AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
glass racks

where do you find affordable w/s storage racks? i found some at cr laurence but they are like $1200.

Re: glass racks

What kind of racks are you looking for?

I found some mobile racks on EBAY for a really good price. They aren't the best thing in the world, but they saved some money and they get the job done.

They are meant to go in the back of a van or truck, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them as floor storage as well.

I have always built my own.

Good straight 4 x 4's. STRAIGHT Closet rods. Spade bit. A good 1/2 electric drill. Elmer's wood glue. Elbow grease. Some free time. All decent low cost execpt mabey the drill.

Take your time, line them up/lay them out right, and drill the holes STRAIGHT. I suggest a jig.

Bolt to the wall correctly so you don't have a crash. Block walls are cake, steel walls, find the red iron, stick built walls add some cross-bears to spread the load across more studs. Most weight will be on the floor, but be safe and think about what you are screwing/bolting into.

Lasts for years and years. I still use some I built back in the 70s. The rods on those are too short for many of today's WS though.

if you want free standing racks, I'd have to htink about it for a inexpensive design, but I never figured out why someone wants to move around racks of WS. (except for order carts)

BQA I got this awsome rack place email me tommorow and i will find out if there is a phone # on it, they hardley speak english i met them at an IGA show and at a NGA show i have 3 of there racks there REALLY nice quality and like $500 + i think it was $100 shipping , it is like a 30 lite rack...

bqa -
I have some weather racks and uprights for multiple numbers, if you stock many of the same numbers. Email me if you have any interest.

Ron

Mark 2,

I am needing to build a rack or possibly two for my storage shed and nighttime deliveries.

What size closet rods do you find to be best and abount how far apart should one space them?

I was thinking about two inches apart and a 1/2" rod. Sound about right?

I'm thinking they are either standard 1 1/4 or 1 3/16 closet rod. Just get straight ones. Be picky. If you don't pick straight lumber and drill straight holes and line them up equal, you won't get good racks, htey'll be crooked and your glass will rock on the pegs like a teeter-totter.

I either go 10 or 12 foot high 4 x 4s, space them as you see fit abut 3 ft apart. 6 inches apart on center with the rods is the most, 4 the least. Sometimes curved ws will let you space them closer sometimes not.

Slip an old wrap-around ws in there at it will take up four slots mixed with todays flatter stuff. lol

10 footers spaced at 4 should get you 25, or 12 footers spaced at 6 will get you 25 if I remember right. You can put your moldings and clip kits right on top of the glass they're for too.

no padding on rods needed, just pick up the shields slightly when sliding htem on and off the racks to avoid scratches on inside of ws. If you ever get a splinter or gouge from a sharp piece of glass, sand rod smooth again quickly.

If you are going to be somewhere damp or humid, think about a fast coat of quick dry urethane to help seal the wood to not warp. (NO not the kind you are sticking glass in with but it would be fun to watch you try)

Yeah. That would be fun!

I know you mean polyurethane. My wifes grandfather has a wood working shop...he buys that stuff by the case load.

I'm actually thinking mine will be floor racks as I don't have a lot of wall space.

BQA i had no luck on finding the #, however mabey deb levy might know who it is, if AGRR mag was running the show back then perhaps they have records, it was like xynuge something ... they were at the show in Ohio...

I've got some that can be mounted to a wall, used in a vehicle or used as floor storage. I think a 10 pocket set was $80 or so. They are aluminum with padding. They work pretty good for me and I thought that was a good price. I think you can get them cheaper, the more you buy. Just go to www.collisionservices.com and search for glass rack.

You can get the same glass rack from northern tool also.

I am wanting a stand up like 30 lite rack..

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com