AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glass Tint Color in USA

Does the USA have a variety of tint colors for glass in their cars or is it just green and privacy tint (dark grey)?

Is there a system printed on the glass designating the tint color ? Like is there an M code printed on the glass ?
For example
M213 = green
M283 = bronze
M2135 = green relective
M2L3 = privacy tint (dark grey)

Is privacy tint and other tint colors available from aftermarket auto glass suppliers for tempered glass or just green ?

Re: Glass Tint Color in USA

Glass is available by what the car maker uses in their vehicles. If a vehicle comes only with privacy in the rear doors aft, that is what is offered in the aftermarket. If another color is a option it is also offered. Clear is almost never offered by the manufactures. The windshields and all other glass can be green, blue, bronze, gray. It all depends on what the manufacturer uses. Also some glasses come with color choices of attachments that come with the glass. So sometimes there are 10-15 different #'s for backs and 1/4's + privacy and tint options. HTH

Nz guy i am sure one of the software providers would gladly send you a demo, that edirectglass guy offers a free trial online, not sure what the web address is, I paper invoice personall think its edirectglass.com ?

The only times we have ever seen reference to the "M" numbers on the glass is when dealing with the salvage suppliers.

Few glass wholesalers use this info, and my experience with the salvage people has taught me that the "M" numbers are not always completely reliable.

I have seen different "M" numbers on parts that appear to be identical colors.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Mark 1, I have a large list of M codes designating which color, which helps with interchange if you want.

Can anyone tell me the DOT numbers of aftermarket privacy tint glass ? Especially those from China, but also interested in others available.

The M Number is tied to, and assigned by the glass the manufacturer. It identifies the glass color, thickness

here is the DOT list.

Would you email me the M doe list? I would liek to review it. Thank you.

here is the DOT list for real

http://www.glasslinks.com/dot2.htm

NZ

Here's how it works.

Each manufacturer is assigned a DOT number. All the number signifies is who made the glass.

Each manufacturer is assigned a unique "M" number for each type of glass they offer ( thickness, construction and color)

The list can be referenced at the website for the AMECA (WWW.AMECA.ORG). Click on Publications and Compliance List, then on Safety Glazing Material.

The list is not totally complete as some manufacturers, such as PPG and Guardian, do not send them their current information, but it does have a lot of information in there.

Thanks guys for your help.

SBOK here is a link to a used parts company in my Country with some of the M codes. Some information not 100% correct, for example the Toyotas assembled in Japan often have a different M code on the opposite side of the vehicle but is still the same color.

http://www.avalonspares.co.nz/Tintpage.htm

The information we have is nothing to what you guys have available as a group. Thanks again.

Received copies of some NAGS publications in mail today. Is the benchmark calculator how much the insurance companies allow you for the glass ? If so, it doesn't seem to bad compared to what we get sometimes on our side of the World. Or are your wholesalers to tough on price ?

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com