AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1448 / 1610

Will DW 1447 and DW 1610 interchange?

I know one is a "soundmaster" acoustic and the other apparently isn't.

Re: 1448 / 1610

These are the same size. So they will fit all of the vehicles of the same series.

cosmetically and fit wise they are the same. Just make sure to tell the customer the difference. I told two of my customers, and they couldn't have cared less. I put the 1448 in because my dist is over 3 hours away and couldn't get a 1610 till the next day.

I knew they were the same size and would fit, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some minor detail I had overlooked. The 1610s are like 3X more then the 1447s. Thanks for the input guys.

Put in a bad speaker, to replace the good speaker, then bill 'em for the good speaker. That speaks for itself.

The only problem for me with Pilkington is that their 1610 is made in Mexically MX and still has the high net price. Pilkington has solved the distorton problem but the price is just plan silly.

Astute Businessman has just defined both Fraud, and Insurance Fraud, punishable by both fines and jail time in most states.

I wouldn't do something like that on an insurance job. I don't even do a lot (if any) insurance work so thats not really an issue.

It was really just a hypethetical question. I have a few customers who always want the cheapest price they can find so I was simply asking for when the occasion arises.

If you disclose to the car owner what you are interchanging, and obtain their consent, and it is allowable in that the interchange you are choosing was an option for the car or an interchange UP from an older number, then it's fine, even if it is more expensive, but you'll be billing for the part that you INSTALLED.

The problem in Astute Businessman's statement is installing "a" less expensive part, charging/billing for a different and more expensive part, not informing the buyer, and pocketing the difference.

That's what will get you in hot water, and rightfully so.

Frankly, I believe your paperwork should always reflect EXACTLY what work was done to the car. Charge for what you do, and DO what you charge for.

I can't disagree with that statement Mark1. When I worked @ Diamond I know that was one of the reasons the feds were investigating them. I have no need for feds investigating me...not for $100 (or possibly less) difference in an insurance bill.

My understanding of these "acoustic" parts is that the FORD vehicles actually use a different type of glass plate in the windshield, and the GM part uses a thicker lamination(.045 vs .030?) to achieve the "acoustic" properties.

The thicker lamination. is partly why the GM parts have had the nasty distortion problems. So technically in the GM cars (Buick Ranier,etc.) the acoustic is in fact a different part (despite the hole size) than the non-acoustic part.

When comparing the FORD acoustic vs. non-acoustic you may notice the acoustic seems considerably heavier due to the "acoustic" glass. I am not sure if that has much to do with the vehicle integrity, but they do seem much heavier.

I need to check this out further, but this is what I have been told. Anyone else have details? Has anyone measured the profiles of non-acoustic vs. acoustic to see if one is indeed thicker?

Watch out guys, we installed a windshield in an older maxima that was a gbn instead of a zbn per customer and he signed the waver stating that is was different than what came in it and he was more concerned about the cost and time frame it would be 2 more days and $35.00 at the time, and was a dfferent color, and his wife took us to small claims court and won, the **** judge said we were the proffesionals and should know better, her husband wasnt the only person on the registration

Astute, here is an odd concept honesty and integrety and I sleep well at night this could be the cause of being in bussiness since 1981 and have repeat customers

I've run into several older models where the ZBN was no longer available and I had to put in the GBN. Always told the customer what the deal was and most of the time they never cared one way or the other. If my memory serves me correct it was the old FW519/520 Honda Accords that this problem was the most common on.

I think that someone posting as "Astute Businessman" and encouraging whta is illegal behavior should catch the webmasters attention.

Why would someone post(s) like that? To discredit the entire board and make us all look bad? What other reason?

Rest assured, I am sure the Webmaster is already checking the "asstute businessmans" IP Address.
We have seen these guys come and go. Mostly going since attitudes like that just don't last around this many people that are working hard to do the right thing. Just the same as the insurance companies catching up to him sooner or later and filing their fraud case.

Hey,

I own a trail blazer and i put the cheap one in cause the 1610 had a bad distortion and i can tell the difference..

I like how somone said to bill the 1610 HEY STUPID its almost the same list price.. woopty i made 8 more cents...

GET A LIFE.. this is why i am staying out of here..

If they have a 1610 it does say accoustical on the window..

and most of them are distorted

Also AGN i know were buds, but I absolutley dis agree with the statement about diamond, i worked for them, I know they were very nutty, but i NEVER down changed a glass, in other words mabey a 1317 in a 1255 hole or a 1292 in a 1175 hole, but never a 1205 in a 1317 hole.. not sure how they ran that down in your neck of the woods but in STL they were straight up..

Larry

Everything @ the Diamond shop I worked at was fairly straight forward as well. I'm still buds with most of them. We only interchanged when it was valid or if there was no other choice. Like you said...1317 for a 1255 type of stuff.

I was working there during the investigation and what we were told was that one of the reasons they got nailed was because of interchanges on insurance paperwork. It was all home office stuff. We had to start reschudling jobs when we didn't have the correct part number...even if it was a 799 we couldn't interchange it to a 2011...we had to use the 2443s because they were the "valid" interchange.

Wasn't ditching Diamond...just passing on facts.

We have done four Guardian Acoustics and have not had a distortion yet.

What brand were you seeing the distortion in Larry?

So I can avoid them in the future.....

guardian, it was factory, so i swapped it..

Also i just noticed today the mygrant is selling a FYG 1610 gbn going to do it tommorow will let you know how it looks etc..

How will FYG duplicate the patented acoustic interlayer?

Why isn't that any different than NAGS giving the AM glass that couldn't duplicate PPG's proprietary interlayer/solar coat a different number, or different from them giving a different number to the Ford's tha have a proprietary logo in them?

Enquiring minds want to know......

I dont know fit was perfect look was identical to what they pulled out.

It was for a cash customer i told him to tell me if he experiences any difference for $60 cheaper i;ll take it

Now as far as the ford goes your incorrect, its the LOGO that people can't dupe.. it is not the interlayer.

Also as far as the 1293's go PPG had an exclusive on that interlayer, and if you notice now FYG and XYG (junk in my opinion) make a dw1293

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com