AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
jeep j-series w/s dw643...

Installing one of these tomorrow. It is used glass with a new precision rubber. Top corners look like a beeyatch. How do you all do these. Insert top then stick around bottom? I'm wanting to do it without cutting top corners of gasket. No access on inside for roping as the gasket is recessed behind metal pillars. Bad thing glass is chipped in top corners almost perfectly inline with how far the glass goes up into the gasket so any stress there and "tink!" Cool customer, knows if it breaks he has to buy another.

Re: jeep j-series w/s dw643...

Wow. These are a beeyatch. If its the one I'm thinking of you might try putting the gasket in the sun for awhile to get it good and flexible, but most of the time you end up having to cut at least one corner.

Get a helper or have cust help, all you need them to do is hold one side of the glass while you install other side. Put w/strip on body seal between w/strip and body use thane and primer. If you can let this set up you are way ahead of the game. Install glass top first with helper holding glass as far up in upper corner as they can. You install your top and side and start bottom. Once bottom is started switch to helpers side finish top and side finish bottom. Seal, lock w/strip, install chrome mlds. Use a bone or your tool of choice to clear w/strip. Release or soapy water as a lube. We use boiled linseed oil for these and other rubber sets that take longer to do than others as is takes days to dry unlike release that dries in a few minutes. But when it dries it also seals. I have done a few without a helper used rags on top of right wiper set from left. This was using original w/strip and I was a young pup. Top molding is the hardest one don't rush it. HTH

Cut a corner? Heaven's no!

These are gravy.....the most difficult part is dealing with the chrome, getting it to "hook" onto the lip properly. You kind of have to do it all at once per piece.

Ninja, if you're talking about the top gasket corners needing to be cut, put the shield in top first, with a helper.

The worst problems with these were sealing them after the install, which you are now supposed to do with urethane, so sealing to the body side has to be a problem compared to conventional gasket sealants of the time designed for this.

Other than the AGRSS required usage of urethane, and the great suggestion of a warm w/strip, your worst problem should be getting the chrome on to a w/strip that has never had it on there before. Be gentle, and patient. It's just not that bad, but the new rubber may be stubborn first time around. I remember cussing several when someone else had not put the chrome back properly, and the lip was malformed from it. YOu had to force the lip back to its proper shape to into the chrome. Inject sealant into the screw holes before installing the screws, too.

Now, I should add, that most of my memory is from the newer year models, the 831s as I recall, but if memory serves, the chrome and the w/strip is the same on the older models.

Don't see many of them anymore. (Good lord, my age is showing.........)

thanks for the help. I haven't seen any chrome for this one, and I'm not about to ask if he has any. He didn't mention it, and I didn't see any holes for screws. But at least I don't feel bad telling cust. that two people are needed to do top side first. I guess I still know a couple of things. thanks again.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com