AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Primer vs. primerless

I know this has been brought up before,but,where can i find IN WRITING where you have to prime the w/s when using primerless urethane?The new urethane chart that is out still says that you do not need to prime glass prior to the installation.
Nowhere could i find a statement that the urethane manufacture says to prime all structurally bonded glass.
When i brought this subject up at a senate meeting,i heard a glass shop manager say "don't listen to him",I did'nt have any evidence to back me up at the time.Really need to know if i'm right or wrong.
btw,i use essex betaone and express.If i can save a little money by using essex 418 so be it.I know all the car manufactures require the use of primers and if that is the case why is primerless urethane sold to the aftermarket?And used by alot of companies out there.

Re: Primer vs. primerless

IMHO, you won't find what you're looking for.

I believe that that all this about primering glass when using primerless urethane is a misunderstanding.

I think it started when some urethane manufacuterers clarified that their primerless urethanes were "primerless TO GLASS", but you still had to primer the body if you weren't going to directly apply to the existing trimmed urethane bed.

Many OEM installantions are primerless to the body urethanes, many aren't. If you move to adhere outside of the original trimmed bead, due to the robot wandering on the OEM install, or due to new paint during body work, you must primer the body even with primerless to glass urethanes, is the message they were trying to get out, I believe.

I could be mistaken also about the misunderstanding, but I have seen nothing from any urethane mfg about priming glass when using primerless to glass urethanes.

You need to research the study that showed UV light will break down the urethane in a short # of years.
Urethane will stick to the glass but sunlight still penetrates the frits. That is why primer is Black. Press your urethane Rep. on this point. He will try not to say it but will have to admit it in the end.

Skip the rep. go direct
If you use Dow then contact the chemist or the technical dept.

Dow Automotive
555 Gaddis Boulevard
Dayton, Ohio 45403
Ph. 937-254-1550
Fx. 937-254-3779
www.dowautomotiveaftermarket.com

800-453-3779

Thanks for the info.IN my 30yrs have only had one(1) rep stop by the shop.So skipping the rep is easy.

Why not use a good company like sika, they will provide you with training etc... PS if your on LYNX your supposed to be certified in your urethane. Why not check the manufactures web site? Call the company and tell them your rep is asleep at the wheel... and to get one out there ASAP. They do not want you to mis install a windshield cause they do not want the liability.. Even ESSEX who i can not stand has a nice training program, so does srp

sglass,
sika's aktivator is clear not black, and in 12+ years of using it i haven't had one come loose from the urethane breaking down due to UV coming through frit.

Just under 20 years using Dow.

Never a failure or problem, I'm in a pretty tough weather environment too, from -42 to +112, mostly low humidity. They listen, respond, and train when asked always. Super people, great products, great support.

We follow their directions to the letter, and I would think there would be some interesting replies if you tell them you are using glass primer with primerless to glass urethanes. I just can't believe a rep would tell you to do this.

As to the UV issue, this is true, but I would think that you should shelf the 418 on a WS that has no frit.

I would like to speak to/hear from the rep that says to primer glass when using 418 and ask for the written instructions that say so.

Question: How do do a mobile install in under 40 temp when no manufacturer make a pinchwld primer that performs properly under 4o degrees?

MINUS 42 degrees, I think Mark wrote......

He will be in contact with you by the end of the week.I will be sure to tell greg that.

end 'o week is tomorrow

yup!!!

Greg who and what wsa the problem you had?

Re: Re: Primer vs. primerless

Sika is the only manufacturer who will let you apply primers below 40 degrees.The training says it will take around 20 minutes instead of 10,or dry to touch.

There was something out a few weeks ago about priming glass when using 418. I called in and was told that I had to use primer on glass withn no frit (naked glass). Glass with frit didn't need primer.

I find the statement Sika will let you apply primer under 40 temp interesting. If you go to the website and check the specs on primer, they say minimum application temp is 40. Most frits still let uv light pass. uv light is the cause of urethane break down.

hey guys if you get the AUTOGLASS mag for july and august turn to page40 and it has a urethane guide.

Now we don't use sika and could careless about all this but on page 44 it shows the temperatures for sika and they all show 40 F plus.

It's not just Sika's primer. No company has a primer useable under 40 Temp. (that I am aware of)I have checked Essex, Sika and Sterling.

Just one more reason we inform customers that we do not perform MOBILE replacements under 40 degrees.

Under 40 degrees, We dont do installs if the temp is below 48 degrees I dont like the cold thats why I moved away from Beloit,Wisconsin TOOOO COOOOOOOLD.

Beloit,thats warm,try northern wisc!Cooooooooooold

All the manufactors state if there is no black frit
the w/shield needs to be primed to protect it from the UV rays and there are non that say pinchwelds are primerless with or without primerless urethane

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com