AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New NAGS pricing (don't kill the messenger)

The new NAGS list prices go into effect September 11, 2006. The list price will change on 10256 parts; this does not include parts that previously did not have a list price or parts that will no longer have a list price, these are parts that had a list price on the 05/08/06 NAGS update and also have a list price on the 09/11/06 update. The average price change is -$6.90 or -2.4%.

Re: New NAGS pricing (don't kill the messenger)

It makes sense. All of our costs have been going down, right? NAGS is like the UN. They like to screw the guy that pays their way.

f nags.... I don't know if this would be true in this case but after a product has been on the market for a certain period of time and becomes a standard (as in Nags part numbers) it becomes public domain. Why can't we just take their part numbers and make a new pricing system off of it?

Because that would be a violation of their copyrights.

yes but after something becomes a standard, it becomes public domain and since it is just numbers and not a product I think it can be taken from them since it has been adopted by an entire indusrty.

I actually like NAGS, Bud oliver is a good guy. The new NAGS works perfect for me, but really the way I price my work it has never changed as i HAVE NEVER used nags to formulate my cash price. As far as the insurance you can run a report on LYNX (or use to be able to) and it will tell you your average invoice vs the pre re balancing... and mine was almost within pennies dead on but actually more.

Larry

Rich, depite what ya think it is copyrighted just like a novel, book, etc., and cannot be copied w/o permission.

no its not like a novel, that would be intellectual property. A group of numbers to name parts that has become a standard becomes public domain. Its like the first person who named a headlight a headlight, that became a standard term for the light on the front of a car.

Sorry my friend, it is copyrighted, end of story. Try printing your own, let NAGS know you're doing it, then good luck. A public domain doesn't fall in copyrighted material category.

How can they in good conscientious increase our user fees but decrease the list prices. What ever happen to CPI indexing?

Shame on you NAGS

here read this... as nags part numbers are just sequntial numbers on when a new w/s is produced it lacks the minimal level of creativity required for copyright protection.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Here’s a brief review of the Southco case. The claim was in the parts numbers (for “captive” fasteners), not in the compilation thereof. Examples of the numbers are:
47 – 10 – 202 – 10
47 – 11 – 502 – 10
47 – 10 – 502 – 50
47 – 12 – 502 - 50
47 – 62 – 501 - 20

In this sequence, 47 tells one that the part is captive fasterner. The other numbers refer to the thread size, the composition of the screw (e.g. aluminum), and the finish of the knob. Defendant was alleged to have copied 51 of plaintiff’s parts numbers. Applying Feist, the panel, per Judge Alito, found that “the creative spark is utterly lacking in Southco’s parts numbers and [thus] these numbers are examples of works that fall short of the minimal level of creativity required for copyright protection.” The basis for this conclusion was set out in the court’s factual description of plaintiffs nine-digit code.

Print your own, notify NAGS, get a lawyer.

I would just be using the part numbers not their pricing. Their method of pricing can be copyrighted.

Why would I need a lawyer I am sure Nags already knows you can't copyright part numbers

Rich is 100% correct.

WHAT HAPPEND TO CAGG? I THOUGHT THEY WHERE GOING TO COME UP WITH A NEW PRICING STRUCTURE.

Yeah DL whats poppin with that? I like it the way it is, hold off till I retire in 10 years!

Seems the Chicago group has expired from exhaustion. Haven't heard a peep for months. Maybe the board of Chicago group is too busy making money with the current NAGS list to bother with changing the Industry. Chicago is dead.

Still alive. Still working. Quite a bit going on behind the scenes. Sorry to be vague.

Chicago Glass Shops are not dead!! We are thinkers and until we can figure out something out we just keep collecting ideas on here for the ultimate plan of action.
What I just dont understand is that all shops do not use the same brands of glass and just like tires the different manufacturers use different list prices. Why is this not the same for auto glass????? NAGS is NOT realistic. It is not only killing our business, it is effecting our jobs and families. Call any tire shop and ask for a price for 4 tires and they will give you different pricing for different brands of tires and that works. The list price for a wndshield etc. should be from the manufacturer ONLY and then we should be able to add our labor, moulding and urethane.

We know the solution to this problem, we just have to figure out how to solve it before its too late. Someone has to know somebody somewhere that can do something about saving the independant glass shops. Service, Quality and fair prices is all we are asking for.

They are talking about CAGG - the Chicago Auto Glass Group - not Chicago glass shops in general. They have been working on formulating a solution to the current pricing situation but little has been heard from them since the initial announcement at the IGA show a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the information.

what happened to the cagg anouncement that was to be made this summer? I agree I think they just decided they cant do it Nags has us all on lock down.

NAGS has nothing to do with the delay. It is a long process and one that has to be right the first time out. Both strategically and functionally.

I agree but CAGG still needs to keep people informed and update the website more than just once a year. You will find that if you stay fresh in our memories that we may tend to pay more attention to CAGG IF and WHEN they come up with a plan. Until than everyone else is going to think its just a big joke or a scare tactic for NAGS (which by the way isnt vary scared)

DL i am for the good of all not just myself... so get r done!

A) Whether or not NAGS is "scared" doesn't really play into anything.

B) You are correct regarding our communication efforts. We are a volunteer organization; the amount of time that has gone into the actual design and strategy is massive, our marketing efforts have been a bit light.

All I can say is the project is still very much in the works and will be announced (go or no go) when it is ready.

thanks for tryin'....keep it up.

DL you need me to do marketing :) I'll get everyone buzzing :) I will give my time & money to the cause.. and mabey **** a few people off along the way :)

DL- I'm not trying to P*** you or anyone else off ,I was just trying to let you guys Know how a few of your registered supporters in the Texas area (my self included) feel.

If its a matter of funding and you guys need donations to help this thing along Bachman and I would probably be the first two in line.

If it was as simple as funding, we would have "got 'er done" a couple of years ago, but thanks for that. There might be a funding request at some point, but there will be a clear presentation first.

It is a very complicated issue and takes a great deal of consensus and comprimise from all different areas of the market to make a truly useful tool. All I can say is that we are working at it, from the highest levels of the industry as is practical at this point.

It will make sense when it is announced.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com