AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hey lee you can bend glass?

i saw your post on sunday work it said you have a glass bending oven
we service a hot rod shop that wants to chop cars with out laying down/sloping the back glasses hope that makes sense can you bend glass both directions what about tempering can you do that too or could your bent glass be sent out for tempering

Re: hey lee you can bend glass?

We have been bending glass for 2 weeks. We are in the learning process now. We have bent clear Explorer 1/4's and backs for a job in Canada. The 1/4's came out perfect, the backs don't have the full bow but will work(movie magic). These are laminated 2.5,2.5 clear SS. For each different size glass we make we need a tool. What we do is use a windshield or 1/4 or back for a pattern and build a metal tool to match the outline(perimeter) of the part. Then we attach this to a base to support it. Make a pattern, cut glass to pattern(flat), put in oven and bend. Right now we have a vendor that does our laminating. Doing laminating in house is our next step.
Tempering is a whole different thing. We have no way of tempering curved glass. We have been thinking of trying to un temper a tempered piece but to do this with a curved piece a tool would have to be made to hold the shape or it would flatten out at temp. More later.

lami would be fine i can make a sheet metal pattern with the right bends and shape ship to you wadoya think wanna try

Sheet metal will probably warp at temperature. You need a perimeter tool made out of at least 1/8 steel.
We have just started doing this and are still in the learning process. E-mail me and I will send you a picture of one.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com