AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tempering

Sorry to get off the auto glass topics a bit but maybe one of you can help me on this one.
Anyone have any suggestions on who can temper a piece of 1/4" glass for me? Called our account rep at CR Laurence just to see but was told they do no tempering and he had no suggestions. For some reason I am thinking that DCM does it?? Anyone else?
I hope to enclose an built in cabinet in my house to keep the dust off the crystal. Because of the size of the opening (25" wide X 55" tall) I ruled out having a hinged door. My plan at this point is to have one piece of 1/4 tempered at that size and do a lift & drop type install, so if necessary, I can get the glass out.
My experience is with auto glass, so if anyone can make suggestions, or if there is concern on the size or thickness of the glass or anything else, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Re: Tempering

The only place I am familiar with is Glass Temp. There site is www.glasstemp.com

We do a lot of cabinets. I suggest a door anyway as your best choice, adhesive backset the tempered glass into it. I don't know how often you need to get into the cabinet, but you'll likely be happier with a door in the long term than a lift out glass. Put a lock on it if you need security from the kids getting in there or such.

Tempering should be available at any full service shop, they will have contacts to all nearby tempering facilities.

Tempering is not normally required in a cabinet door. However, for tough or safe, it may be done. It may be required if the cabinet is next to a doorway for human passage for example, defining the glazing as being in a hazardous location.

THe rule of thumb in flat is, when in doubt, safety glaze it. Safety glass is much cheaper than lawsuits or injuries.

If the cabinet is built in, fashion a simple swing door frame and have a cabinet maker build you one. You can do the finish and hardware yourself. Remember, it will only be 'in the way' when you open it, and if you don't open it often, it's not a problem. You can bed the glass in a backset of a glaziers silicone, that will allow the glass to support the door and keep it from sagging over the years.

I would not use stereo cabinet type hardware on a glass this big, and the size of the opening does not lend itself to sliding doors. The doors would be very tall and narrow. And a swing door would seal the best anyway.

HTH

Why not use a 28X60 AS1 or 2 for this. All you have to do is cut to size. Or check Yellow Pages for a temp glass dist near you.

Laminated is very burglar/kid proof, same thickness, and no mess if it breaks. Probly cheaper too.

Thanks everyone!!! I think I am just going to cut a piece of lami and call it a day. Keep it to what I know and I can do it myself using a piece left over from another job.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com