AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
GEL PADS - HELP!

Hi ya'll! ... we're having a GM (what's new?) rain sensor gel pad issue for the '07 Tahoes et.al.. Has anyone come across an adequate replacement for the pad only?..... It irks me to have to buy the whole darn thing! ... Our customers are not amused with the additional charges.....

Annnnnnnnnnd can anyone explain to me why auto designers can't figure out that at some point glass & their relative parts will have to be replaced; so why not design with that in mind

Re: GEL PADS - HELP!

The auto designers did figure it out. They came up with something that the Chinese, or anyone local (lol) can't easily duplicate.

And, they get to sell parts for it too.

Can you blame them?

As to your question, we're researching the same thing.

What is the problem with the original tape? Not coming off clean? 3M makes a clear mounting tape. We have used this for other applications and have not had a complaint. Maybe this will work for the DW1659. Most hardware stores carry it. Some times you can heat the outside of the glass and the sensor pad will come off clean and can be reused. HTH

If you read my message on this you would have known there is an issue with them, you have to replace the whole rain sensor.. email me i can fax u service bullentin..

Mark, If we find anything, i'll let you know.

Look at previous post..GM is working on this situation...it's still on national b-order as of this week when I checked.
-
http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/2036554146/show/586260

Yeah, I know they're working on it. I was just hoping that there was a pad from a different vehicle that we could use instead, while they're figuring it out.... There must not be though...... If anybody could have found something, it would have been Waldo. And if Waldo knew, you would be the first to know.....

dog gone it!

IB...We didn't even look at one yet, Wally was hoping too last week but the chick didn't believe me and went somewhere else....

pads now available from pilkington-pads and lenses from GM.

Dealer told me a month or so ago that there were over 400 at their warehouse.
Did anyone see the new tools from Gold Glass? They are in this months PPG flyer. Have them but haven't had the chance to do any testing yet.
Just for note, we have been 90% successful with using heat on the opposite side of the glass to get them off. The least success has been with the round VW pads. You just have to heat it and let it slowly generate the heat thru the glass and to the pad. Gentle persuasion and off they come.
We also decided to just keep at least one of each pad in stock just in case. It's better than having a customer come back because it won't work or like the one case we had, the wipers wouldn't stop!! YIKES!!

I have the new part # for these and the service bullentincall me 877 922 7488 x231 i will fax it 2 u

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com