AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
97 Ford Windstar Windshield Buzzing????

Has anyone had a customer tell them that their windstar windshield DW 1252 GBY was buzzing? It's not leaking, set is correct, install looks beautiful. Used PPG glass. Doesn't do it all the time. I'm wondering if maybe the molding might be doing this.?????????? Any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: 97 Ford Windstar Windshield Buzzing????

Take it for a spin with molding taped down, see if that eliminates the buzzing. If so, U418 or similar glue will work great.

I wont be able to see the vehicle until tomorrow. But that was what I was thinking. Customer told me the glass looks better than the original did and the tech that did the install has been installing since they created glass, (LOL). I do know that sometimes on the bonded windshields, the moldings aren't quite as flush as the ones from the mfg. I'm thinking that maybe air is catching under the lip of the molding when he is driving in to the wind. I'm going to try that and see what happens. Unfortunately, this is a State Farm job. . Thanks.

The "bonded" molding on a W1252 is just an upper that is butyl'd on, could easily be flapping around a little bit. I normally order a GBN and get an OE molding.

We did one of these had same problem. Everything look perfect no water leaks. had to take it out found the glue on driver side post had rolled and created small pin hole .

I know, I just thought maybe it was the top molding that was the problem. It's worth a try. This is the first time I have had a problem with one of these. Just don't want to have to pull the shield if I don't have too. Hopefully, it is just a pinhole up top.

Thanks for all your help!!

try putting crytox or vaseline on underside of molding where it hits the body. Same problem on 1269 and 1270 and 1319

Never had a problem like this on Sunfire's or Ford's, but it might just be worth a try. Thanks for all the ideas!

CAVALIER W/S's now have pre-applied anti-squeak crud on it...

And exactly what is pre-applied anti leak crud?
would this work on fan belt squeaks instead of tightening the buckle too?

Sglass...if you don't know or haven't heard of it I am not about to explain it now. It was a big problem when those shields came out and the mfgs. coated 'em with something, I am not an engineer.

Does the noise sound like blowing a piece of grass between your thumbs?? If this is the noise the air is coming up the bottom of the A-pillar between the molding and pinchweld causing a reed sound, had those back on the earlier Taurus. What happens is the molding gets hot, soft and acts like a reed.

To determine: take 2 inches of foam dam tape or butyl and put it under the molding doen on the pinchweld, to stop the air from coming up, approx three inches up on each side, if it stops than put a dab of urethane on the foam block and molding to hold it there. If you used the butyl you are done.

DO NOT USE KRYTOX, you cannot remove it!

I'll let you know after I check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have seen factory sets that when we cut them out there was a small bead of clear silicone near the lower part of a-pillar. maybe ford knew they whistled there?

That's right xxx, they went from silicone to small foam blocks.
You can use the foam spacer blocks, they make for a neater job.

Sorry, just a little confused here. The subject is for a 97 Windstar and DW1252 is listed. A DW1252 fits a Quest/Villager. A Windstar w/s is a DW1257 and they only come GBY. I have seen both PPG and Pilkington use an ExacTrim moulding on their glass and they never lay right on the body. Especially on the sides and that could be the problem. I am probably the most picky freek about the quality of the glass that I install, and I must say that any glass with an ExacTrim moulding on it is not worth ten cents. Believe it or not, PPG here in Jacksonville has DW1257's from China with some EPDM moulding on it that actually looks pretty good once in the van. The factory w/s has a Rehau mldg on it and the only w/s's that have that are Carlite and sometimes Pilkington. But like I said with Pilkington, you won't know what moulding you are getting until you get the glass. Good luck. Put some U418 under the mldg and that should fix your problem.

Man, was I having a bad day yesterday or what? LOL!! Sorry everyone, it is a Mercury Villager. Had the right part #, just listed the wrong vehicle. It was one of those "anything that can, will days" Sorry.

YES ford had a problem with the moulding making noise. Not as many as the Taurus but we have glued 100 or more of these for the ford dealers. The moulding vebrates against the glass. A bead of urethane behind the moulding going up the A pillers will normally solve this.

If the urethane bead is to heavy, and the glass is sitting higher than it should ( further away from the body )
the air flowing over the molding can create a vacuum which can raise the back of the molding (not the front)
which then flaps up and down.

If taping it down solves the problem, glue the back of the molding down.

I finally got a chance to look at this vehicle. Turns out the customers kid had put a straw wrapper up there somehow on the inside, couldn't see it from the outside. Somehow the air coming in had caught the wrapper and was blowing it straight up where he couldn't see it. Removed the wrapper, NOISE GONE!! LOL!!

Thanks for all your help everyone. You provided some very good suggestions. Hope this might help someone else who runs across a similar situation.!!

That's like the 3 customers a week that come here for chip repair and I wipe the bug splatter off with a blade and send them on their way.

I know, but without seeing it, I had no way of knowing. LOL!! It was nice seeing all of the ideas coming in responding to this though.

What i do on shield like this with these iggnorant moldings is run a very small bead on the glass to the molding before i install that way it never comes off etc.. the 1505 gby ppg has been like this

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com