AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Progressive's new pricing

We just received a fax from Progressive Insurance notifying us that due to a recent "analysis of fair market pricing" a change in their "Fair and Reasonable" in in order.

Somehow, they consider 48% off NAGS list to be "Fair and Reasonable"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't consider it either fair OR reasonable !!!

We will not work for Progressive. I think any shop that does is nuts!!!!!

Re: Progressive's new pricing

We just got our new update but it is only 42% off. I still refuse to do any work for them. We don't do much for them anyways because they do not insure people in this state.

48% here faxed today , I will allow the customer to pay me via Credit card for what I deem fair and reasonable, then they can bill progressive themselves through the crapty agency this will buy them 30 days to get payment from them and cut stinklite out of the game .

If not they got what they paid for (progressive)

Something from nothing leaves NOTHING!

We have already sent Progressive a letter with our fair and reasonable pricing and notified our staff not to take any Progressive work for there old or new discounts!

Just got mine for 34% off. Don't think so!

Now, whom do I wonder is desperate enough to work for those rates?

Does anyone remember the memos that were made public from District Managers to shop managers several years back, where the DM was screaming (lotsa CAPS) at the store managers that "THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS UNITS UNITS UNITS!!!!!"

Remember those? lol lol

Seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Key is, when they ask if you are refusing the job, say NO, just your pricing.

We have Prog quoting the policy language stating they may base reimbursement on AM parts. Fine.

I replied: "WHICH AM parts?"

The lady couldn't answer. I explained: "You have obviously chosen certain AM parts that you feel will fulfill your obligations to the policyholder and indemnify them against loss. Please tell me WHICH parts you have decided will also return the car and it's safety systems to OEM specs to assure we have put the consumer back to preloss condition. Until you tell me WHAT parts you decided will do this, your pricing is irrelevant."

Of course the customer, IN the 3-WAY agrees.

NO proof of equivalence, NO AM parts.

IF they choose, they choose, but they have to specify. If they can settle the claim on the AM parts, they can surely tell US and the consumer WHICH ones they used to calculate settlement and that puts them right squarely in the liability boat with us for those parts. (THAT'S why they don't say WHICH parts, right Hal? OEE, wasn't it?)

Disclosure of the method to calculate the settlement is required under our state's fair claims settlement laws.

Mark1, Ok I know you're not a lawyer even though in conversation you could pass (I'm sure in morals and values, you'd fail. Sorry can't resist a good slam @ lawyers, necessary evil that they are). Now let me ask are you licensed as an insurance adjuster or agent? If not you must spend alot I mean ALOT of time reading up on these issues. You are the most "INFORMED" person it's been my pleasure to communicate with. Do you mind if I ask what state you operate in?

I dunno about Mark, but I've been operating in a state of confusion lately.

Glassgod,
LOL!!! Good one!!

What the hell, I didn't know we were all neighbors!

Is it really progressives pricing???? hmm I don't know. First hand experience we had with a progressive insured, net priced part we would not accept the bs pricing from sgc, so we get a call from Progressive directly, within a few short mins, they authorized us a +10 up from nags to cover the glass. Moral of the story???? just say "NO"! And like others are saying,,, don't say no to the job say no to the pricing! "CAP" pricing is coming back, why or how you ask??? because shops are demanding better rates for their work. It is that simple, but you have to be willing to lose a few to gain in the long run. Since rebalance St farm has stayed on 1 price in our area,, why, because if they don't they won't get the work done. In rural MN pricing has remained fairly stable since rebalance, except from co's dealing with SGC, they have been from +144-+166 up from nags and revenue neutral to them asking for -18 off which we quickly turn down. That's why they try so hard to steer, they lose to much on the shops that stand up for themselves and THEIR CUSTOMERS! The areas that are getting hit with rediculous pricing are the area's where shops are willing to work for little or nothing, and are too dependant on the networks to survive,,. I'm sorry for you in those areas, but face it, they are trying to find the bottom of the barrel and evidently they haven't found it in those areas yet. It has been extremely difficult to lay off our secretary, and most our help, but we are surviving, will continue to survive, since rebalance we have held tight to the pricing, we have not accepted discounting, yes it has hurt, but we have loyal customers and we are getting paid about the same as we have since rebalance, again excuding most sgc controlled co's which are on a downward slide. bottom line here folks,,,, what's it gonna take for you to get off the Dictated Rates Undermining Glass Shops????Now I know I will take heat for this last comment and some may hate me but,,, here goes,,, IF YOU OR YOUR SHOP CAN'T HANDLE IT WITHOUT NETWORKS MAYBE YOU DO NOT BELONG IN THIS BUSINESS!!!!! Sorry if this is too strong for some but it's overdue for the same old solution and it's been the same since rebalance,, no matter how hard it is just say no! HWT THE HECK IS THE ALTERNATIVE???? GO AHEAD AND KEEP ACCEPTING LOWER RATES YOU WILL FIND OUT SHORTLY,,, It's called going broke I have to laugh ........ just another day same old sgc poooooooo!

I got my fax for 34%off. Could Not believe it. I called SGC Regional Mgr. and told him I thought it was crazy to expect us to accept this rate. His responce was to tell me to get off the list for Progressive. I said I would. On another Insurance company I was asked for 28% off Nags which was $43.00 below my cost. I called the Ins. Co. and was told to bill them at 25% above Nags. Alliance Claims wanted to reap 53% profit while I lost money. I billed direct and made a little.

48% off nags here.
I think I'll pass and do the jobs where I make $$ not loose $$.
SGC is contractually bound to do work for rogressive. Let SGC work themselves into chapter 11.

you can fax them back all day long,,, won't matter, they don't care! The only thing that will make a difference is enough shops have to say "no" their pricing, or let the job go, but if it is YOUR customer you can keep him or her and get paid fairly, you just have to do it! Show your customer in black and white what they are doing show them what you need to do quality work for them, they will pay for it and they will get it back from their ins co. the law is totally on their side. You will gain a loyal customer that trusts you! Networks are a trap, it seems more shops need to get customers the old fashioned way,,,, EARN THEM!!!!!! SGC will never be able to service what they control on their own,,, they just don't believe that enough of the shops believe it!

We will not be agreeing to this either.It is getting really bad.I just hope enough ind shops will not sign this crap.It is the only way to change it.

Please remember folks - the publisher requests that you not use the forum to promote group action or organize a boycott, etc. Thanks.

I don't think we are boycotting or promoteing a group action by just simply stateing "I will not be doing Progressive work." Other AGR people are free to do as they wish. Yes or No Webmaster?

I'm just the webmaster - I don't make the rules. The posts in question have already been removed leaving one to deduce that what is still here is within the rules set forth by the publisher. And I have no idea what you mean by the last part of your post or how its even relevant.

Louise,

Many would say that, like Glasssgod, I operate in a state of confusion also.

State laws are available on line. Just have to take some time to read up on them. (yes, it takes COFFEE in bulk)

They are there for the public. One does not "have" to be a lawyer to read them, that's what the coffee is for.

I hear you Webmaster, but I agree with what basically everyone is saying. We also intend to just say no, TO THE PRICING. Never to the insured/customer there is a way to get the job done for them, it just takes some time and research. As Mark1 suggested I'm going to brew a pot of strong coffee and start searching and reading so I'm armed with the most accurate info available and applicable in my state. Even though we do particpate in the network handling Progressive and probably haven't been fairly compensated for alot of the work we've performed, and I'm quite sure some jobs have been steered away, they've also sent some work our way for companies that do pay a fair price. So I'll end on that note and start my research.

Mark1, I get you don't have to be a lawyer to read them. But my IQ is only 131 do you think I could understand them, or do they read like Greek?

HEY GLASSSGOD

you state above that you have been "Operating in a State of Confusion lately"
why's that?
after all, you are the GLASSSGOD (3 S'S)

Does anyone bill Progressive direct?

What's confusing me is how our sales have gone from all time highs last month and most of the year to sending 3 or 4 of our techs home at noon or 1:00 every day for the past two weeks.

GLASSSGOD

Hey Dave
don't let it bother you too much
this is typical for October, but then you know that already
your the GLASSSGOD

Well whoever you are...I know our techs like getting to their bar stool early so they don't care. It'll get better, my check's the same (HUGE) either way.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com