AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ford Fusion

Had a problem with the fit of a PPG DW1622 the other day. It was to high in the center. Was unsure at first since the roof had been replaced but the Carlite DW1622 fit perfectly. I am not knocking PPG because I rarely have a fit problem with their products. Just wanted everyone to be aware there may be a problem with this particular windshield.

Re: Ford Fusion

ALso watch out for SOME of the DW1217 by ppg we got two in the last week that the encapsulation was pulling off of and the side mouldinds kept falling off the glass. This is the first time we had this problem with the ppg 1217.

Re: Ford Fusion

Can't say I have seen this on the Fusion yet, but I have seen it before.

As a rule, I always dry fit PPGs. Have seen your problem before. I recall years ago when we had a bunch of Carlite by PPG 1099s. THey were curved so bad, that the glass would nearly touch the pinchweld in the top corners and stand 5/8" off in the top center.

I accept PPG glass right now only if it is DOT 18. Those have not had any troubles. I refuse to use PPG in most Ford encapsulated apps, they have too many problems with curling up molding corners. I do quite a few re-do's from another shop that uses a lot of PPG, and I often wonder if he knows how many come back that he isn't seeing because we are doing them. I politely tell the customer what the problem is, and always try warming the molding corners to reform them back down before replacement.

And in fairness to PPG, I have seen this curve issue pop up now and again with other mfgs, but rarely.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com