AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1 day off

been working seven days a week. decide to close my shop yesterday. went to the forest kick back relax and let out about a thousand round,man that feels good
will today back to work

Re: 1 day off

I'm holding off until dead of winter.dec 22 thru jan6 or so. Been waiting and saving for almost 10 years, will rub our feet in the sands of MAUI. anyone else can get there we can have a meeting of the minds!!!

Life is way to short to work 7 days a week.
Don't live to work.
Work to live.

Yeah but sometimes you just have to do to be where you want to be! I wish I could join you in Maui!!!

WOW I CANT IMAGINE WORKING 7 DAYS A WEEK (I'M NOT KNOCKING ANYBODY) . WE USED TO KEEP ALL OF OUR SHOPS OPEN 6 DAYS A WEEK (WE ONLY WORKED HALF A DAY ON STURDAYS) BUT AFTER A LITTLE PEN TO PAPER WORK I REALIZED THAT IT WAS COSTING US MORE TO BE OPEN ON SATURDAYS THAN WE MADE .BESIDES THAT IT GOT TO THE POINT IT WAS HARD TO GET THE GUYS TO WORK ON SATURDAY.I EVEN TRIED DO A ROTATING SCHEDULE FOR SAT. BUT FOUND IT TO BE TO MUCH OF A HASLE .
I LIKE WHAT SGLASS SAID "WORK TO LIVE ,DONT LIVE TO WORK" MY DAD USED TO LIVE BY THAT MOTTO HE USED TO HAVE IT HANGING UP IN THE SHOP BUT I SINCE HAVE MOVED IN TO MY OFFICE.

There IS such a thing as a DAY OFF???????????? LOL!!

Even when I am "officially" closed, my phone lines are forwarded to my cell.

same thing for me. i do pick up my phone after hours. one man shop 7 days a week.

7-5 Mon-Fri. The weekends we try to have a life that we all work hard for, like you guys.

I work allot of hours & have only taken about 5 days off in the last 5 years(If I work Saturdays or Sundays its just to catch up and I'm not counting holidays). I became a cherry picker when my csr left for better benefits 1 1/2 years ago. My phones are forwarded to my cell but I let it go to voice mail if my cell doesn't recognize the #. I don't have time to give estimates all day to the general public(I'm not a low baller, my gross profit margin is around 70%). I still maintain(make that have, my office is a mess since the csr left) a physical location(although I'm not usually there) . I am what's left of a mid sized independent auto glass operation that has done whatever it takes to survive. I do well but it is only because of the 30 years I spent building relationships that enable me to not be affected by what Safelite,Lynx or the guy working out of the back of his pickup for a 12 pack does anymore. I could hire an installer and grow a bit but I really don't want to until the climate changes in the industry. Besides, I don't really miss having employees.

P.S.

I don't live to work. I live to put my kids through college. Daycare was a piece of cake.

Hey,Nothing wrong with trying to make money ,I too still have all calls for both locaions forwarded to my cell but I try to schedule every thing Mon-Fri.Dont get me wrong if its a easy job and I have all the parts in stock than I'll do it but I charge an after hours service charge

YOU GOT IT GLASSGOD (M-F / 8-5) NO FORWARDED CALLS, NO MACHINE, THE WEEKENDS ARE FOR RECOVERY. IF I DON'T RECOVER I'D BE WORTHLESS ON MONDAY'S, WHICH IS OUR BUSIEST DAY. AND I'M NOT EVEN THE OWNER, BUT I TEND TO TAKE MY JOB HOME WITH ME AND WORRY NIGHTS, ABOUT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, DID I REMEMBER TO ORDER URETHANE? DID I CALL THAT GUY BACK ON THAT MIRROR QUOTE? IS THERE ENOUGH $$$ IN THE PAYROLL ACCOUNT, ETC, ETC, ETC....

Starting my 15th year without a vacation as of 8-17-06.The only time i get 4 days is on thanksgiving(got to hunt sometime).

Here is my opinion,
Why do you people work so much, its not like the world will stop if a customer waits a day or two for their glass. This industry has the most self abusing people I have ever seen. Just look at how much time off other people get at office jobs, government work, union workers, even Mcdonalds. Is your time less vaulable then everyone elses? Is your family less important to you then it is to other people? People Stop and smell the Roses, there will still be broken glass when you get back.

VT...........after 15 years without a vacation, I'm glad to hear you are going at least once a year and killing something. Otherwise it could be bad for your health

what word vacation mean me work all time have to with 8 kids they expensive funny though all look like mailman

Hey AG

As long as you are saving for Maui. save a little extra for a helicopter ride around the island......it's awesome !!!

i have just realized recently that i am not getting any younger and need to spend time with my family. i now work 9-5 m-f. and usually take at least one friday or monday off per month for a three day weekend. and i have actually raised my prices enough to where i do about 2-4 w/s per day. much easier on my body, and i actually make alot more money than doing 5-6 a day for $50 less per job.

Right on BQA, charge more work less thats my motto. How many hours a week do you think an insurance suit works? And I am sure they get 4 to 5 weeks vacation a year, see the thing is nobody misses them when they are not at work. People do miss the workers in a service industry though, thats why your work is more valuable than you think. CHARGE FOR YOUR SERVICE

Rich; The reason i work so hard is from the way i was brought up.Workaholic you might say,i really try not to be,but, with fleet accounts that can "only" be done either after hours or on a saturday.Mail order flat glass that needs to be cut,ground and polished,packaged and shipped,Street rods or vintage cars that can be only worked on when i don't have any urethane on me(this means early mornings)Not to mention what goes on 8-5.I'm not saying that i'm totally busy either.Alot of the above work is time consuming.I charge accordingly,in fact my cash quotes are in the higher range for our area and competition.
Besides;i have two kids who have given me collegeitus pains(thankfully the third did'nt catch it).
I don't mind working.Gives me something to do.

There is nothing wrong with a good work ethic, I am just saying if you are working that much I hope you enjoy it. If you are working 7 days a week I hope you are making a ton of money and saving lots for when you decide to retire. I personaly would work 7 days I week unless I am making in the $500,000 a year range, there are too many other things to enjoy in life.

The only time i work on a sunday is to catch up on the street rod,older car work in my shop.Other than that sundays are for family.Sure not making the big bucks,but i enjoy (on the most part)what i do and earn just enough to survive(i'm not interested in owning the world).AS for saturdays,it is by prior appt. only(i sure won't open the shop,just for the fun of it).
It's been so long since my last vaca,i would'nt know what to do on one anymore.It's not like i need time with my wife;heck;i see her every day at work(and everytime i enter the office she just brightens up my day).

if my wife worked here I would for sure need more time off

IRA, it's my wife and I who are saving to go, and we will check out the helicopter ride. The only vacation I have ever taken is to take my kids and or family hunting. Have never taken more than about 5 days before, too worried about the business and customers. I have finally got it in my head there will still be work when we get back. We will close the store for 2 weeks. it really isn't going to be as expensive as I thought. 4 of us are going and it will run about 1700 per person, thats air, condo, and a car for 1 week. I'm going to visit every glass shop on the island, wish a few others could go, be easier to write it off!!! who knows maybe some one there needs a good manager, and I'll sell off here in MN, and stay! I wonder what prices and tpa's are like there???? Quess I'll find out,,, hmmm I'll bring back some sand and mail it out to those who wish they could rub thier toes in the stuff!!!

Hey, I thought you were going on vacation? LOL!! You are as bad as me. The last time we went on vacation (long time ago), my husband said, we are NOT talking glass until we get back home. 30 miles down the road I got, did the guy with the ford p-u want the slider or the regular back glass? I haven't let him live that one down yet!! LOL!! Hope you have a wonderful time when you go!!!

I'm very fortunate to work for a guy who just shuts the door every year for the week of the 4th of July, we set up the machine and go our seperate ways. No worries mate, he says its the only way he can relax and know for sure nothing is going wrong. It kind of sucks having vacation at the same time every year, especially a peak time like the 4th of July. But hey it's a paid vacatin, so I'm not complaining.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com