AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
WHEN IS IT TOO HOT???

WHEW! It's 97 in the shade and the humidity is way up in the 80's so it feels like 110. I can't imagine doing installs out in the sun. I would think the primers and urethane would set TOO FAST! Anyone know what would be too hot for primers and urethane??? I know even doing chip repair, it's good to cool the glass to the 70-80- range but man doing installs in this heat I would think you'd spend more time wiping off the sweat than working. what about sweat dripping into your work, on the pinchweld and on the glass? I hope all installers have about 3 gallons of water with them and a couple dozen sweat rags. Dry heat wouldn't be so bad but the humidity of Minn has us really cookin'! When is it too HOT for you? We are closing early and heading for the lake!

Re: WHEN IS IT TOO HOT???

I can remmember a number of years ago,I was installing a w/s in an older bmw 325(rubber set),This was before suction cups were used on the w/s.As i was leaning over the car to set the glass into the rubber it snapped right in half on me.That's when it's too hot.

It's TOO HOT in Wisconsin too!..... We're letting our guys go too...... The poor guys look like they're going to drop at any minute...........

Auto Glass Technicians REALLY DO earn their money....

Some primers are only useable up to 80 temp others up to 110 temp. Have to check primer specs.

Our AZ guys work in the heat all the time, there MEN :) thank god cause i am not getting out in this heat!! They also start at 5am...

Work smarter, not harder. We try to keep our men outta the direct sun as much as possible and provide all the water/Gatorade (and beer when done) they can drink.

108 with a heat index of 116. Went and did a dark colored car earlier this week that had hit a turkey. even with gloves on could feel the extreme heat off the black band of the windshield when i wnet to sit it out of the vehicle. Have big red marks on my forearms where i touched the roof while removeing the moulding and cutting it out. moved it under a tree for some shade, but even after almost twenty minutes of vacumming the broken glass it was to hot to prime or even touch the metal of the car with bare skin.

Use a pop up inclosed solar reflective tent with a power inverter to run a fan (it keeps it about 10-12 degrees cooler) ,We have a tech that uses one.He takes a little longer to set up for the job but he is the only tech that dont come back peeved because of the heat. It is kind of a problem though when it takes him three times as long to do a job then the other tech but he mainly does the dealer reconditioning lots from noon to close.

SBOK why not get a nice foam pad to put on the hood when setting the shield will make one heck of a difference.. Also another thing we do is get plain water in a squirt bottle and spray down the shield in az, helps really cool it down.. Friggin hot weather!!

It is to hot when the primer bubbles and urethane doesnt stick, my competitor installs in all conditions and I make lots of money fixing his screwups, why would you risk your employees health or a customers installation for a few bucks it has been 115-122 around here we do them in shop we pick them up or early am. Do it right sleep at night if you have any morrels

Well we dont have 122 degree weather in N. Texas but we have never had any isues with come any type of come back from the tech I mentioned in the above post and I sleep just fine at night.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com