AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Serious Question

I have a serious question, and am seeking advice. I am a part time employee at a glass shop and attend school during the day. My mother's vehicle had the backglass and a doorglass broken out last week. She decided to go through insurace due to the cost of the backglass - 2 of which were offered at a cost of roughtly 350 and 900. I asked the secretary to order the glass b/c i was in class and she ordered the expensive backglass. Turns out its the wrong part and I eventually install the cheaper one. The expensive one was listed on the invoice which I scratched out and wrote in the correct part number, which was the cheaper b/g. I come to find out that the more expensive one was submitted to insurance though the cheaper one was installed. I'm irate that my employer pulled this crap on me. What do I do?

Re: Serious Question

20 views and no response??

Ins FRAUD it what that is

Mac,
Your employer had absolutely no right to do that. Rick is right, that is insurance fraud. If I were in your position I would contact my insurance agent and make them aware of this. If your employer operates like that you probably wont have a job afterwords, but your agent will love you!

Know the facts first! Confront the OWNER of the company first, not the SECRETARY as you stated. It could be the secretary works on commision and is lining her own pockects!

The owner of the company may not even have a clue!

Also did the secretary know a different back glass was installed.

Call me old fashion, I'am just a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty....Let us know how it comes out.

If the facts are correct that is Ins. Fraud. If owner knew and not just the secretary he is guilty. Either way you should point out the ERROR. If they refuse to change it I would report the incident to the Ins. Co.
If done on purpose they treated very poorly and with no respect.

Mac

It is your turn to weigh in on this subject. 45 views and 5 reply's.

Sounds like you work for, uh, let me take a wild guess-d/t-right?

Or an Insurance company.

The secretary doesn't get commission. I clearly put one line through the wrong part and below it wrote the correct part number in. She had to have seen it when doing the edi. I suspect this isn't the first time this has happened either.

mac you probably dont want to work for a company that operates that way. that is ins. fraud. your boss will get caught in the end and probably blame his installers for the issue. bail out now and find a reputable employer.

Mac

I hope you investigate a little more before blowing the whistle (Which I do reccomend if proven fraud)Talk to the owner and give him the benifit of the doubt. There could be more to this than you assume!

And as far as the secratary not making a comission, most employers have policies that you are not allowed to discuss salaries. Agian DO NOT ASSUME this is a serious matter...

Hope you get to the bottom of it with some good answers.

the way it works at my company- we dont have the paperwork from the shop in front of us, so we dont know til after the fact what was transmitted

Meaning the manager or CSR invocies, then it goes to corporate and billing is done from there?

go to your boss tell em you want your cut

just kidding

Mac, since you work part time, I take it that you are new to the industry. Welcome. Your concern is mine as well. This business is made up of a lot of shops who "talk the talk". They say they do things by the book when in fact they do not "walk the walk". I believe this is one of the main reasons our industry is in such a mess. There is no policeman. There is only one piece of advice that I can give you. Make your decisions based on can you live with it or can you die with it. There is a day of reckoning. Just do the right thing.

Even if the paperwork got processed before it was sent for billing, shouldn't the mistake have been caught in the billing? They are saying that the more expensive part was the wrong part, so the wrong part should not be accepted. Did I read that right? Isn't that an inventory problem as well? It should be caught somewhere.

Come on fellow glass guys/gals, do ya really think this "Mac" person is for real? Sounds like someone posting and doing a little "fishing" to me anyways.

Well, if that is the case Glassgod, then whomever is "fishing" knows exactly where we stand on the issue doesn't he - she?

My opinion is Mac is fake, he is fishing, and some may have fallen for it "hook, line, and sinker". Any of us know it's fraudulent to do what he described. I am pretty sure none of would bill an invoice knowingly fraudulent.

We would certainly hope not. At any rate, I gave him an honest opinion.

Do you guys keep evening hours? He says he goes to school during the day.

Some kids go to school during the morning thru a OJT program and work in the afternoon. Can happen, but I see what you are saying.

Ok Mac-

This is a test..What do they call the white fiber stick glass guys use to put a windshield in a rubber gasket?

No helping guys!!

If the expensive part was the wrong part, the invoice will be kicked back if the part number doesn't match the application, or vehicle information. MAC if I were you I'd listen to the people telling you to confront your employer first, not a supervisor but the owner, that's who's ultimately going to have his feet to the fire if this gets reported. It's wrong in more ways than I can list and should never happen to anyone, but if it were me I'd be doubly mad because it was my Mom it happened to!

Hawk, no it will not be kicked back. You can invoice (EDI) any corresponding part (i.e., rain sensor or heated w/s vs. w/s w/no options) as long as NAGS software shows it fitting the car. So if a Bonneville shows DW1391 or DW1392 with HUD, you can EDI either one. If a privacy backglass has higher or lower NAGS list than GT, you can EDI either one. If there are 12 different quarterglasses for a SUV or Van, you can EDI any of them as long as NAGS shows it fitting the "application". All of us legit shops, and I'm sure you yourself, will invoice/EDI the correct, exact part we install.

Also funny how "Mac" has not responded in almost a week....must be busy at the insurance company, oops, I mean school.

GLASSGOD, please forgive my ignorance we can't all be omnipotent gods. You see in my ignorance and innocence I've never attempted to invoice any part that was not what we installed, but I thought the whole purpose of the TPA's having VIN was to verify that the part had the same features as the OE w/s or glasspart installed at the factory. Example; you are telling me that they will kick back an invoice because you submitted the list to low (which would benifit them), but they will accept an invoice for a quarter in YP with antenna, when it rolled off the line with no ant in GT, which definetly would not be in their favor. That seems kind of unlikely, but as I said I wouldn't know having never attempted it.

The Vin # verifies the car is listed on the policy, that's all. Did you ever call a dealer with a vin#? They will still often ask if the shield has HUD, rain sensor, etc. The build information rarely has every detail. I didn't disparage you in my reply, but if it makes ya feel better go for it. I am stating facts as I know them to be in 10 years of billing electronically and having had to deal with many rejected invoices, for lots of differing reasons. I got it figured out now and rarely ever have one rejected, if so, it's usually because I forgot a signature, forgot a loss date or somethiong else silly. Good luck to you.

Hawk,
You go Girl!!! I, like you, am too honest for my own good. But then, we can sleep at night!

Glassgod, that is true in part, but if you know the coding for vin#'s, it will tell you if it's heated or not, etc. My experience with Dealers, with a few rare exceptions (thank god) is that if you call them and tell them which part it is and what you are looking for they are usually very good about finding the info for you.

Glass chick...my whole point relative to vin#'s is the TPA's only use it to identify the correct vehicle is being worked on...they do not run a dealer build program and cross reference the OE part # with the corresponding NAGS number. How this turned into a question of whether any of us invoice fraudulently is too funny. I am only explaining facts of EDI. I also just called a Lexus dealer ten minutes ago for an OEM w/s, and even with the vin they needed to know if it had a rain sensor. Happens all the time. Good luck too you too.

GlassGod, I was not attempting to be DISPARAGING I was attempting sarcasm, sorry but it's just my sense of humor if you'll recall I've said many good things about you on the forum and have much respect for your opinions, and your knowledge. I was just knocked out by your information regarding billing. Having had invoices rejected alot when I first began doing this job, I like you am an office monkey but unlike you have no installation experience. I would often call the dealer to get info because the boss won't spring for VIN software, and they can tell me if a vehicle has options the owner can't tell me, simple things like rain sensors for example it's amazing how many people do not know they have this feature, or EC mirror and forget antenna's they are always clueless. I now know how to explain the feature on most options to the owners understanding, and the only thing I've not been able to get from a dealer was that stupid Acoustic Interlayer on GM's the owners didn't know, nor did the dealers. So we friends again?

Glassgod,
I'm not going to turn this into a slinging match, don't have the time or inclination. Point 1). I am NOT a chick. Point 2). I acknowledge your point on the vin #'s. Kindly acknowledge my point that it is possible to get good information from dealers if you ask them the right way. I have as much experience dealing with EDI as you do, so my point MAY have some merit also. Treat me as an equal and I will return the favor, if you have the ability to do that!
Have a wonderful day!!!

I EDI all the time and the point is made is correct. The VIN only verifies the year, make, model, and engine used on most all vehicles. The TPA only verifies the year,make,model with the vehicle on file. This is why you can also get a rejection when the ins co./TPA has the wrong vehicle listed or VIN incorrect on their end.

You can bill for any part that fits that vehicle. The ins. co./agents do not even know if the car has a heads-up, rain sensor, ect. Most agents know little about glass in the first place let alone how to note what options the vehicle has when he/she writes the policy. Unless they send out a fraud division to investigate what parts were used versus what parts a shop said they installed no one would ever know. Sadly this allows for fraud, but I am not sure how they would ever be able to audit or verify every piece of glass that is installed in this country.

Hopefully Mac, the original post of this thread was just an oversight or billing error, which can and does happen on occasion even with the best system in place. I am sure it can and will be corrected.

Sexism, chauvenism or disrespect is not necessary.
It does not reflect well on you GlassGod, and not that you care but I'm quite sure that I don't, whether you accept my request above that we remain friendly. I'll be rethinking that respect issue now.
As "GLASS LADY" said, Have A Nice Day!

Sorry, my chick doesn't mind being called that, but she is a flower child from the late '60's, early 70's. I apologize ladies.

Glassgod,
Apology accepted!! Truce?

ABSOLUTELY

I second that truce. I'm also a hippie chic, but unfortunately I'm more of a feminist. But I do shave my pits LOL.

Okay, I guess I have to admit my age also, LOL!! I've never really considered myself a feminist, but after all these years working in what is predominately a "man's" field, I have learned that the strong survive.

Glass Lady, our age is irrelevant we are the proverbial bottle of fine wine, we just keep getting better with age.

Now, I LOVE that thought!!! LOL!!!

Hmmmmm. No disrespect intended but - this thread is starting to remind me of a chick flick. Thelma and Louise ride again. You go girls.

LOL!!!

I can't Imagine a person smart unough to have a business to do something so stupid. But then again. There is an X ceo on charges right now, so I take that back. If this is a true story.
MMMMmmmm, Easy it would be to find out. Call the dealer with the vin# and they will tell you which glass came factory in that vehicle.
BUSTED!

Whew! While this stuff was a flying I saw webmaster roll right off his chair,,,,, WWHWHHHEIIISH!Let's all play nice ,,,PLEASE wow I never got to use so many smilies

Webmaster I'm definetely an over the cliff type gal!

Hawk, I think we have done our bit to entertain the troops today!! LOL!! I'll add mine,

Just finding time to read this. It is so evadent that Mac is a fake. Just fishing. When would any company first of all let a part time person see the invoice that is being sent in to the Ins. co. also, not many insurance co's share what they paid on claim. And if they did and the mother had proof that was not the part, why did she not go to the Ins. co. And if she did, do you think the Ins. co. for one second would not confront the shop. I have to laugh at how some of you are so ready to fall for some of this that is so clear that they are not glass shops.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com