AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is NGA National or International?

With the latest news of Belron gobbling up yet another American company, is NGA really the "National" Glass Association and truly representing the "National" glass companies or is it really "International" thus sanctioning taking American dollars off-shore?

The following is an excerpt from the NGA by-laws.

"2.4 Additional Regular Member Locations
As a part of its membership in the Association, a Regular member company must submit a complete list of all additional company-owned locations, which automatically become a non-optional part of the company's membership. An additional location is defined as any company location, office, plant, etc., operating under the same corporate parent in North American and doing business in the glass industry. Such locations must be owned by the same member company. Individual company sales representatives and franchise locations are not considered additional locations."

My question to all the American owned independents out there, is "What is NGA doing for the "American" glass shops?" What happens to NGA if all of us American owned companies decide to pull away from the International organization better known as NGA?

Another section of the by-laws states:

"SECTION 7. SUSPENSION OR EXPULSION

Any member may be suspended for a period, or expelled for conduct seriously prejudicial to the best interests of the Association, for violation of the Bylaws or rules of the Association, or for breach of any of the provisions and conditions contained in the application upon which membership was granted. For any of these reasons, not including removal from the membership list for failure to pay dues in a timely fashion, any member may be suspended or expelled by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors. Any members so proposed for expulsion shall be given advance written notice, including the reason for the proposed expulsion, an opportunity to contest the proposed expulsion in writing or in person before the Board of Directors, and a final written notice of the Board's decision."

Based on the expulsion by-laws, "for violation of the Bylaws or rules of the Association" any off-shore owned company doing business in the US who is a member of NGA is in direct violation of the by-laws and should be expelled.

Re: Is NGA National or International?

I understand your point Jim.

As Leo Cyr and others have said in the past from the NGA, they do not have the funds to enforce even their own rules.

They won't go after someone using the NGA logo improperly, they won't "audit" NGA certified installers to insure compliance(don't get me wrong at least they test installers, a great start), and I highly doubt they will turn away Belron money just to make sure they are following their own rules.

Just my opinions, which mean nothing of course.

have you tried contacting them on these issues?

So how would Pilkington fit in this scenario? Owned by the Japanese.

It would be a bit hard to kick Belron out of the NGA. Just look who is on the top of their Board of Directors:

http://www.glass.org/members/support1.htm

The chairman is Wes Topping who is the head honcho of Elite Auto Glass in Denver.

GOOD LUCK and Please let us know if you get anywhere with this.

GlassWoman

Then my question is, why is Wes Topping who is the head honcho of Elite Auto Glass in Denver on the board? Elite may have an office in Denver, but Elite is now owned by Belron as well.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com