AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Just how far we have to go.......

It is 25 degrees, snowing like mad and consumers are calling wanting mobile windshield repairs and replacements.

They don't expect the brake shop, the oil lube shop, or the body shop to come to their work parking lot and perform their services, yet they expect us to come no matter what the conditions.

So why do you think they expect or demand all of us to perform our services in these conditions?

Re: Just how far we have to go.......

Because it's the only business you mentioned that has traditionally offered it and encouraged it. You can't blame the consumer for that. If you believe it should be done differently, explain it to them and if it sounds reasonable, reasonable people will listen.

JAC

I am not blaming any consumer. And you are exactly right.

The auto glass industry has built a consumer that assumes we all do installations and repairs the same, expects that installations are safe in bad weather, and has little understanding just how much their lives depend on the windshields(among other safety devices) in their vehicles.

The point is, we have a long way to go to educate consumers to start thinking "how can they do that replacement safely in my parking lot while it is snowing?", what questions to ask to help insure their safety, what to look for to know if the installation was done properly(post inspection clues), and then demand that they be able to take their vehicles to the service provider THEY select.

As I said, it just goes to show just how far we have to go. But what a fun journey it will be!

I think the auto glass business may have shot itself in the foot when they thought of mobile installation. Its a great idea in the Spring, Summer and Fall, but when Winter comes around it can really suck. I guess its a blessing that its the slow time of year.

P.S. I betcha Safelite is out there gittin' 'er done!!!

Maybe you shouldn't blame the consumer. The TPA's ask the insured if they would like the job done on site, so why shouldn't they go for it?

Of course, quality is one reason, but I am a guy that doesn't think mobil installations are consistantly as good as in-shop installations.

Ira, but the TPA CSR's don't know a safe installation practice from a hole in their tire. They follow a script that icludes asking about mobile vs. in-shop service. We simply refuse to do anything/job in unsafe conditions. They can go elsewhere for that...plenty of large chains here more than willing to provide that.

Well,

I would like to let you know what we do when there is inclimate weather. I have a little POS yugo that i drive to the customers house, pick up there car bring it to my shop, then return the car. Works good in some situations, not for all or everyone.

AGP

Pimp: You're not the first one to think of shuttling people's vehicles back and forth. We will do it if it's within a few miles from our shop. But not gonna pay a tech 50.00/hour with overhead to run around 5 counties and shuttle cars around. If they don't wanna bring it in, I could care less. Valvoline Instant Oil Change doesn't pick your car up, neither will Burger King.

Hmmmmm. I wonder how much people would be willing to pay for a service that will pick up their automobile and take it for service? I imagine you would have to have some hefty insurance though so it probably wouldn't be terribly profitable.

Webmaster - I am told that our Garage keepers covers ANY vehicle as long as it is in our possession. So maybe the insurance part would not be the hard part. Maybe finding enough safe drivers to hire would be?

50 DOLLARS AN HR.!!! I'll do it for 35.00!!

That's correct, our Business Policy covers any vehicle we drive or work on. If someone wants to pay us 75-100 bucks to drive their car around I'd do it.

BIGBIRD: It's called overhead. Hourly wages, rent, truck payment, wear and tear, gasoline, health insurance, material disposal...on and on and on. We estimate our overhead to be right around 50.00/hour just to turn the ignition on in a mobile vehicle. I am sure it's in the same ballpark for most shop owners/mgrs.

SmileyCentral.com

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com