AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Grrrrr...

Went in to pick up some glass today and they gave me a letter stating that both PPG and Pilkington are going to be "farming out" 25% of their windshield production to FYG and XYG in China. Grrrrr....

Re: Grrrrr...

Easy answer. Tell them you won't buy it, only the good stuff. Watch the dot #.

Been there, done this. We tell them if we wanted to buy the stuff, we'd buy it direct for less, not pay more for it from PPG or Pilk.

Usuallly gets the point across.

We fit XYG everyday and FYG every other day when our XYG stockist doesn't have the screen we require.

We don't have any choice as Pilkington closed their auto glass factory about four years ago because they couldn't compete once our protection tarrifs came off in our country.

I wasn't in the auto glass industry then, so have nothing to compare XYG and FYG to. However our installers fit it everyday. Only ever had them complain about one model front screen in 3 years.

Is it really that bad ? What model is a problem ?

I am interested how big or small the list is.

Regards John

Ever removed one after it was installed ? the ****t falls apart like a piece of cheap candy . Its not of the same quality that I expect after 20 yrs of being in this "trade" if it can even be called that any longer.

My biggest complaint isn't the brand, but the fact that they are charging the same price for a shield they no longer make. PPG / Pilkington gets the savings while we keep paying the same old prices for a less quality glass. I don't like fitting FYGs, but I can make it work.

Who gave you the letter?

Old Dominion Glass. They are good people. No issues with them...just PPG / Pilkimgton's choice to send there work to China.

could you post the link to the articel they gave you

It was a printed out form letter. No internet link. Just said that PPG and Pilkington had notified Old Dominion that as much as 25% of their windshields would be coming from the XYG and FYG factories in China, but would still be labeled as PPG / Pilkington.

Remember the days when you could order from PPG or Pilk and get a friggin PPG or Pilk manufactured glass? I just ordered a Silverado quarter and Ranger w/s from them and they are both FYG. The quarter is an absolute pile of poo and the Ranger molding is twisted like a pretzel. I brought this issue (Chinese glass) up to them today and the Csr's had no idea what I was talking about. That's what gets me, noone there seems to know what they are selling. I typically have no problem with FYG for fit, it's the price sb less, and bonded/molding parts that never look close to OE, etc., etc., etc.
Thank God Mygrant's website has all manufacturers listed for every part number. I love them.

GUYS, that has to be frustrating. You're saying when you order (online I'm assuming) you have no idea what you're going to receive. You got that right about MYGRANT GlassGod at least their site states the manufacturer of every part# you type in. What you click is what you get. But their Pilk and PPG pricing is in line with their FYG and XYG, on alot of parts so it may not always be the case if they buy Pilk and PPG and enter it as such in their system but what "they've" received is FY or XY.

Just REFUSE to pay the same price. PPG tells insurance companies "you are paying the same price for OEM and generic brands so demand the OEM glass".

So use their line on them. Since you are paying the same price DEMAND the OE brand and DOT#.

Old Dominion has the same thing on their website. For example it says DW1087GBY PPG on their listing. The problem is that it CAN be a chinese FYG with a PPG name bug since PPG is farming out now. I guess its just one of those things we have to live with. OD are really good people and they won't give you a chinese part unless thats all they have. I didn't start this thread to beeyotch about my distributor...just to gripe about so called American manufacturers farming out work to Chinese glass makers.

You are all right about Mygrant as well. We don't have a Mygrant in this area, but I recently had to buy a QG that wasn't available local...Mygrant had it and were awesome to deal with. I'm getting an account with them just to have access to their site for those hard to get local pieces.

Have a great weekend!!

PPG and Pilkington are farming out to DOT 563, which is XYG. The quality is still the same as FYG. Not so good. The prices from PPG and Pilkington is also the same as if they were manufacturing here in the USA or Canada, which still has quality.

It is better than them jacking the price up so we can not even compete.You have to work with what you have.I do not work for them, but They are trying to survive to.The reason They buy that glass is because they are strapped tight and trying to stay competitive also,and make a profit.

TSi I spoke to some of the old timers down here, they think the Chinese glass is just like the genuine or old Pilkington stuff they used to install.

Unless their memories are fading.

I haven't seen a list bad fitting XYG, FYG or CSG for glass without mouldings yet.

Can anyone give me any exmples of foriegn model cars that the Chinese glass is a problem ?

I love FYG, FYG = OEM On fw2064 even has honda logo.. FYG glass is good. Some of there parts with moldings could be better. but there glass is **** disel..

XYG = junk

NZ-Downunder -

It isn't so much that FYG is terrible ALL the time, its the difference between FYG and our USA made brands. If all you've ever fitted is FYG then likely you've never noticed a problem. There is a definite difference between the US brands and the chinese brands. Sometimes FYG set great...other times...not so well. Maybe its a quality control issue with FYG.

You guys kill me PPG has been using XYG and FYG to produce glass for about 2-3 yrs now but they just decided to release the info to the distributors and us.
I have walked through the XYG plant and their manufacturing process puts PPG's to shame,The biggest problems is once you get one piece of XYG or FYG glass then its all bad .We have been through all this before FYG and XYG are OEM on Some models that are made and sold in the USA.

XYG did have alot of bad parts when they first came into the U.S. Market but have fixed most of the problems. Every once in a while you may come across a bad piece but look at the production dates on the labels and most where produced in the early the 90's
before they had the quality control system in stock .
PPG made XYG invest a bunch of money into the manufacturing process before they would even consider the deal.

We install them all PPG, XYG, FYG ,SAFEGAURD and we have not had any problems with XYG or FYG in a few years now.

I think it boils down to PPG wanted its product in the Chinese market and this was the easiest way.

The thing I like most about SGC is how they grind their employees to pulp by sending them to work in the bitter cold or blistering heat with no regard for the person untill the person sees the light and stops accepting being abused and quits.
Then they go onto the next innocent victum.

LOL posted reply in wrong catagory

SGC just hired a new guy in my area. Sad thing is that the guy has no real experience as an installer...he used to work for a local distributor that shut down. They've hired him as their shop manager / shop installer.

I think its interesting of all the complaints about the xyg, and fyg glass, but no one is complaining about the US made DOT #18 glass that doesn't fit in the hole either. Especially the encapsulated parts. I hope you all realize they are farming their local aftermarket glass manufacturing also. It may say #18 on the glass but it sure wasn't made by the same #18 that came OE in the vehicle.

For an example: Q/G for Cavaliers(1269 style), Q/G for new Monte Carlo's(1378 style), D/G for Olds Alero I had to bore out regulator in order to bolt glass to it cause tabs were a: not same as original, b: not in right place, yet the original glass said #18, and the glass I was using said #18.

At least the foreign dot #'s let you know what your dealing with, I get an #18 I expect it to fit the way an #18 is supposed to fit. And oh yeah they still charge me the Net Price for it.

Just my two cents. Have a nice day!

You aren't the only one that noticed that about Dot 18 Glasstek.

I buy their stuff as a last resort only, and I tell the customer if they want it I personally do not believe that it will be the same as what the car came with even if they are both 18.

The DOT number is assigned to the manufacturer. If they have several plants in the U.S. all of the plants use the same DOT number.

There are other numbers or letters in the stencil that indicate the plant that actually made the glass.

Agree that this is no surprise, watch the DOT's, they don't lie.

Never heard that either Chinese mfg'er is OEM on a domestic part.. especially not Honda. Think only PPG and some AP Tech

Have seen Pontiac GTO'S with all FYG glass in them.

Okay... That's just wrong.

PPG is still making some of their own tempered but they are sending it out to have the attachments put on by someone else. This could be some of the problem.

I hear that FYG is about to make OE "factory" installed/supplied windshields to several auto makers on behalf of PPG... Pre-Delivery Inspections and other warranty claims after the fact, should draw attention to the quality control or lack there of, that we've all become use to with FYG.
Apparently, FYG's manufacturing facilities are "state of the art" but it's their moulds that either curve the glass wrong or make it too small or too big.
Wait and see what happens when PPG starts putting their "bug" on the part.

They've been putting their bug on it for sometime now. As far as fit the FYG product is pretty good compared to everyone else.

govols- XYG has been installed in many domestic car models that have been manufactured and sold in the U.S. . Some of the 94-98 Malibus & Impala,04-05 Corvette, 04-05 Malibu & Malibu Maxx & Impala.We have seen this on alot of the chevy cars at some of the dealers in Texas . It was unbelievable to me too at first when my techs told me so I had to see for my self. The dealer told me that only a few of the models had that brand of glass in it to help cut down on production costs of this vehicles.

This is the wave of the future. Pretty soon most glass will likely be made in China. Everyone should invest in FYG/XYG stock. I think its listed on the Hong Kong stock market.

GoVols your wrong,

FYG is OEM on the FW2064GBN I have installed mabey 20 of these in az with the honda logo, they got shipped to my distributor by accident.. was nice to have the honda logo :)

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com