AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
the problem with safelite belron

this company sucks since belron took over they can careless about there employees ,they use the worst and cheapest glass with waves in it every peice of **** glass stress breaks ,your techs are overworked to the point they cant even keep up because there is no organization at the call center . and to top it off all gms are running around yelling QUALITY QUALITY pull cowls but here 8 jobs and dont worry at 330 in the afternoon we will shove 3 more addons down your throat ,all the while the tech is wondering how hes gona add in 3 hours of driveing on top of all that. well i guess belron thinks hiring a rookie army with new equipment is going to solve this problem great now a lesser paid inexperianced tech will be coming to your house soon. but dont worry he has the ezwire wich rips vin tags and lower pinch welds off like its a hungry animal,but wait the lil buddy he carries is going to save his back while he hunches over the hood of your car swinging it around like a monkey, sure hope that cup holds.the upper management has really lost it . in fact i think they actually believe they made billions because every tech was pulling cowls.

Re: the problem with safelite belron

That's how it was pre belron. Nothings changed. They had me doin 14 a day and complained I worked to fast. Would not pay overtime so why work slow.

its just ironic how they push for crazy numbers and then have the nerve to shove the quality bs . 14 a day thats kinda crazy you probably werent pulling cowls lol.

the tech
this company sucks since belron took over they can careless about there employees ,they use the worst and cheapest glass with waves in it every peice of **** glass stress breaks ,your techs are overworked to the point they cant even keep up because there is no organization at the call center . and to top it off all gms are running around yelling QUALITY QUALITY pull cowls but here 8 jobs and dont worry at 330 in the afternoon we will shove 3 more addons down your throat ,all the while the tech is wondering how hes gona add in 3 hours of driveing on top of all that. well i guess belron thinks hiring a rookie army with new equipment is going to solve this problem great now a lesser paid inexperianced tech will be coming to your house soon. but dont worry he has the ezwire wich rips vin tags and lower pinch welds off like its a hungry animal,but wait the lil buddy he carries is going to save his back while he hunches over the hood of your car swinging it around like a monkey, sure hope that cup holds.the upper management has really lost it . in fact i think they actually believe they made billions because every tech was pulling cowls.

DL

Jan 18, 2010 - 9:53PM QuoteReply Re: safelite national meeting

while you may be confusing me with another DL, I have been around this board and its two predecessors for the last 5+ years. I have also been in the industry and involved for long enough (26 years)to know how it works from all end
As far as my involvement on this, or any other industry board, I really don't consider this a treasure chest of competitive information. To the contrary, I think most of what is posted here is pure, unfiltered crap. I post rarely, but reserve my right to do so, just as you do.

Professionally, I do care about the industry, my employees, my company and my career. I conduct myself and my business accordingly. I have no interest in what you USED to do or what you THINK you know. I also don't care WHO you glean your half stories from.

I will continue to strive to improve our business and support my associates. I am sure you will do the same. Personally, after seeing both sides of the street, I like the view from over here.

This is quote from a upper management person at Belron....lol....Who am I to believe?????..Tech I believe you because Ive seen it 1st hand personally.And that is not 2nd hand info.......

Actually I did pull cowls and primed. Just didnt wait for it to dry, did short cut instead of tape kit. Could do a 1201 in 10 min flat. pulling cowl was faster than trying to stand it up. Drove the truck like a race car though. Foot stayed in the gas lucky not to be dead and lucky to still have my liscense

Hoss
You feel lucky to get 7-8 jobs a day...lol....I think that is way to many for what they want from the techs.taking away long knives,extractor will be next to go.the trainee tool kits from what I understand will be issued to the mobile truck you are in and your own personal tools will not be allowed.Imagine a play school set to install glass on a scissor type cart."Like a butcher meat cart"lol..Ive personally seen the tool kit they issue out to the trainee's.And you gotta be kiddin rite?????The only tool that is worth while is the Lil Buddy2.Sundays are in the contract for the new hires...Repair medics in our area are already working Sundays....I don't see how you guys can keep your sanity

the guys at my shop were all saying the same thing. the rookie invasion is to get rid of all the good techs i think they actually beleive this idiot proof system will work for them have no fear safelite will soon be a jiffy lube . and yes the lil buddie is pretty good system but the ezwire is just for the trash can i was told it would save my body wich in fact no tool we use saves the body. can you imagine cranking that thing all day i cant. yes sundays are soon to follow the repair medics are working them in my area. techs were also told some holidays would not be observed this year along with being opened all day christmas eve and new years.i personaly would put in 6 days a week i was constantley asked to help out.but acording to the so called project evolution techs in the future will only be required to install up to 5 jobs a day using the new tool kits. so how are they still gonna do as much work with that kinda limit hmmm .

The wire system is good for certain windows,mostly exposed edge glass.But what happens when you have a windshield that is dameaged so bad that you can not attach the ezwireout unit???with no long knife or extractor or coldknife what are you going to do???

I can see the oldier techs getting screened out from perhaps they can not pass the safetech certifications test.they have more hands on experience and not text book knowledge.I was told once that this is a young mans game.....

UNIONIZE

how do u think the old ags guys feel. thats what we were known 4, was quality. now look at us we're running around like chickens with our heads cut off. i have never seen a company run so back*sswards. now there big thing is lets basicly wash there car for them along with the 8 replacements that r about 45 min. away from each other. who ever thought of this idea has never been an installer before. i believe in quality, but u cant do quality when u have blurred, chipped, or scratched glass, and u r rushed because the call center promises 6 out of ur 8 jobs that some one will be there in the A.M. and yet everybody that i talked to has complained about it and upper management does not seem 2 care cause nothing gets done about it

The truth is that they dont care, because im sure their studies have shown that if you clean all windows they are 14% more likely to recommend you. If you vacuum floors, 12% more likely. If they get an email with the tech's photo, they're 81% more comfortable with the tech that comes out. It's a corporation, so everything is inpersonal. They don't know who the good techs are, because a good guy who does the Land Rovers, BMWs Benzes, Subaru door glasses, and poorly fitting windows has a 4% warranty rate and joe shmo goes does strictly rental fleet with premium glass and has a .02% warranty rate. All they see are numbers and thats all they care about.
If you work at an independent, they usually know who the best guys are and can reward them as such. So if you have such a problem with Safelite, it's probably time to move on. There is greener grass.

Obviously, you all have nailed it right on the head. Question is.: How long do you think Safelite will last? Are they another passing fad, that we just have to ride out?

dont worry people ROOKIES WITH A 2 MONTH TRAINING CLASS WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO COMPLETE 5 AM.S more people will likey choose to go some where else 90 percent will relize there tired of mirror breaks .

Just noticed that they have a new shop here in our market. They went from a one bay, two office building to a six bay three office building. They have signs out advertising for new techs when they alreayd have six full time guys. Nothing like throwing around money.

AGN

Because they have BIg DEEEEP Pockets...They can afford to take the loss.We have to micromanage somewhat....luv to expand our service area and bring on more people.We can not see doing that without getting another physical location outside our normal service area....hardest thing to find is qualified people...No matter what the money is

The Tech,
i dont think you work for safelite.
at least your comments say you dont... you are so off base if you do work for them please leave. Your attitude sucks your work ethic sucks worse.
The problem with Belron is you not the company.
If you dont like working for the largest auto glass retailer on the planet please work for someone else

happy with it
The Tech,
at least your comments say you dont... you are so off base if you do work for them please leave. Your attitude sucks your work ethic sucks worse.
If you dont like working for the largest auto glass retailer on the planet please work for someone else

Lets see how happy you are 15-20 years from now if you last that long. Big Company motto "use them, abuse them & loose them"

They are getting rid of all the good techs, because the big focus now is GUARANTEED AVG INVOICE!! All they care about is getting the repair ratio higher and higher because they are getting an insane reimbursement for their repairs. Why does everyone ignore the GAI? Last post I made about this was deleted. Why do you think they are spending so much money advertising for repairs? Do you see any advertisments for replacements? NO!

happy with it
The Tech,

spoken like a true rookie

saflite repair safelite replace. these ads are back in the south east the last time they ran are repair ratio went way up.I like when the guy goes to pay eric waive's him off it must be another goverment entitlement.

Customer
happy with it
The Tech,

True belron don't a problem it's the people that work there if your not happy move on and quit crying on this forum.THIS IS NOT A CRYING FORUM every other post is about big b and there techs crying move on the grass is greener it took me three years to find another tech. MOVE ON BRO!!!

hey biz man it's my party and i'll cry if I want to.

pro star
hey biz man it's my party and i'll cry if I want to.
Cry on cause it's a belron party!!

not in this market bud.

I do recall the company having a survey that was supposed to be confidential. Which my immediate manager actually got to see the results. No names of course but still got them non the less. But anyway Im not sure who all complained about the call centers giving time frames to customers who didnt really need them. I know I did because its really hard to get 4 or 5 jobs done by noon, especially when you have to detail the customers cars and drive 30 to 40 min in between jobs. If a customer needs done by a certain time then thats fine but the only change Ive seen come from this is they seem to have made it worse. I know that I could care less if the glass guy cleaned my windows if I was told he would be there by 12 and didnt get there until 1 or 2. I dont mind working until I get done but I can only do so much before noon. I cant wait for my tps and nps to really start suffering because I cant get there in time and the customers start getting pi**ed.

TPS=toliet paper service ??and NPS=new people suckers for customers???...lol................

The problem is that customers are given the choice. Requesting an early time is fine, but making a customer decide if they want early or late is plain dumb. Who wouldn't want to get it done early? So what you have is installers rushing jobs, possibly speeding, and forgetting steps during installs because they're pressed for time.But if your caught skipping a step, your terminated. The Safelite simple solution- call dispatch. Good luck, what they do is tell you to call the customers and see if later is ok, after they've already been promised early. So as everything always does at that zoo, it all comes back to the installers, and that WILL NEVER CHANGE. If you have the oportunity to leave Safelite, jump on it, because it really has become a bad place to work, ever since aquiring D/T, and killing installers' leverage.

BIZ MAN
Customer
happy with it
The Tech,

True belron don't a problem it's the people that work there if your not happy move on and quit crying on this forum.THIS IS NOT A CRYING FORUM every other post is about big b and there techs crying move on the grass is greener it took me three years to find another tech. MOVE ON BRO!!!

Huh?

I do recall the company having a survey that was supposed to be confidential. Which my immediate manager actually got to see the results. No names of course but still got them non the less. But anyway Im not sure who all complained about the call centers giving time frames to customers who didnt really need them. I know I did because its really hard to get 4 or 5 jobs done by noon, especially when you have to detail the customers cars and drive 30 to 40 min in between jobs. If a customer needs done by a certain time then thats fine but the only change Ive seen come from this is they seem to have made it worse. I know that I could care less if the glass guy cleaned my windows if I was told he would be there by 12 and didnt get there until 1 or 2. I dont mind working until I get done but I can only do so much before noon. I cant wait for my tps and nps to really start suffering because I cant get there in time and the customers start getting pi**ed.

and the thing is, is that most of the customers are fine with any time frame if you call them ahead of time..its like the call center tells them the time we will be there and they have no freakin clue where the hell we are anyway. there was a point in time when i was really enjoying my job at Safelite but since Belron bought it, i think its getting worse but only to an extent. Our biggest problem is our new DM out of KY. its like he's trying to control everything and not letting our own store manager do his job. i would do anything to have our old DM back. Our store was running great and we handled everything that came our way until now.

lol.......most Dm and Gm are from Sears,western auto,DHL,Jiffylube,firestone and dont have a clue about anything.....Most of all the experienced Gm and Dm are all gone that have glass experience and that took care of their people...These are also the one's that have been promoted within the ranks from being a auto glass tech.....

Forget the survey, is all BS. Most of the tech's I spoke to either did'nt do it or lie'd. The manager's no longer have a say on what happen's in their shop's cause Safelite does'nt really care about what they have to say, they won't be around to much longer. Think about it. The GM'S and DM's care only about their BONUS. I was a manager for Safelite and every manager's meeting I went to started off with the GM telling us " I want my BONUS" The BONUS just came out ask them what they got. The GM's I spoke to say they got 20k to 40k and more. What did the store managers get 1k to 3k and that is a shame. The store manager's deserve more then that, working 60 to 65 hours a week and the DM's working 40 or less. Safelite used to be a great place to work but talking to the tech's and manager's it has really gone down hill, when I was "down sized" it was bad, but now it sounds like a nightmare. Safelite/belron will be around for about 10 years and when the American people get tired of their tactic's they will sell and go back to Europe. With alot of American dollars.

xs
lol.......most Dm and Gm are from Sears,western auto,DHL,Jiffylube,firestone and dont have a clue about anything.....Most of all the experienced Gm and Dm are all gone that have glass experience and that took care of their people...These are also the one's that have been promoted within the ranks from being a auto glass tech.....

by my math, 10 of 11 div managers have 10+ years in the glass business. 6 of 11 have 25 years or more. of those 6 ALL promoted up through the ranks; in either independent companies or Safelite.

Of the GM's that report to me, all have at least 10 years, all promoted up and 30% have 25+ years as either employees or owners of GLASS SHOPS.

Once again, your rather unnatural fixation is rooted in half truths. Keep talking though - the same 6 people that change names every other day will cheer you on.

umm
xs

by my math, 10 of 11 div managers have 10+ years in the glass business. 6 of 11 have 25 years or more. of those 6 ALL promoted up through the ranks; in either independent companies or Safelite.

Of the GM's that report to me, all have at least 10 years, all promoted up and 30% have 25+ years as either employees or owners of GLASS SHOPS.

Once again, your rather unnatural fixation is rooted in half truths. Keep talking though - the same 6 people that change names every other day will cheer you on.

well by my math. our DM has only been with us for 4 years and admits he knows nothing about glass,only customer service. So xs, you are right on where GM's and DM's are from

umm
xs

Math by your world 1+1=5.11 division managers???I dont recall that many???name the regions off???

And glass experience doesnt mean wiping glass with a newspaper...now lets try this again...if you dare that is...maybe you are the one that changes their call sign to cheer your ownself on..

You are the "expert" on all things Safelite... You mean they changed the structure and you didn't Know?...your "sources" didn't give you the 411? Can't be....

I think "dare" is a bit grandiose, don't you?

I really have no reason to tell you anything. I just occasionally like to point out when you are full of crap.

Your hobby is talking about your former employer like you are still there every time someone brings them up...you really ought to see someone to help you get over that.

umm
You are the "expert" on all things Safelite... You mean they changed the structure and you didn't Know?...your "sources" didn't give you the 411? Can't be....

I think "dare" is a bit grandiose, don't you?

I really have no reason to tell you anything. I just occasionally like to point out when you are full of crap.

Your hobby is talking about your former employer like you are still there every time someone brings them up...you really ought to see someone to help you get over that.

Because you don't have anything to tell.Go blow your smoke elsewhere.Try telling the truth once in awhile instead of spreading your propaganda.Last time zi checked this was a free foruem.I respond to what I want to.I respond to plenty of topics besides the S.Helpful one's in fact.Do you or is umm your IQ ???.....

And another Belboy Crys!!!!!!!!...lol lol Grow up Belboys...

Old Dude...
I caught that list you posted before it was deleted...That was a fast censorship...lol....5 out of 11 on that list I recognized.Higgins used to be the RVP up here by us...Had a nice little piece cut of S.Cal customized for him...Guess the AX fell for him also...We used to tease him about his height..So short that he could walk under the vans and change the oil..........

It shows the professionalism of Safelite uppers to get on here and engage in *issing matches.

Rainman
It shows the professionalism of Safelite uppers to get on here and engage in *issing matches.

not sure what you would call a *issing match. Every now and then, the typical anti-S BS gets a bit thick. I don't think it is unreasonable to call an outright lie what it is. If the situation was reversed and someone was telling lies about xs's credentials, I'm sure he would use his mastery of the english language to call it out.

Call it out??outright lies??"You want the truth?,You deserve the truth?,YOU COULNT HANDLE THE TRUTH,YOUR JUST NOT CAPABLE OF TELLING THE TRUTH.."...lol.....

xs
Old Dude...
I caught that list you posted before it was deleted...That was a fast censorship...lol....5 out of 11 on that list I recognized.Higgins used to be the RVP up here by us...Had a nice little piece cut of S.Cal customized for him...Guess the AX fell for him also...We used to tease him about his height..So short that he could walk under the vans and change the oil..........

XS: I was only posting the organnzation chart...(ok with a few commentary remarks) The delete of the post continues to support the theory of some; this forum board is another Belsafe marketing product using the old theory "no press is bad press" and if it is truley bad press the webbie will delete it.

So I'll try my post again to help other independent shops, in not just understand Belsafe as a competing company, but to supply the names of the individuals who "manage" the markets the independent owners compete in.

I will continue to challenge Mr. UMM as to the accuracy of my list since he always seems to challenge the accuracy of information that others who attempt to post Belsafe information.

J. Nap*li (on leave-currently replaced by S.Ste*nmetz)
D. Loy*l
P. Jergens*n
S. Gassi*t
B. C*rr
R. Dunc*n
M. Jalb*ert
D. Le*ch
N. Ts*lis
B. Edw*rds
New Guy In S.Cali (took R. Higgi*ns place)
(Please note there are two DLs)

DMs report to G. B*ck
G. B*ck reports to R. Harris*n
R. Harris*n reports to T. Feen*y

OK Mr. UMM, challenge the accuracy of this organization chart

xs
Old Dude...

XS: Ronnie is a nice guy, fair and trustworthy. The "carve out" in S. Cali was done by the CEO at the time, living up to a handshake deal made to Ronnie years prior...to move him back home if there was a reorg that would have a negative impact on Ronnie. When the RVP positions were elimated (triggering a negative inpact - elimination of the RVP position) the former CEO gave Ronnie the opportunity to be DM in S. Cali, hence living up to their handshake deal to move Ronnie home (again, if there was a reorg or negative impact to Ronnie). In those days you could trust the CEO to make a handshake deal.

In the end the current regime did to Ronnie as they did/do to most of the "good guys".

Mr. UMM: again, a challange to dispute the accuracy of this post.

Mr Webbie: Please do not delete this post because this information is accurate. This post is no different than the posts regarding the history of urethane litigation in ejections lawsuits....this current post is an accurate account of an event that took place in the industry.

I challenged the accuracy of XS's statement regarding experience and origin of the DM group. Do you like being lied about old dude?

I won't comment on your RH stuff. You are entitled to your opinion, right, wrong or somewhere in the middle.

again, I don't really care if you throw the company under the bus; I just think name calling and outright lies about people should be challenged. BTW XS, I'm pretty sure you would gladly trade IQ's or W2's with me lol.

umm
I'm pretty sure you would gladly trade IQ's or W2's with me lol.

This is the kind of trash I would expect from someone who thinks they're somebody at Safelite.
Truth is that 95% of all Safelite employees hate their jobs, and a company is only good as their employees.

Umm

If you would reread my post I said GM and DM not one but both positions.just like you guys to just read what you want and not the entire sentence...

Trade Your W2 for mine???I don't think so Bud.I am very happy on what I have made for myself and wouldn't trade it with anyone if if they made more them me"that's what your implying"As a successful business person we do well.I will leave it at that.I don't need to brag or imply that I make more then another person to make me feel good and put myself on a pedestal.That's like putting a big sweat sock down you pants near your groan area and walking around a female gym..As far as IQ's.A person that again brags about being smarter then another finds themselves being the opposite.Do you really know at what capacity management level I was at safelite???No you don't....Ive got plenty.I'll give you a hint.When I left I was given severance package and stayed out the game for 24 months.....due to a non compete...Am I am very well college educated and have been trained by the Big S...You guys never read the good that I posted about my previous employer.Maybe you should read all that I post instead of what you want to pick out.The old glassboard Glem M and I had a few exchanges of opinions and at the end we agreed to disagree on several things.And other things I credited safelite for doing.So Please.I know your position well,why ???Because I probably have already done it...Enjoy Saturday.get out the office and breath some of this great weather.Its like 75 degree's and sunny.

And Ronnie was a good guy.probably one of the best straight shooters Ive seen at the company.He is the only one that came from the ground up as a floor sweeper in a shop.I guess so much for the hand shake deal's....Hated to hear what happened to him....

xs

Looks like umm just got his words shoved back in his mouth.Whats your Iq again?.Looks like all that money that you make on your W2 doesn't stop you from eating your own words from lack of reading the whole story.

I read the whole story. The part you quoted is incorrect. I stated that. The IQ comment was a response to the shot xs took (as usual). RH is still with the company btw. The line about "the guys that worked their way up" being gone is an outright lie.

Do you really think it is revolutionary that you can post an org chart or talk in pieces about a strategy that you know from a decade ago, or heard about? Is that going to help you sell more windshields?

It really doesn't matter. Post away. Half truths..no truths...whatever. It makes literally no difference to anyone anyway....and before you do the "why are you posting"...I do it for entertainment. The company could give a crap about what is posted here..despite the comments to the contrary I have read here.

I think it is funny that you can dismiss the talent of a company enmasse. Good luck with that strategy.

If you don't like where you work, fix it or move on if you can't or won't. I don't care if you work for B or Joe Mobile. Quit whining and work to fix the problems or just leave. It is absolutely asinine to whine on here about where you work.

There are 8K people that work for S. Despite the sentiment here...the VAST majority of them are glad to be there and work to make it better each day.

they work there because there is no other place to work right now.Thats why safelite has a agreement with Arrow,glassmaster,coast to coast not to hire ex safelite people until the non compete expires.Dont fool urself umm

exbelron
they work there because there is no other place to work right now.Thats why safelite has a agreement with Arrow,glassmaster,coast to coast not to hire ex safelite people until the non compete expires.Dont fool urself umm
That's Hard to believe read the post E. TENN.????. And I know three places looking!!!.lol

exbelron

Coast to Coast is hiring Techs for all locations in: Florida, South Carolina, New York and Mass.

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com