AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
thoughts on mobile glass business

I currently work for one of the corporate auto glass companies and I'm not particularly happy with the way they've been treating their people. I am considering starting my own mobile auto glass business and just going solo. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Thanks

Re: thoughts on mobile glass business

Are you starting your own business or just becoming a sub contractor relying on other peoples business?

Hey nija gimme a shout on my email ... i'll help you in the right direction bro.

Well, we started out mobile only and had thought about going back to mobile only but who knows .
When we started out I done it all my self ,but eventually ended up having to hire some help and and this is kind of odd when you have a strange women in you home all day (Wife territory thing) .
1.Make shure you have a quite home office.
2. Get Biz Ins.

go for it. i myself started mobile service for 4yrs, now
i have a shop. work for yourself make a lot more money,make your own hours. good luck,you be ok

You sound young so, Get out...GEt out...GET out now do something else. If you won't listen to reason then, hard work, devotion to quality and good customer relations will get you by. GET A HELPER so you don't burn out fast. Remember you are not just an installer now. You are the Chief, Cook, and Bottle washer.

Thanks for your responses. I rec'd a decent offer from another company this weekend and I think I'm going to take it. However, I definitley want to start my own sooner rather then later. I know guys who have done it and been very successful. I have a lot of the necessary tools. I would just need a few of the more expensive power tools and a mobile vehicle. I have a pick up truck...any thoughts on van vs. truck?

Ninja- I like Vans it keeps everything nice and dry .,but some shields may not fit so well depending on the size and type. A truck is nice becasue you if you have a cabover Isuzu Truck you can drop the gate and haul the glass and even stand on the gate to set the glass. The best thing to do is use what you can afford ,if you got a truck use it for a year or until you can buy some thing else.

That was what I was thinking. Use my truck for now and buy a van down the road when I'm up and running for awhile. That way I minimize my initial investment in case it doesn't work out for some reason. Thanks!

The big guys sure have a way of cutting back that makes everyone a little P.O.'d. Before you go out on your own you might ask yourself if you have enough sources of business. Where will your jobs come from? Do you have enough contacts to keep the phone ringing? How will you build your business so that you can afford a van and a helper? Decide on your tools and then get serious about where the biz will come from. (IMHO). Good Luck.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com