AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Urethane Removal

Can anyone advise on how to remove urethane from the A-Pillar of a car? The urethane has cured. I'm trying to address a customer complaint. Any suggestions would be apppreciated. Thank You.

Re: Urethane Removal

The only thing I have seen work,,, sometimes,,, is to buff it out with buffing compound,on a rag, by hand, go slow and be careful not to go deep into the paint, if it is primer, it may be too deep! good luck

Spray loctite rear view mirror primer on it, it will disolve it and it disappears.

Release agent and the chisel end of a white stick will get thane off of paint without harming it. Do not get any locktite primer on plastic surfaces it will discolor certain plastics. With the newer paints I would test any chemicals under the hood or in an out of the way spot before using on a visable area.
HTH

The safest thing I found is the bug and tar remover in the black and green spray bottle at Autozone it also has a wax in it and you can spray on and leave set for about 5 minutes (its no a no drip spary) then wipe of with a shop towel repeat till gone . Cheaper than release agent and safer on hands and paint,since most release agents remove the wax from the paint and on some cars leave a white filmy residue that looks like bird s***.

Is it on the inside or outside of the pillar?

either way the bug & tar remover I mention will take car of the problem without any damages to the paint or interior.

use SRP hand cleaner.... it dosn't damage the paint and cleanes the urethane off of the paint.d

There is a few good tips on this,,, just be careful that the solvents used will not fade out the color either inside the pillar on PLASTIC, or the paint itself,,, bug and tar or 3m adhesive remover works great,,, but look out for how it reacts with the color of the material you are working with,,, that's why at times I use a lite rubbing compound becauase it usually won't fade color but these are all goood choices,,,, good post,, knowledge is power,,, spread the word!!!!!

GOO_GONE--home depot 2.99 a bottle

If you are using a primer requiring urethane, technically it will most likely peel off, like mentioned above, there is a product i use sometimes it is called "Dry Clean" its in a can and i think i get it thru ppg.. it is awsome

Your Adhesive manufacture should have some information on what works best for removing glue from the body...

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com