AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lami Glass stops theives ??

Hello,

Do you all honestly thing a thief will take the time to look at your glass and see if its laminated?
That article is pointless.. Even if they can not get in you still get a smashed window..

Larry

Re: Lami Glass stops theives ??

If they want it,they WILL get it I have done many Mercedes with lami glass and it still caves in with a baseball bat! At most it is a deterrent as is with any type of alarms also!

I agree.

It can stop the less determined thieves. When I worked at DT we put lami on the shop windows because we had a problem with the bums trying to break in. They cracked up a few and finally figured out it wasn't worth it.

I think that lami door glasses is a safety hazard. Lets say your driving on the highway a semi trucks cuts you off you go off a 30ft bridge into the lake below and you and your kids are trapped in the car (without a emergency hammer tool)even if you wait for the car to totally fill with water (to help equalize the pressure on both sides) you still have to kick or hit the glass hard enough to break through the first layer than have to be able to get through the interlayer and then through another layer of glass.By the time you do this your 12 yr old daughter has drowned.
They say lami is safer in a roll over ,I have seen first hand (my oldest brother was a EMT ) lami tends to brake into large shards and can cut worse than tempered (just ask any one who worked with lami set store fronts and door plates)I I did a ride along with my brother a couple of years ago and watched a guy pulled from his lincoln ,he had to have six stitches in his face and over twenty in his arm.

So you can not and will not ever convince me that lami door glasses are safer than tempered. (IMHO)
I think it is just a way for car manufactures to cut cost.

I agree AHAG.

No lami door glasses for me. I might be convinced to understand a la,i backglass, but I see no sense in door glasses.

Yeah i agree, I tell you what i would rather be thrown out a window and die in a flash, than run into a creek or off a bridge and not be able to exit my vehicle!! I totally disagree with byron bloch, hell he wants to put lami in all his volvo windows... just does not make sense... how the heck do you exit the vehicle?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the guy above who said that lami will break into shards and cut like heck. We've all seen what a REALLY REALLY busted windshield looks like...Why would you want the consumer driving your car to be shoved up against that? It'd be like being stuffed through a cheese grader!!

Sometimes I wonder if the auto engineers really think about this stuff...and then I remember that they don't!

Well like I said I've seen those things happen with my own eyes .I think its UNSAFE and even though it saves the manufacture money versus temepered they charge twice the amoount for a lami doorglass.

have you guys seen the lawsuits for not using lami? you should google it, ford was sued over an explorer and an e series van for not having lami. i think they lost one of the suits but it is under appeal.

Explorer suit was tossed out by the judge.

Science has proven that if a person uses the seat belt in the proper way 99.9% of the time they will not be ejected from the vehicle in a roll over or head on collision.

Now I would like to see proof that the people in the Ford cases really had used the seat belt's they did not then both cases should be thrown out and the lawyers hung.If they did use the belts and still got injured then Ford should pay if they can prove the wreck was caused by a direct result relating to ford then the door glasses could come into play.

The only thing is most of the cases of this type have and will be thrown out because of the seat belt clause. Just like the case with G.M in Texas the little girl was ejected through the rear door glass but even her parents told the judge that the family did not wear seat belts. The judge threw it out .
We follow some of this stuff real close because my wife used to work for the attorney general as a para legal and most of the cases that she worked on dealt with issues similar to this.

At least you have a chance with lami.Try kicking out a piece tempered.

VT people that live in area's like I do in florida as a general rule have an automatic center punch hanging from their steering assembly. It was the first thing i was given when i came to town, I would like to see you kick out a piece of lami under water, an automatic center punch pops the glass in seconds no matter how much pressure.

in case you have never been to florida or just do not know as i did not before i moved here. There is freaking water all over and old nuts like me that will run your hiney off the road.

AGP

AGP;In my 30 yrs i have only seen TWO (2) center punches in vehicles.And i get a number of cars from florida (a lot of us have tendency to fly south for the winter).

P.S.
Then again,you might stand a better chance kicking out the w/s from a possible previous poor installation

Seeing as how this has become a good topic,i sent the idea in to "mythbusters".Maybe; just maybe, we can clear all this up.

OOh that is cool you sent it to Mythbusters! I love that show! Hopefully they will take it on!

I hope so also.But they have alot of other peoples ideas to go through first

That is a really cool idea. Perhaps we should all e-mail them the idea...might make 'em think a lot of people would like to see it.

I don't get what the myth is that they would bust?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com