AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DW 1302 & 1303

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A GOOD WAY TO DO THESE OR ANY TRICKS

Re: DW 1302 & 1303

I do quite a few of these, and I haven't found any shortcuts, the only thing I can say is just charge a lot for them since they are very time consumming.

Freightliner half shields with the wicked bend??? If you have access to an extractor or something of the sort would be the best way to do these. Can be used on the whole job without damaging other side.I do a few of these a week.

I do several of these a month. I use an extractor with the thin long blade. It bends better around the curve so you don't end up sitting there whacking away at the incapsulation and not cutting urethane. Make sure you use a lot of lubricant...I have found that SIKA-Slick works very well. No short cuts though...there is only one way I have found. Lube it up and start chopping away.

I do ten to fifteen of these a week. First, get a small bit holder and load it with the bits and socket you will need. You will be using a Fien knife for the cut out. Carry everything with you in one trip. Remove the outer trim. Jump up on the wheel and take down the rubber covering the shield. Use your Fien knife and score the urethane around the edge of the windshield on the outside. Jump down off the wheel. Starting at the bottom corner, cut toward the center on the bottom as far as you can go...maybe six inches. Then cut up along the side as far as you can reach from the ground. Jump up into the door and cut up the rest of the side to the top. When you get to the top corner, make several cuts, each one deeper than the last until your blade has penetrated as far as it will go. Now jump into the seat and beging in the top center, cutting toward the outside. Come back and cut the rest of the top to the center. Come down the center to the bottom corner and then come across the bottom. Give the shield a good shove. It should all be loose except for the top outside corner. With it hanging loose, you will now have enough room to get to that last little bit of eurethane. Chuck the old windshield. Jump up on the wheel again and remove the old eurethane with your Fien knife. Prep the pinchweld. Run your glue and set the new shield. Put it all back together and your done. I have these down to twenty minutes, doing it right, and taking no shortcuts.

I have not used a fein knife since they came out years ago, what can you tell me about "todays fein knives" and what blades do you use. We use the express tool on these, but would be interested in your thoughts on the fein. These are a pain, and take us 45min to 1 hour

I like the new version of the fien knife. I use the straight blade that is about six inches long. I break off the roller that is attached. It just gets in the way. You have to be careful not to let the knife overheat. There is a fan built in, but the air intakes are in a spot where your hands tend to want to be. As long as you don't cover those, it doesn't overheat. Cover them up, and the electronic board inside cooks. Learned that one the hard way. You also don't want to force the knife. Light to medium pressure will get the job done. If you force it, it will damage the tool.

The main thing with these windshields is to just do a ton of them. I hated them for the longest time. Once I started to do them all the time, I paid attention and developed a process. Believe it or not, the have gotten so easy that I would rather do one of these than almost anything else. Find a trucking company that uses these trucks. We do Arrow, PAM Dedicated and JB Hunt, so there aren't many days when I don't do one. They generate good consistent business for us.

Jb Hunt King_ where are you located, We used to hand PAM , JB , Freymiller, and Western Flyer Express in Oklahoma City , I even drove for Don Freymiller and also drove for Western Flyer for about a year before I got back into glass.

We do a few of the 1302/03 for Swift its just as easy to use a hammer

JB HUNT KING you sure do alot of jumping around on theses trucks.We use the extractor and cut them all from the inside.The full cut method takes me about 30 mins

I'm in Ohio. I don't jump around all that much. Twice onto the wheel and twice into the cab. As for your method, watch ten guys do the same job and you will see ten different ways to get it done...all of them correct. I say whatever works for you is the best way. The important thing is to share what we know so everyone's job can get a little easier.

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com