AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How many shops is too many?

I live in an area where a glass shop can easily serve three pretty big markets. I briefly looked at the census info and would estimate that there is about half a million people in these areas. There are about 35 - 40 auto glass related companies serving these areas. Some do flat glass also, some just auto. Not all of the shops service all of the areas. Those numbers include everyone from one man operations to large corporations.

My question is how many is too many? At what point does it become impossible to break into the market?

I realize this question is philosophical and the laws of economics teaches that the market expands to an unknown point so it probably doesn't have a correct answer necessarily, but in your experience what do you think?

Re: How many shops is too many?

auto glass ninja, i would reccomend you find a class to take.

i took an 8 week class at a community college, the first time, and then later on i took a 12 week class, the second class was sponsored by the state.

they were both basically small business entrepenaur type classes, at the end you walk away with a business plan, and from that you determine is it is worthwhile to start your own business or not.

you will spend less on a class than you would spend starting a business and failing. you might enquire at the local sba office, or score chapter, about classes like that.

if you have the drive and aren't scared to learn new stuff all the time, then you can do what ever you want. the choice is all yours, and with information you can really start off fully armed.

Re: How many shops is too many?

Thats valid advice if ever I've heard it. Thanks!

I am from a family full of small business owners so I know a lot of the ropes already, but its never a bad idea to sharpen your pencil.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com