AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2006 Dodge Ram Rear Slider(OE)

Doing a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 rear slider Tuesday. It is a crew cab. Any tips as to how to remove it without damaging the paint AT ALL. Sliding pane not broke, right side is. Thanks for any help

Re: 2006 Dodge Ram Rear Slider(OE)

take the interior out and use a 90 degree air or fein knife blade from the inside or pull knife, time consuming but no paint damage

Re: 2006 Dodge Ram Rear Slider(OE)

D Hix Jun 20th, 2006 - 6:45 PM

Re: Ram Power Slider there are a couple of new tools available that make removal of the ram and dakota backglass alot easier. ultrawiz offers an interior cutout blade for use with a standard coldknife. the blade allows removal without pulling the headliner or the seat. when used in conjunction with the ultrawiz leverknife this blade you have the flexibility to adjust the length of the shank to maneuver around interior. i have removed and reinstalled several using this combo of tools with great success. there is virtually no damage to pinchweld or encapsulation. the part numbers for the blade are 5500 and 5501. they come in two sizes 1/2" and 3/4". i suggest both the smaller for a precut and the latter to finish. if you have any more questions contact me i'd be glad to help

Mark1 Jun 20th, 2006 - 7:25 PM Re: Ram Power Slider

D Hix,I am familiar with the blades you speak of, but have you tried them on a power slider? The difference I noted on the one we did was that there was no room for the blade shank to get past the pinchweld. The tracks are different from the regular(manual) sliders. I would be curious to know if the lack of clearance we witnessed was going to happen on all of the power sliders or if the one we dealt with was a rare occourence. (And God I hope it was)

LEE Jun 20th, 2006 - 9:06 PM Re: Ram Power Slider

We had already done 2 of these when I posted. Equalizer Ninja and air Fein got most of the thane. The two we did were 4 door trucks and have a metal bracket for a shoulder belt right behind the passenger side 2 feet(or so) in. This is welded in and doesn't come off without a heat wrench. We wired that section out plus we wired most of the top. There is no way you can not pull the seats and drop the headliner to do one of these. If you don't pull the seats how do you get the motor out????? The power tools have a hard time getting these out as tight as they are. I would like to see someone pull this with a cold knife.

LEE Jun 20th, 2006 - 9:31 PM Re: Ram Power Slider

We pulled two of these and replaced the sliders with one piece light tinted glasses. They are going to be used in the TV series Vanished. Some one gets a bullet in the truck and the glass breaks, so the light tint to film the actors. Also we used butyl to hold them in but will thane them back in to original specks when the show is done with them. See there is a use for butyl tape.

D Hix Jun 20th, 2006 - 10:17 PM Re: Ram Power

Slider my company was subcontracted by dodge to remove roughly 100 ram backglasses, and i did not use a single power tool in the process. the metal bracket you mentioned does suck, no real way around it. i'm pretty sure i removed a few that were power sliders, and still was able to coldknife with the interior blade. non-power i do not remove the seat, just fold the seat up and it allows enough room for the coldknife with the interior blade
Lee Jun 20th, 2006 - 10:33 PM Re: Ram Power Slider Come on D HIX, Your pretty sure you did some power sliders? This bracket is 6 inches high and welded in.Where may we view these magical cold knife blades?

D Hix Jun 20th, 2006 - 10:38 PM Re: Ram Power

Slider the blades are available through ultrawiz tools. like i said there really is no way around the bracket. i usually cut the rest of the window free then tip it out and long knife it

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com