AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Why did the goose go through the w/s?

Just have to share this one.. Today we did a job that well seemed a bit odd. Mini van, a goose came right through and landed between the seats. I've seen deer hits where the head broke through, and even turkeys that broke the w/s all over, but none came straight through. First thing I noticed, the last install was done real poorly. NO PRIMERS! The urethane came right off the pinchweld and I barely had to cut anything and basically pushed it right out. On the passenger side where the bird came through the w/s was torn right away from the a-pillar. The only other thing I noticed,,, it was an sgc w/s,,,,hmmmm. Didn't have a digital yet(getting one real soon), but took pics with a regular camera. This will be real good to show customers the difference in "QUALITY". ee-gads never have I seen the PVB layer fail so drastically!!

Re: Why did the goose go through the w/s?

Oh no!! And S/G is supposed to be our role model!! LOL!! All jokes aside, that's really sad. Imagine if those poor people had been in a collision with another vehicle!

I did a Toyota 4Runner a few weeks ago that pushed right out after minimal cutting. I one handed the cold knife over the top and sides and lifted it out. Didn't have to cut anything across the bottom at all.
I'm glad she never had an accident. I'm not sure who performed the last install, but the glass was a PPG.

And it's all approved by the DOT. WOW that is sad.

Customer just picked it up, and he said he sure was glad his wife was not along with him yesterday when it happened. I told him it may have been a blessing in disquise, because if they were to of gotten in a major accident the w/s would not protect them in any shape or form. That was a bad situation just waiting to happen,,, alls well that ends well. another happy, and SAFE customer, that will return to us for quality! I still say the bird should have never gotten through the pvb like that!!!!!

Have a deer hit here now, crushed left front fender, and rear drivers side door, but the head and shoulder hit the WS on the way by.

The horns penetrated the PVB, owner estimates a yearling buck, 2x2 spike as we call them. Pretty severe crushing blow. But it did hold up. Chinese WS, urethane did hold, though the impact was 4 inches away from the A pillar.

Now that I've complimented the install and the chinese part, I noted urethane outside the J molding on this Neon. So I peeked. J mold was cut in at least one 10 inch section across the top, which is where I peeled the molding back. Installer raked the return wall with what looks like a air chisel, but was probably a utility knife. The point is.....rust. Once again, it is found before someone's life hung in the balance.

Hal, this is why I keep harping on the issue of exactly WHAT you are getting pricing based on...quality of materials, AND workmanship. YOU as an insurer would be facing an injury claim over this, and then would have to subrogate back to the glass installer. Wouldn't it be easier, AND cheaper, to be sure it's just done right in the first place?

The irony is, I'll probably have to fight for payment on this, even though AGRSS, NGA, ICAR, NAGS, every adhesive mfg, and every installation training org ALL note corrosion must be dealt with to perform a proper installation. We will save the insurer millions in risk by putting this customer back into a safe car, and bear that risk ourselves in the repair, but they won't want to pay the pittance it costs.

Go figure.

But they will pay. I always enjoy an insurer or network that says "We have no proof that there was rust or that you did anything about it". My reply: "Where would you like the pics emailed documenting everything?"

Case closed.

AGN was it truly a PPG w/s? Did you check the DOT # ? I would be willing to bet it was DOT 563. Just a thought.

Didn't check the DOT # unfortunatley, but yes it was a PPG. I'm not sure it was a glass problem...It seemed a lot like an adhesive problem like the problems many techs had with the Essex Express. It is quite possible that the tech didn't prime the glass also. The things people do to save time.

I cant understand why someone would not prime the glass! It does NOT take any extra time at all. If the install is in shop, then why not have the glass primed and ready to go when the customer arrives? And if it is a mobile, why not get the w/s cleaned and primed right there before you start work on the car? We use Sika ASAP and the primer only takes 10 min to dry @ 40F. I'm not even ready to start cutting the glass out within 10 min, let alone set the **** thing! To anybody that wont use primers, YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND MAKE ALL INSTALLERS LOOK BAD!!!!!!

Perhaps this would be a good time to bring in the notion that all installers should hold & earn an installers license, that is registered with the state & dept. of consumer protection so that if & when something bad happens not only will the company be resposable but the installer will also be held to his or her license! This would also be a good start for us as installers to demand higher rates from INS. CO. for professional services. Did you ever hear of an electrician complain about what the INS. CO. was willing to give them?

XXX Do you still have the windshield I would like to see a picture of it, and i would also like to have safelite check the windshield to see why it seperated like that!!?? How Big was the goose, at what rate of speed did the car hit the goose. was the goose flying in there direction and what speeds?

Fatso

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com