AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sausage Packs vs. Cartridges

I haven't ever used sausage packs before only cartridges. I like the cartridges my only problem is that I don't like the waste that is sometimes associated with them. Theres nothing like throwing away a half tube of urethane!

My question is will sausage packs save me money and are they easy to use or a big pain in the arse?

Re: Sausage Packs vs. Cartridges

Next question...

Are Unipacs and Sausage packs the same?

why do you throw away half tubes?

I don't unless its been too long in between uses. I'm not exactly sure how long Sika's shelf life is after being opened, but I didn't think it was longer then maybe a day.

In most cases I'll carry the half tube with me to the next job and use it.

in the tech manual i couldn't find where it says you can't use it after a day if it has been opened. if i can get it out of the tube and there aren't any chunks or dry spots i use it, never seen any problems, even 3-4 days later. i have used sika for at least 10 years and believe it is the best product for mobile conditions, like you and i. i use ASAP most of the time but i supplement the summer with COOL, love them both.

I use Sika Move-It. I used to use ASAP when I was at Diamond, but when I went to Guardian they were using the Move-It.

I have stuck with the Move-It because it is about $30 a case cheaper and I didn't have to spend the money on an oven.

In the corporate chains it was common to throw away 'thane. Nobody cared. There was more where that came from. Now I'm shifting into business owner mode and trying to control my costs. I'll have to contact the Sika rep and ask him how long the opened tubes shelf life is.

Thanks for the advise...I'll just hang on to the half tubes and see how it comes out.

Dow, EP paks.

Ya, I know everybody whines about the gun.

NO waste. ZERO throw away. (ok except for whats left in the tip) Equal to 4.5 tubes per pak.

if you can set a glass by yourself no problem, the big gun isn't a big deal either.

If you're the boss, the savings of no waste and less time changing sausages or tubes is.

Never heard of an EP packs. Whats it look like?

47 oz. !!!

Good heavens thats a big load to carry around. Can you convert the milwaulkee caulking gun to handle it or do you have to buy another gun?

AGN -

Not that I'm an expert, but the tube is air-tight, as is the tip. As long as no air can get in, it's not going to harden or spoil.

As long as you can gun it ---- use it

Mmmmmmmm, Sika, IT'S WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST!!!

I run Cool....

Or I guess i could say:"Cool runnins Mon"!!!

http://www.sikaindustry.com/ipd-autoglass-agr.htm

To answer your original question - we switched to sausages not too long ago. Many of our techs had problems with manual guns because it required more pressure to get the urethane out. Most have since switched to powered guns and we have since seen a great increase in efficiency in both installation times and urethane waste. In all, we are happy with our move to sausages, but it definitely required a somewhat substantial investment.

Magician,

How do you like the cool? Have you had any problems with it?

I use Move-It right now, but Cool is about $30 a case cheaper...maybe I'll switch.

I use the essex ep 1.4 ltr. Yah the gun is big and heavy but by shouting the glass it's not an issue and not having to stop mid stream to change cartridges is a major plus.
My vote is sausage pack over cartridge.

Sika Cool works great for me. I know everyone has their preference for a certain brand of thane, so, i'll throw my hat in ring for Sika. I've been using Cool for about 2 years now maybe.....My supplier stopped selling SikaTack Drive and hooked me on Cool.
I order the 'super kit' --24 cans w/glass primer and 206 primer sticks for pinchweld scratches.
Neery a sag.. u could run this stuff upside down..
Fast drive away time. (At least down here in Southeast Louisiana) where it's super humid and rarely drops below 50 degrees F for more than 2 days in a row in winter. Then again, our shop doesn't get any cooler than 65F througout the winter. I don't do mobile, i'm in the shop all day, except for my ONE body shop i service.
Wonderful product!! No comebacks (I LEARNED THAT WORD FROM A SAFELITE TECH) I had to ask him what a 'comeback' was!!!! i kid you not!

We were using the big Essex sausage packs and the gun broke in the middle of an install.

We were glad to have a couple cartridges on board to put in the manual gun.

We have since gone back to carts. because if our milwaukee quits at least we can always stick it in a manual gun.

Good point Pinky. Never thought of it that way.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com