AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Phone book Addd..za!

What is up with this phone book racket. They have five different phone books for the same area. I'm looking online, and of course the big guy's have full page color in every one. Is this just my area? You have to do something in everyone?.... Oh and you have to be in the Web directory. Any one out there getting a return on 3 grand plus a month phone book advertising?

Re: Phone book Addd..za!

Try talking to your customers as they call in and find out what book that they found you in. I ALWAYS ask where the customer heard about us. It give me a really good idea as to which books I am getting results from!! I just made some changes in my advertising. Found that I could get my ad in a different book for about half the price. I have ad's in several books but we service a large area. Hey, it's all a numbers game. Hope this helps a little. What part of Florida are you in?

Yeah, I hear ya. These are new markets I'm going into for 07, and I'm still going to have to pay to find out to make the changes you mention for 08.
For competition reasons I don't want to give Specific Locations on the Forum, But I'm in Central Florida.

Gotcha! I did my little survey over a period of about 6 months to get an idea of what was where. Not a problem with the details of your location. I was just curious if your were north, south or central. How long have you been in business anyway. I have been to Florida a few times. Nice place to visit, but not sure I would want to live there. NO offense!! My husband LOVES Florida though! Have yourself a great day!!

In my area we have 4 different phone books. What I have done to see which one is more effective I negotiated with them and got a "ghost telephone number" which is a number the phonebook publishes which forwards to my real number and keeps track of how many calls I got from that book, 2 of them did the add bussiness card size 2 colors for $100.00 for the year, I paid for the ghost number different in each one 32 bucks a month and the other 2 paid for the ghost number and I paid one 140 a month and the other 228 a month

Which phone book companies do that????????????????

We have done away with the big Y.P.ad and just don a one line bold list ad. We switched to ads on local race cars.We have a customer that has 12 race cars and runs a trucking company so we cut him a good deal on glass and give him the stickers he does the rest. Works pretty good we had more calls this year from the race cars then we did from the phone book ads the year before.

Where are you located that the racing connection worked out better than the phone book? I just started my business and I have tried both approaches and the phone books are ridiculously expense. I sponsored 6 cars and a couple of events this season.

North Texas (Dallas area)- The guy owns a small trucking company and we just cut him a little discount on all his windshields for his trucks and then we provide the stickers and he provides the cars.We've also placed stickers on the back doors of 2 of his trailes.All it costs us is the price to have the stickers printed. Another thing we do is place a nice looking sticker on the show cars we do and thats how we get a lot of the classic stuff.

So I'm in 8 phone books now. $3200 month. After shmozzing with the lady I got some info. Did you know, they know and keep track of how many calls you and your compeditor are getting on the ads. Size, color, no color, design. What if you could see which ad or ads are getting more calls,look at why, and make adjustments.Bam!

Ouch!!!! For what you are paying, they should send you a monthly statement with that iformation!!

Well you can't do anything about it intill the following year. I'll know once it hits because of my own phone records on the applicable phone number.

This is true, but, on the other end of the phone situation, do you have Vonage available as an option for your phone service?

No I just called. They don't have available for my area code. And the main number that I've had for years is not transferable. But what would that do?

I switched to Vonage for my main phone lines. I have 2 main lines, a toll free and a free fax line and it cost about $130.00 per month for all of it. The toll free has 100 free minutes and, I think, every minute over the first 100 is 3 cents per minute. That's unlimited local and long distance!! 500 free outgoing fax minutes per month ( which I never go over ) and incoming minutes on the fax are free!! I set up a local (ghost) number for the metro area that I service and it forewards to my vonage line. My customers get to call a local and they have no idea that it rings in to a different area code. What is the closest area that Vonage services to you? By the way, NO, I don't work for Vonage. LOL! I am just totally sold on their service and pricing!

The cable company has one like that. All those long-distance faxes are now 39.95 unlimited. They do not offer multible business lines like Vonage.The only thing I am leary of is the storms here. If the cable goes you have no phone. Seems they've got better. Use to go out every time it rained.

Here is an idea I picked up from another glass shop.

He has a different 800 number in each book he advertises in.

When the monthly bills come in, he can see how many calls were received from each book.

It's worth the expense ( the 800 numbers are cheap and no special equipment is required)

Ron, Right, but with vonage, you can pre-set your system so that if it does go out it will automatically ring to a different # of your choosing. I set mine to ring to my cell phone. Works great!!

I can remember when our business vehicles had our company name and A SEVEN DIGIT PHONE NUMBER stickered on the side (no need for an area code). There's soooooo many ppl from out of town cruzin' up and down the roads now. Fax??? what was THAT?
"Just the facts, mame."
Big company parties for Ins. people and car dealer OWNERS. times have changed.
...OFF the subject.... Should my Ins. agent have a
Safelite Auto Glass pen and notepad on her desk?

That's cool. In my case I'd have to forward to another part of the state.(land line) When huricane Charley came, there was no cell phones either. I got lucky. I still had phone service. No power for 7 days. No street lights, no gas, no ice. I can't begin to tell you how much that sucked. I wouldn't even wish that on a network.

I won't say that I know what you mean because I have never been through anything like that. We (the company) did send money and supplies down there to help but we weren't in the middle of it. I genuinely feel for you and hope to god that we at least get through this year without another one!! Regarding the Vonage, check it out. You can go on line or call them if you want more info. If what you have works for you, hey, it was just an idea. Take care.

Hey Thanks!

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com