AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Plastic windshields?

After reading the glassbytes on Plastic Windhsields I came across this article on a web search. It is a detailed report from the NHTSA regarding the practicality of using glass/plastic (bulletproof type) windshields in vehicles.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/808062.html

Knowing FORD was sued for not using available technology in side windows that could prevent injury (laminated side windows) could manufacturers be open to more law suits when projectiles come through a windshield, since the technology exists?

Thought some of you might find this an interesting read.

Re: Plastic windshields?

FORD was cleared in that suit by the way....

It looked to me like the plastic WS thing was being pitched to off roaders on the website the article mentioned.

Its an interesting idea.

Thanks for the update Glassgod.

I knew FORD tried to agrue that it was not cost effective for the consumer or the manufacturer. But because they had equipped some of their production vehicles (like crown vic police units) with laminated side windows it was a difficult argument.

I am not sure laminated side windows are a great idea either. Wouldn't they make it more difficult in certain types of accidents for emergency personel to gain access to the passenger compartment? Reminds me of customers that think the windshield is the cheapest piece of glass so they try to break it when they lock their keys in the car. Good luck getting inside the car thru the windshield.

CCC,

The report that you cited was about the old anti-lacerative, "innershield", windshields that GM and Porsche tried for a while in the 80's

This was a vinyl-like layer on the inside of an otherwise regular windshield. They were not plastic windshields.

Correct IRA!

However, some of the new products I have been reading about do have PLASTIC layers, not just an inner-shield type of material. I was around for the inner-shield products and thought they were a nightmare to handle and maintain for consumers.

Anyone have experience with these newer plastic applications?

IMHO the plastic windshields are absolutely illegal for on-the-road use.

Any windshield must have a rating of AS-1 and the Lexan windshield does not pass some of the tests required for that rating.

Someone hitting this type of windshield will lose the "safety" feature of the glass being able to break and allowing the interlayer to stretch and cushion some of the impact.

Removing a safety feature from a car is, I believe, a violation of Federal law.

Need to find the link, but there was another article on a plastic windshield that actually had a built-in weakspot. It was designed so that when you hit it from the inside, the material would break away and you would not get hurt.

Guess he forgot about how hard the pavement is?

The interlayer w/s is now called anti spalling w/s. BMW is supposed to have them as an option on their high end cars.

http://www.dupont.com/safetyglass/en/productServices/spallshield/spallshield_brochure.pdf

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com