AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Safelite Certification Process

So I heard the SGC techs had to go thru their little testing this week. Wonder how many passed the test?
What happens if you don't pass the test?!

Re: Safelite Certification Process

If you pass they load you with 7 w/s to do.
If you fail miserably they load you up with 6 w/s to do.

You have to work in a call center.

You know if you spent more time on your own business rather then Safelite's you may not have to worry about the big monster (Safelite). But if you really need to know then I will tell you.

If they pass, then they move on to be successful individuals.
If they fail, they get a second chance to pass.
If they fail again, then they will work with you.

WOW...That was quick.... Sorry bout that I thought it was cute!!!!

Correction it'z 3 times the get try.the 2nd and 3rd time there pay get'z dropped down to trainee status.If you came in as a trainee then your finished as a technician.they mite offer you repair medic position but you must pass that also....

Based on the workmanship I have seen,,, "it's so simple even a caveman could do it". But really, dishwashers, car washers, bus boys, anyone strong with little or no brains, should be able to pass their standards. tests based on ability to hack, slop, drop, and run, short or close cut, no priming required, reuse mldgs, and ability to do it over and over as fast as humanly possible. That should about sum it up!

oh and BS, PERFECT HANDLE!

Yea, an I herd from my sisters uncles cousins brother that they get the drug testing thing done at the same darn time cause they use them yellow fluids to check for leaks!!!!! Now I don't care who ya are Thats Funny!

2 out of 10 techs that come out of there training classes are good the rest are abunch of clowns that just want a paycheck. and i work for safelite over 20yrs.

The test is very in-depth and product specific. I doubt any of you could come close to passing. You get three tries, then are terminated if you fail the third.

BS you are right on, these clowns need to focus on their own affairs. It would be time well spent.

Larry the Cable guy-you are an idiot

Blah, blah, blah, Is it an olympic event? , Maybe you can BS your way to completion. Do you get time served? Can anyone tell me a piece of paper or a gold star stuck to your forehead will make anything of you. Yeah, only if you are young and that's all the experience you have to draw from. No offense, some of you hot-shots will make it, regardless of your country of origin or age. Wisdom, Respect, Perfection...
You know my pops told me anyone who could get a meatball to stick together thinks they're the chef,... Is that all you got? We need more... And when you figure it out, and are not a tadpole anymore, grow legs , crawl out of the puddle,and work for yourself or work with like-minded people.Respect America.

I believe the certification process required that you know products from both Sika and Essex, proper cut out procedures, proper prep procedures, safety, paperwork, even driving. Now, once someone passes the exam, that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll follow all those procedures on the road, but they are aware of them. There are some techs out there that will continue to do the same old hack work regardless of test or training. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

Best question is where are you allowed to smoke ????multiple choice,
a customer waiting area
b warehouse area
c lobby of store
d van

That's why you should be paid more.

howie,

I am so glad you have that attitude. please keep it. Maybe a "gold star" one ones forehead means nothing to you. Good. A "gold star" means everything to the insurance companys. And me. every job I can take from you, I will

The insurance industry likes to tell insureds that the tech they are sending out (and company) has been certified, drug tested and has a 7 year criminal background check.

can you provide the insurance companys the same??

You and Pedro and his donkey slam away. Just shows both of you uninformed and ignorant.

I would challenge you to take the test.

the results would be pathetic.

Do all techs that pass follow the rules?-doubt it, but do they have the knowledge to do it right?-you bet

The Safelite shop I manage has some of the best-ethical-by-the-book employees I have had the pleasure to work with. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Safelite has some real, decent human beings that give a f*** about their work and their customers.

your pops was right-you should have listened.

Can I get you a glass of milk and chocolate-chipped cookie?

Maybe I can get you the same while I am doing jobs and you are sitting on you a** waiting for a job

Is that all you got kid? How old are you? I love you man.

howie-is that all you got??

I got it all baby, But a sweet spot for guys like you.

Im 103 been in the biz for --years

Got me beat, maybe you could teach me a thing or two. Or we could work together ...

OK I'll tell you=34 years in the biz. no BS

You the man, love your conviction, not like you need me to nod to you, but you have my respect and I hope that means something. I am no-one ,but I treat every car with the utmost respect.

Now get some sleep, you might have a big day tomorrow.

I have to agree with !. Most of the techs at the shop I work out of really try to do really good work. Overall, they're doing better quality work than many of the shops in our area. I've even noticed an increase in the quality of the parts we're getting. The US built parts have a much better finish than previously available and I'd rather have a DOT65 than any DOT563 (regardless of PPG, Pilk, or XYG bug). Is there room for improvement? Yes. From a tech standpoint, scheduling and routing could use a little tweaking, but I feel that's fairly normal with many larger shops where the people that route and schedule don't necessarily understand the complexities of the job that the techs do. For instance, if I'm doing a w/s on a 90 'Vette, I need a little more time to do a proper install than on a 2000 Corolla. Just my .02

Of course, you have too agree w/!. Be-grudgingly I have to agree with you . It is not all the same..., far from it.

Well that'z a good point about more time to do certain car'z captain..But how do you feel about a rookie that just been safetech certified and upped to technicain status and doing all the toyota corolla'z and honda civic'z and yur stuck doing all the Mercedes,jaguar'z,Range Rover'z,Heavy truck'z,Audi convertible'z and all the time consuming job'z and they make just as much as you do on PPP..Doe'z that seem fair????he can walk out making more then you doing easier job'z......Something doezn't seem rite to me....And when you hand them a harder job...Thier excuse is I dont know how to do one of those....lol..............Give it to the oldier guy and make him do it...........GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrr

I really don't have a problem with the new guys doing the pie jobs. It's a part of the learning process. Let them take the easy ones and gradually work up to things like Mercedes. Also, they're not being thrown into the fire by giving them 6 jobs a day. We just had a couple of new techs that just hit the road and they're only getting about 3 jobs a day until they get comfortable being on their own. They also can call any of us more experienced guys if they need any advise or help. I told them not to worry about getting the job done fast, concentrate on their technique and quality. As for the ppp thing, I've never cared about ppp. To me, it's more important to do quality work and not sweat the quantity aspect of the job.

so when there able to do 6 easy jobz then they can take on a harder one to improve thier skillz,correct???I can see doing 3 easy one'z and take whole day in thier situation rite now...And PPP was easy for me when I was there as a technician..I was in a metro AA market....$$$$$$$$..Many oldier skilled technicians have a problem with the younger boyz doing more easier jobz and the skilled guyz doing less of the harder jobz was a problem in my market when I was management............

I just think they should be allowed to gradually build their skills. They've gone through the schools, spent time in shop and are now getting on the road. Let them build their confidence then move them into more challenging aspects of the job.

But some of them don't want to learn to do the harder job'z..They want GRAVY all the time....

Take the rookies with you and teach them all the jobs. OH YEA, I forgot they don't charge enough to do the job right the first time. This business is insane!

Did someone mention 7yr criminal background check?

I think 5 1/2 is sufficiant

As much as we may dislike the largest AGRR company, they do perform: criminal background checks, annual DMV's, and hiring drug screens (although it appears they may provide D/T associates an exception...which is interesting in-and-of itself).

They also require all of their installation and repair technicians to be certified via their internal certification process. We can argue the merits of their internal certification (and indeed they invite scrutiny by fearing third-party audits of AGRSS), however, until the rest of the industry catches up....we ought not to be so quick to criticize.

For our industry, AGRSS certification and third party audits is a good first step. We should also follow the lead of our nemisis and perform background checks, DMV's, and drug screens.

Good selling,
Buckeye-for-Life

I feel the certification, whether internal as in the case of Safelite's Safetech program, or external as in AGRSS, is a step in the right direction. Just like any industry, certification simply means they know the correct procedure. It doesn't mean they'll actually follow it. There really does need to be a good enforcement procedure in place for it to really work. Proper and thorough training (for all shop personel) is essential to quality work as is making sure that the end consumer (insurance companies and the general public) is educated. JMO

Looks like ! man had a few drinks last nite and is pondering over his years of working for Safelite and trying to justfy why he's still there..

Im sorry to say this but there was a few guy'z that I had to let go for failing the drug test during routine accident drug testing when I was mamagement as Safelite ..Mostly from pot.and where did they end up????You know...lol........

jail?

NO,DT...lol............................

Until the US requires a license you have nothing in my opinion... Safelite cert. or IGA doesnt mean a thing. It is time to license techs and only give the test in English

Hey Amigo,

Good luck with that. Me and mi Compadres will be here long after you, Senor Belron and the TPAs have long gone. Why? Because unlike you, we don't need insurers, Senor Belron, other TPAs, store fronts or credit. And our business is growing. How's yours doing?

I will remind you of this as I am relaxing on my hacienda next year back in my home country.

What a great country!!!

Tortillas and frijoles for everyone!!!!

DT has a lot of techs that are druggies. It'll be interesting to see how many of them Belron keeps on in the end.

AGN

Hell how can any business fail when the networks feeding them all the work ? I dont see where drug testing helps a hoot how many drunks do they employ ?

Just because booze is legal does not mean theflake coming to the door is going to be any better than john Q pothead . Give us a break .

When the dope heads injury themeselves or worse causes injury to a insured.Then what happen'z????All it takes is that one network job to go wrong and then all crap will break loose...So drug testing is good,and for drunks that come to work well,that'z up to thier manager'z and show owner'z to repremand...

A certain large client of theirs (the one that insures our men & women in uniform) requires their vendors to perform drug testing.

It will be interesting to see how S*lite will avoid screening the new DT associates. Are they seriously going to wait until one of them has an on-the-job accident before performing "periodic" drug screens? I doubt that will make USA_ feel very good?

Not to mention criminal background checks! I just don't see how S*Lite will get around USA_'s drug screening and criminal background requirements for the new DT folks? The new CEO was vague in a recent interview...classic double-speak. I wonder how this will all play out?

They'll probably grandfather them in somehow.

What I'm curious about is what are they going to do with the dt tech's that come and buy parts for their side jobs? I've seen guys buying parts but not for the shop they're working for.

There ain't no grandfather them in the safetech certification.It'z a must pass in 3 tries and then it'z adios amigo....When I worked at DT as a DM it was a unwritten courtesy to sell the tech'z glass for side work as long as you didn't abuse it...We was told to turn the other way for a guy that had a high Parts Installed rate when on company time...I think at service now you can't even get glass under yur employee discount without the Division manager being aware of it..Unless you know the service auto glass dispatcher and then you get hooked up like Ive seen...

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com