO

YES YES AND YES AGAIN I have one of the best of the best. she knows more then most of the dummie installers out there! she has more common sense than most all dummies out there, and she is only 58 years old!!!!!! She can put you Young boys to rest every day

Just curious, Can someone enlighten me to the reason a subject like this one garners nearly 2,000 views and a ton of participation by readers while a subject like the complete shut down of direct billing in Florida gets barely a glance by comparison. Don't get me wrong, I think this topic is perfectly legitimate and should get the attention it has, but at the same time, I can't reconcile why hundreds of Florida shops facing economic collapse does not at least attract equal attention.

I think people do not come here for serious things. and some of it is the same person with multiple names posting ON occasion

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com