AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Glass Scam now in Email Also

FYI - if there was an issue with an account a bank or lending institution will not - I repeat - will not contact you by email. They would either call you or send you a letter in the mail.

Lee,

I got something EXACTLY the same from PAYPAL!!

It arrived in my bulk e-mail, looked like an official paypal e-mail. I knew something was up when it came in bulk mail so I checked out my paypal account for anything odd. Seeing nothing out of character I deleted the e-mail.

Glad I did now!! What you posted was exactly what I received except for the difference in companies.

I get these things all the time from Pay Pal, Sears, Bank of America, etc. The previous poster is correct, no legitimate financial institution will EVER ask for that kind of info by email.

We got the scam here in Naples Florida. It started off with the relay calls to the emails. For 30 pieces of 30 x 30 1/4 with polished edges. So we are now stuck with 30 pieces of glass with nothing to do with them. The frustration i had with this man who was demanding and the CONTINUOUS relay calls that take more than a few minutes to talk.... I wish i would have gotten rid of this guy with just my frustration with him before we realized it was a scam!!!

UUGGHH!! LOL

I went along with this scam from 10/16/07 - 10/26/07
Through the TTY Operator.A gal stating to be Laura
La Donna, A Freight Company, Lester Freight, Martin Reed was his name. Wanted me to order 100 30 X 30 X 1/4 glass and me ship it to West Africa. E-mail for Laura was lauraledon@yahoo.com. She would go through her E-mail and through the TTy Operator. Laura stated that the shipping company's credit card machine was down, would I run a credit card number, take the cash out of my acct. to pay the shipping. WHY can't these people be caught? If a sting was set up like I just read on the internet, is it because we are only a small business trying to make a living or WHAT? Western Union is a huge part of this,money is sent daily through Western Union to the hands of scammers. Who do we trust any more, who do small business owners turn to? I don't beleive the guy that says we are stupid business people, we are business owners trying to make a living. If we don't know about this scam thats going on, why are we called stupid? If a Glass Company (vendor) gets a call from a glass shop requesting 100 30 X 30 X 1/4 glass order, why don't they say, wait a minute, do you know there is a scam going on out there?

It really bothers me that something can't be done concering the Western Union's part as the pick-up place for scammers to walk into and receive $$$$$$$$$$$$. There has to be something that can be worked out to stop this. The FBI states that the amount of funds that are taken from you must be
500,000.00 before they will even think about getting involved. This is sick. Also, when the caller calls through the TTd Operator, can't this be traced by the number the caller is calling from?

most likely spyware and viruses imbedded in those e-mail fisching scams. I never open anything anymore unless it is from someone that I REALLY know. Even then I rarely open attatchments without calling them on the phone and asking what it is first. (had too many computers lost to junk mail)

I HAVE HAD 1 CUSTOMER IN BIRMINGHAM, ALA. AND 1 FROM ANNISTON, ALABAMA THAT BEEN CONTACTED BY SAME SCAM. BOTH TIMES THE PART # WAS DW01474. THE CREDIT CARD WAS GIVEN APPROVAL BUT 2 DAYS LATER WAS REJECTED FROM THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY. THEY TOLD THE CUSTOMER WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT A PURCHASE ASK THE CARD COMPANY TO SAY CODE 1O. SO SHOPS BEWARE!!!!!

G'day guys,
I copped a few of the same emails in Australia enquiring about tempered glass to export to Africa...from you guessed it the good reverand himself...I kept my reply short and sweet, two words and second one was OFF

just received an email for 14 w/s to be paid for by a stolen credit card.i contacted my credit card csr and was given approval for this charge.but me knowing that something fishy was going on i contacted the issueing bank for this credit card which informed me that it was stolen and the name of the person was incorrect

Most of the obvious scams are there to get you to clik the link and then you are botbait.

Got the same scam last year for the DW1474's last year. Scammer asked to have the windshields shipped to S. Africa. CC came back stolen and was denied.

It's pretty amazing that the FBI won't get involved unless the amount involved is over $500K. Too bad we can't combine all the scams together from all the companies involved and get the FBI involved that way.

I just came back from a week vacation and our receptionist was complaining about this email order she was dealing with where the guy sent 2 cards, would not call her, wanted 60 34x34x1/8 tempered glass. I said "this sounds familiar" and googled Glass Company Order Scam. This post was one of the first things I found, So i wrote the guy back and told him to get lost.

We got one today from a man wanting to know if we could ship to Australia. Then we are to getwith him for details. Same song second verse.

I got an e-mail on this today, only now they were looking for tempered glass. These guys will not quit. Everyone beware.

THEY ARE DOING TO SIGN SHOPS ALSO.
ORDERING BANNERS WITH THE SAME SCAM.
GOOD CREDIT CARDS THAT WILL GO THROUGH.
THEN THE SHIPPING SCAM.

Re: Re: Glass Scam now in Email Also

WE WERE JUST CONTACTED BY A JAMES CARTER USING AT&T OPERATOR SAYING HE WAS DEAF. HE HAS BEEN EMAILING ME TO OBTAIN A PRICE ON A 2005 FORD EXPLORER WHICH IS A DW1474 AND THE PRICE FOR A PIECE OF 36 X 36 1/8 INCH GLASS. HE ALSO WANTS TO KNOW WHAT TYPES OF CREDIT CARDS WE ACCEPT. ONCE RECEIVING A QUOTE, HE NOW WOULD LIKE TO HAVE 130 PIECES OF 36X36 GLASS AND WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND A FREIGHT COMPANY TO ME. I'VE KNOWN INSTINCTIVELY THIS WAS A SCAM SINCE THE FIRST EMAIL AND NOW READING ALL OF THESE MESSAGES ONLY CONFIRMS THAT NOW. THE EMAIL ADDRESS IS JAMESCARTER123@YAHOO.COM AND HE IS CLAIMING HE IS DEAF AND IS USING EMAIL. I AM NOW BLOCKING HIS EMAIL ADDRESS FROM CONTACTING ME ANY FURTHER, JUST IN CASE HE SENDS ME A VIRUS. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN CONTACTED BY HIM?

1 2

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com