AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Do You Remember?

Do you remember when you would have to get in a car and push the roof up to put in a gasket, because people sat on there roofs at the drive in movies :) I guess I am, showin my age :)

Re: Do You Remember?

Do you remember THAT one vehicle brought to the shop because someone P**SED off their girlfriend and she scratched every window in HIS car?

Do you remember trying to find out from the customer if they owned a Hardtop or Sedan?
Well the roof is hard.

Taking off a wiper with a screwdriver rather than a $130.00 snap-on puller. Plews guns & string sealer.

long fine thread bolts on british ws frames that were hard to get to.

What a bunch of old guys! (Me too!)

I remember asking a customer if the car was hardtop or sedan, the answer was, "Yeah, it's a hardtop. It's not a convertable."

Way back when, we had one old lady who would come in once a year to get an estimate on how much it would cost to change out all the clear glass in her old Plymouth Valiant and put in tinted. Kept hoping the price would go down, I guess. Never did have the job done. Imagine that!

407 408 and 409 toyotas.

and the beloved ealry mazda b 2000's like the courier ford pickup

sure dont miss alot of them old rubber jobs like in nissan 510,710 etc . w those thin metal mouldings inserted ..........

Trying to find metal to drill into so you could replace the clips on back glasses that had rust repaired. Drilling holes on any new roof or quarter panel to replace the clips at the body shops. Porta-powers at the body shops to help make the gasket jobs fit. Hearing a body man say "Can you make it work" when the A pillar was obviously an inch off.

Making a dollar an hour + all the glass you could eat.

Do you remember the first (and probably the last time) you tightened a bolt too much on a tempered and.....POP. Then just standing there with a nut in your socket.
....well ya never knew how much torque they'd take till ya popped one:)

Loctite epoxy to glue window channels on. I hate that smell.

I remember the first (and last..so far anyway) time I popped a tempered piece vy tightening it too much! Its was a cargo side door glass on an Econoline!

Wasn't paying attention and POP!!

The Lincoln Town Car vent glasses. You reglued 'em and maybe it worked or maybe not.

Remember when we had great health insurance, and you didnot have to worry about the co-payments on perscription and dr. visits OHHH the good old days when the Ins. companies did not own the world!!!

...When the glass distributors actually gave you a tin of cookies or chocoaltes or something for Christmas before they all got stretched so thin that thay cant afford to replace the paper cups in the water cooler?

My distributor gave me a tin of cookies this year! My wife and daughter are still eating on them.

REMEMBER WHEN THE OLD ORIGINAL SAFELITE GLASS COMPANY HAD TWO LEAR JETS, SOLD FACTORY SECONDS AND HAD A BUNCH OF GOOD PEOPLE.

AGN!!! What the heck are you kidding me!! Tell ODG send me my cookies!!

I remember when PPG sold us glass and we wrote them a check and took our discounts for early payment. Now we have to bill them(Lynx)and wait for our money to pay them back???

Is this business confusing?

I remember when our supliers gave us football tickets,basketball tickets,baseball tickets,indy car tickets, and even paid our way into glass shows.

Now we have to pay them to bring us a piece of glass???

50 two 10's and a 5 was the discount off the NAGS list.
No kit, no labor.
300% profit!

circa early 1970's

I'll tell them to FedEx you a tin of cookies. Around here they had the trucks loaded with 'em delivering 'em to all the glass shops that buy from OD. Might've been something the manager did on her own...she is a really sweet person.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com