AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Progressive and SGC

I just have to share this one,,,, yesterday did a w/s replacement for a progressive insured. It was a dear hit and slight damage to the car. It did not go through SGC. It was handled by a local claims office. Not only was the person from the claims office a total JOY to work with, we got paid in 3 hours yes 3 hours of doing the work! Friendly, courteous, and get this pricing was not an issue, so long as we kept it in the same range we would for any other co. They did not dictate price, or tell the customer they may have out of pocket expenses, or they would not warranty the work, like sgc. It was just GREAT to work together for a change to take care of a customers needs,, KINDA LIKE THE OLD DAYS! This makes me really wonder,, is it the ins co that dictates pricing,, or SGC???? this sure seems like proof that it's SGC. I hope I can deal more with local claims offices, but this was because of other damage it did not go thru sgc. It sure makes sence to me, we would ALL,(especially customers) be better off if we could have a relationship with local claims offices and NETWORKS! I explained we turn down alot of progressive, and Allstate work because of sgc and lynx. The government won't give us NON-PROFIT status!!It made the whole job fun again! This may be a good resource more of us can look into?????? Hmmm

Re: Progressive and SGC

opps typing too fast,, it was a DEER hit,, and working with local claims offices and NOT,, I repeat NOT Networks. sorry.

Uh oh XXX if GlassRx see's this he may cry.
You may have just given SGC an insight into how to keep us from dealing with claims adjuster's and making money according to him, they are all listening to us, monitoring us...sounds a little paranoid to me. I'm sure he is correct and they all monitor these forums, I just don't think we're telling them anything they don't already know, ya know?

If more glass shops would stand up for their rights and refuse to work for Progressive ( as we have)
there might be a possibility of getting them to raise their rates.

If you keep doing their work at their rates, they are right and we are wrong in complaining.

Them being who ?? safelite of progressive?

Amen IRA.

Re: Re: Progressive and SGC

You are correct we no longer will do any replacements for Progressive just repairs.

IRA...we can't simply refuse to do Progressive claims. We can pick and choose SGC faxed referrals (which has been maybe 2-3 this year, stuff they don't wanna do.) But 99% of the Progressive work we deal with is at about 10 body shops we have been servicing for years and years. In most cases the Progressive discounts that are on the Safelite contract mean nothing. The writers are told to call Safelite locally here, get a quote, and then if the body shop wants us to do it we have to match Safelite's price. Again, nothing regarding safety, quality, etc., etc.
The problem is Safelite has now started paying no attention to Progressive's pricing through SGC network and is low-balling so unbelievably it would make your head spin.

The "them" is Progressive Insurance (through Safelite).

We do work for the Safelite network but the ultra-deep discount demanded by
Progressive is unreasonable and unprofitable.

thanks for the responses and I agree totaly with IRA. We have turned down quite a few progressive jobs because they were not profitable,, but here Allstate is even worse. from taking with the person from PROGRESSIVE, they seem to understand, and some are getting a bit sick of dealing with the problems associated with sgc. I've had a couple times sgc wanted a rediculous price that was deeper discounted than normal progressive jobs and the customer would back down, wanted us and I worked it out with the co directly. I gueass what I'm trying to say, my attitude toward PROGRESSIVE has increased when I've been able to deal with them directly. Main thing I agree with IRA , and when enough shops say no to rediculous pricing things will change. And just maybe there is a way to work with local claims offices rather than sgc!

Here in our market when they were still handling claims out of the local offices we had almost all of the Alfa glass claims. Then last year Oct 5th I believe they signed on to let S@$ manage their glass program, where we used to get 5 shields a day minimum and sometimes 7-10 now we are lucky to get 15 a week, and they dropped the discount another 10% with S@$, although when we have a claim that runs through the adjuster office they still pay that 10%, uhm. Any Alfa insureds we'd done service for before will insist on us still, but new insureds are easier to steer. And alot of Alfas insureds have been with them along time and they are older, so when they call the 800 number and are told that Alfa has their own installers now, they think they are being loyal to the company. We've had alot of the agents and CSR's at the local offices tell us that they've lost alot of customers, and had alot of complaints about the installations being done by the "Alfa Installers", I think we all know who they are. I know this has nothing to do with Progressive it's just the unfair practices of S@$. Not whining just sharing.

no progressive replacements here either!!

Personally, we don't work for insurers, not until one of them drives into the shop with an insurer owned vehicle.

We have insurers on tape stating that they are basing pricing on aftermarket parts only. When asked what parts they have approved for the price they are allowing, they only respond with "WE USE (you know who)". These comments are coming from people claiming to be licensed company adjusters, not from network employees. (One even stated, when quizzed about their actual employer, that they were not only an employee of the insurer, but a stockholder. The customer quickly asked if a stockholder should be settling claims! I almost fell out of my chair laughing, but it was a VERY valid question, which received NO answer.)

When this happens, with the customer in the call, we ask for the proof that the parts they are specifying will return the car to its original condition in terms of the structural integrity and crash management and safety systems. This proof is never available, though they and (you know who) will state that their parts are OEE, defined as "Original Equipment Equivalent".

One AM mfg admitted that they had no proof of equivalence to OEM, then repeatedly tried to contact me afterwards, asking why I needed such documentation. When I explained that by contract in many cases installing shops agreed to return the vehicle to Original Structural Integrity and Design Characteristics, they again admitted that they had no such data, but supplied me with several certifications citing consistency in manufacture of their goods.

Some insurers have lost quite a few insureds around here, because they can't seem to find the clause in their policy that allows the insurer to base reimbursement on AM parts. One insurer repeatedly told the customer to "trust me, it's in there" despite the fact that the customer had his policy in hand and was demanding to know where the clause was. State law requires equivalence when the insurer specifies AM parts.

Bottom line, we don't work for any insurers, and we are quite adept at helping the customer see the value of the less expensive insurance they have purchased. Funny part is, sometimes the consumer didn't purchase the less expensive insurance.

My view is, if they can tell my customer that they "May" have to pay a difference", or that they "May" lose a warranty, or that the insurer "May" not be able to assist them as well if they come here, well, then I can tell the customer what "May" have transpired if they had purchased different insurance, or that they "May" run into Elvis.

I'm a professional, and I'm in a position to offer my opinions on insurers and claims handling, in that I see it everyday. WHat's good for the goose....

I get all of the above, agree with most of it with regard to SGC network referrals for Progressive, but we cannot turn down direct repair glass jobs at body shops for people who pay Progressive monthly/quarterly/annual insurance premiums to insure their cars, Mark1. I didn't mean Progressive insurance agents or board memebers drive the cars to body shops after a wreck. So yes we are repairing glass for Progressive insureds at direct repair body shops and others, we will not just roll over and let Safelick take these jobs away from us.

Didn't mean to imply otherwise GG.

I would say in that case, that you are working for the body shop, but that's your decision.

I don't mean to say that anyone should turn down anything. All I mean to say is that, in this case, and any others I can think of, Progressive (the insurer) is NOT contracting for repairs to the customer's car.

Progressive has come the closest to contracting for repairs for customer's cars with repair shops directly, through their Concierge Program for collision repairs. However, they are not actually saying this, and in fact, they are getting permission from the customer to "handle" the repairs for them.

In some people's opinion, while this is treading very close to contracting for repairs, Progressive is banking that if something goes wrong, they will only be held to a degree of negligence in any decision or award, rather than the full amount. It's likely a given that the shop agrees to hold Progressive harmless if anything goes wrong, and the shop has agreed to properly repair cars to preloss condition, ect ect ect, and is being performance checked to see how closely the shop follows the original Progressive estimate for repairs, yada yada yada.....

But the point is, the insurer is still not the shops customer in the vast majority, if not all of, the scenarios we see in glass. We just think that way, many times to our detriment, because we are following the money, rather than our fiduciary responsibility, and our own liability. Insurers have stated repeatedly in court that they don't repair cars, they only pay to have cars repaired, dramatically illustrating that they will toss the shop under the proverbial bus if anything ever goes wrong, and have done exactly that many times.

Again, I would never suggest anyone turn down work, just know where your primary duty lies, and where your minimum profit margins are, referencing the other string on that subject. If a biz can satisfy both of these goals, you're way ahead of the game in my opinion, and have your feet planted firmly on the road to the future in this biz.

JMHO

At a few of the body shops I service, progressive has started to use belron as the price fixer... I want to be optimistic... it will get better...

Yes Progressive is a pick & choose Ins. Co.
What happens if we only accept the profitable jobs from Progressive and SGC who by contract must do the $$ losers? Will SGC be forced to reneg on the contract?
Will Progressive have to pay more $$ to get glass replacements?
Hmmm

It's as simple as this...all progressives advertising revolves around being the lowest cost/price insurer in the game. They can give you rate quotes from 3 other insurance companies blah blah blah...Well if you are the kind of company that does business like them and says call three other glass shops to get quotes and then call me I gaurentee I will be the lowest, or "I will beat any price" you have yourself to thank for the way our industry is the way it is.

You see when there are lowballers in any market we all suffer. Except for me of course...I have been explaining to the customer what they get for their money when they buy from me. And it sure as hell aint a box of steaks, or a leaky windshield replacement. My guys are never put into the position of overbooked appointments, I have never seen them once cutting corners because they know that we charge a little bit more and they know to take the time and do it right the first time!!!

SGC and Progressive have wal mart like qualities to them, if you choose to do business with them expect the least and the worst. And quit the whining.

Hey GlassRX
Maybe a little powder in your shorts will ease your irritation. Then maybe you will get off your podium and stop talking down to every one. If you don’t like this site stop coming here.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY OPINION GRIN AND BEAR IT

GlassRx Your opinions are welcome.
Your condescending answers, holier then thou attitude combined with your rudeness make you an unappealing participant here.
AND YOUR SHOUTING IS NOT INTIMIDATING

Hey Sglass, I have suggested he change his name to "preacher", he thinks obviously from his RX that he has the "prescription" for all problems....that his is the only valid opinion, as he trashes everyone else's. And you are correct, he is patronizing and does talk down to everyone, I mean come on , check out his post's the ones he's started hell people are all over him, and he still acts self rightgeous. I informed him that there is a thread regarding other forums I'm sure he can find somewhere his preaching might be welcome, at least this forum would be rid of him. GlassRx are you starting to get the sense that it isn't just me who has a problem with you....no one wants to hear your "know it all, do it like me or your a loser crap" or your bragging about your fancy neighborhood. Man if you talk to your employees like you do the well meaning, non suspecting individuals who come here to talk, offer help or just vent. I'm betting they're not the happy group of men eager to do a perfect job everytime just to please you, that you represent. You say you're not telling people how to run their businesses, or that you don't care how they run them, yet you continue to repeat the quote "then you are why our industry is the way it is" referring to the rest of us, especially the mobile shops, or anyone whose agreed to a contract with the TPA's. Go on and mind your own business, if that's truly all you care about and stay out of everyone else's, as you should be able to tell by now very few if any one cares to hear you "preacher".

LOL

I MAY NOT HUMBLE WHEN IT COMES TO BUSINESS, I TAKE IT RATHER SERIOUSLY AND THAT IS WHAT HAS MADE ME A SHREWD BUSINESS MAN.

Yet again, you miss the point! It's not about how seriously you take business, or how successful you've been. It's just your personality that bothers people.

INTERESTING TAKE SIR. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com